Parental Guidance: Warm Bodies and Hotel Transylvania

Summary

We've got a spook-tacular pair of cinematic offerings this week: the teen zombie horror/comedy/romance Warm Bodies lurches into theaters, while the silly animated monster mash-up em>Hotel Transylvania hits DVD shelves. Read on to find out what's appropriate for the whole family. Back to Article

Comments

Balls McHammer

kolya Fist

Hotel Transylvania was good! Best film ever? No. But it was light years better than the crap Pixar shovels out, what seems, year after year.

Jan 30 - 04:48 PM

Gregory Sorum

Gregory Sorum

I thought it sucked.

Jan 30 - 05:20 PM

Good for you!

Jan 31 - 03:06 PM

Spencer Kain

Spencer Kain

Pixar and crap? Ya I don't think so.

Jan 30 - 05:48 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Have you even seen Brave and Cars 2?

Jan 30 - 08:45 PM

Errol Teichert

Errol Teichert

Brave was a great film. Not Pixar's best, but a beautiful piece of filmmaking with an old-school story FOR CHILDREN. Cars 2 was bad though.

Jan 30 - 11:06 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

2 crappy movies out of what, 12? 13? That's not too bad.

Jan 31 - 04:15 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Most of Pixar's movies are very good. I personally do not like the "Toy Story" and "Cars" movies, Finding nemo, or Up (great first ten minutes, absolute drivel after that). But the rest of them are quite good and that includes "Brave".

Jan 31 - 05:01 AM

kolya Fist

Well, that's a restrained review from a Pixar fan, and I can respect that, humbly disagree, but respect that.

Jan 31 - 03:09 PM

kolya Fist

Every one of their films is another exercise in derivative schmaltzy crowd pleasing crap. Monster's Inc, I'll give you, was at least a little creative. Everything after that is just heavy handed silly junk. Up! went from weirdly inappropriate for children to being just too damn stupid for them. Pixar makes dumb popcorn movies, and that's fine. What up's my chuck is how people fawn over them, and then you see the writers, directors, et all jumping up their own aces. I remember seeing Wall-E dumbfounded at how boring and bad it was. I remember thinking, "Wait, what? Do these twits actually think they're real artists?"

Jan 31 - 03:14 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Personally, I wish most romances in live action films could be half as touching as the romance between Eve and Wall-e. The amount of emotion Wall-e was able to show in the slightest movements alone makes the guys at Pixar real artists in my book.

And how is Up too stupid for kids? There was a surprising amount of depth to Carl, Russel and even Doug rather than simply being the grumpy old man, energetic kid, talking dog they would be if Up had been done by a lesser studio. And all the best of Walt Disney's movies had moments that some would view as inappropiate for Children. Remember Dumbo meeting his mother? Or Pinnochio going to pleasure island? Or Bambi finding himself alone in the forrest? That's what I love about Pixar. Just like Walt Disney they treat their films as art and don't dumb them down for kids. Even their most kid friendly flick, Cars 2, had a much more complicated plot than most animated films.

Feb 1 - 06:57 AM

Jesse Brauning

Jesse Brauning

You seem to live in an alternate reality.

Jan 30 - 07:35 PM

Daniel Frohm

Daniel Frohm

I liked it. Wasn't great. But I pretty much enjoyed every Pixar movie better than it. (With the exception of Cars 2.)

Jan 30 - 07:47 PM

D.j. Nichols

D.j. Nichols

Wait what? Pixar has given us some of the greatest films of all time. (Wall-e, Up, Finding Nemo, all three Toy Story movies) All great movies that are kid films, but actually have much deeper themes than children understand, which makes them even better because it's a whole different experience when watching it with some life experience. Pixar is doing just fine.

Jan 30 - 08:48 PM

kolya Fist

LOL - Sorry pal, "...greatest films of all time"? You really need to see more films, outside the Pixar cannon.

Jan 31 - 03:17 PM

vyrpalmeris

Ryan Palmer

I agree, if you categorize them as some of the greatest CHILDREN'S movies of all time. Absolutely. Some of the more recent ones not so much, but Pixar certainly has made a number of masterpieces that I would consider some of the best movies ever made. Outside the Pixar cannon, Kung Fu Panda is the only movie I can think of that comes close to the same production quality. I have two little kids so I have pretty much seen them all... multiple times.

Feb 3 - 07:32 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Pixar just has its own style

Jan 30 - 09:22 PM

Trevor M.

Trevor Merrill

You clearly don't have any appreciation for quality filmmaking if you think Pixar is crap. Pixar has only had 2 sub-par films (Cars and Cars 2) and not everyone liked Brave, but that was simply due to the high expectations that come from the Pixar name. They make a film a year, and only one film a year, which is why they are such high quality. I have studied Pixar films in my film classes for their excellent story structure and John Lasseter is my hero.

Jan 30 - 10:15 PM

Andrew Cuthbertson

Andrew Cuthbertson

If I may, the reason Cars and Cars 2 were received so lukewarmly, is because they weren't meant to be billion-dollar widespread hits. They were basically John's gift to himself and his niche, in celebration of their other massive successes. Lasseter's always been a massive motorsports nut, and I can assure you that if you are as well, those movies instantly become amazing. I can understand how a non-fan would fail to get into them, but I can assure you that if they were targeted at the wide audience, they wouldn't have been nearly as special for us few. He knew what he was doing.

Jan 31 - 12:55 AM

inlibdingcolor

Ian McDaniel

He knew what he was doing when he spend nearly a billion dollars on movies you say only appeal to motorsports fans? Never mind that the movies actually have little to do with motorsports, and can be counted as mainstream successes, at least in terms of merchandising. I respect John, and you clearly do too, but you're making him sound needlessly self-indulgent and delusional.

Feb 1 - 09:02 PM

Dean Wirth

Dean Wirth

Hotel Transylvania was lame

Jan 31 - 03:11 PM

Scott Miller

Scott Miller

Pixar crap? I don't think so. Not all have been great, but hardly crap. The Cars movies were niche; Toy Story was an experiment and TS3 was retread, but TS2 was aimed directly at parents and hit the mark perfectly (same with Nemo); Up! was much, much deeper than it is generally given credit for; Wall-E dared to be cute and innocent in a cynical world. The only problem with Pixar is that their movies have to cater to the tastes of the "entertain me!" generation in order to make enough money. But Pixar still manages to put honest emotion and thought into their films, which is more than I can say for 95% of what comes out of Hollywood.

Feb 1 - 06:41 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

OP is such a troll...

Feb 1 - 09:02 AM

Gregory Sorum

Gregory Sorum

I thought it sucked.

Jan 30 - 05:20 PM

Good for you!

Jan 31 - 03:06 PM

Spencer Kain

Spencer Kain

Pixar and crap? Ya I don't think so.

Jan 30 - 05:48 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Have you even seen Brave and Cars 2?

Jan 30 - 08:45 PM

Errol Teichert

Errol Teichert

Jan 30 - 11:06 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

2 crappy movies out of what, 12? 13? That's not too bad.

Jan 31 - 04:15 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Jan 31 - 05:01 AM

Jan 31 - 03:09 PM

Jan 31 - 03:14 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Feb 1 - 06:57 AM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I thought Hotel Transylvania was a good film. Not as good as ParaNorman and Frankenweenie but fine for what it is.

Jan 30 - 06:29 PM

Jesse Brauning

Jesse Brauning

You seem to live in an alternate reality.

Jan 30 - 07:35 PM

Daniel Frohm

Daniel Frohm

Jan 30 - 07:47 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Have you even seen Brave and Cars 2?

Jan 30 - 08:45 PM

Errol Teichert

Errol Teichert

Jan 30 - 11:06 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

2 crappy movies out of what, 12? 13? That's not too bad.

Jan 31 - 04:15 AM

Jan 31 - 12:55 AM

inlibdingcolor

Ian McDaniel

Feb 1 - 09:02 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

2 crappy movies out of what, 12? 13? That's not too bad.

Jan 31 - 04:15 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Jan 31 - 05:01 AM

Jan 31 - 03:09 PM

F?rat Kayc?

F?rat Kayc?

selam

Jan 31 - 05:30 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Hotel Transylvania did not ZING with me.

Jan 31 - 12:29 PM

kolya Fist

LOL! This comment Zings with me!

Jan 31 - 03:17 PM