Critics Consensus: Warm Bodies is a Date Night of the Living Dead

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got a zombie rom-com (Warm Bodies, starring Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer), an aging hit man (Bullet to the Head, starring Sylvester Stallone), and aging ex-cons (Stand Up Guys, starring Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin.) What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Kids, don't be so stupid to fall for a Zombie Romeo and Juliet. That's just sad bait.

The Sundance docs look good (and I'm eagerly waiting for "The Summit" and "Muscle Shoals" as well), but the real tasty dish here is de la Iglesia's new film. His "Day of the Beast" and "Last Circus" are already cult classics, and this one has Salma Hayek (alas, too old for Satanica Pandemonium anymore). Still, that should be a treat.

Movies like "Ghosts of Georgia" make it really hard to appreciate the humor of a title like "Reno 911: Miami" anymore.

Jan 31 - 04:06 PM

shadypotential

Chris Cox

what? This is the same guy that directed 50/50. at least give it a chance kids

Jan 31 - 04:58 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

oh yeah . . . 50/50 THAT movie . . . a comedy with heart. Good for the young crowd. Personally I'm seeing THE TIN DRUM in 35MM tomorrow at 6:30 PM at Cornell University.

Jan 31 - 08:37 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

76% is pretty good. And 50/50 was pretty good. Enjoy Cornell.

Feb 1 - 12:47 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Hey I will glady see a Rom Com with Nicholas Hold, John Malcovich, and Teresa Palmer wiht my wife over another Rom Com starring Shovel Face and No Emotion.

Feb 1 - 03:01 PM

Josh Evans

Zombie Romeo and Juliet is still more interesting than Romeo and Juliet.

Feb 2 - 05:49 PM

King  S.

King Simba

There's a reason Romeo and Juliet has remained so popular for so long. It's a classic story with a premises that can work in almost any setting. I don't see what's so sad about giving it a zombie twist anymore than giving it a 1950s musical twist (West Side Story). Besides, as Chris said, it's directed by the guy who did 50/50, so it'll most likely be a lot better than most of the other young adult adaptations coming out this year.

Feb 1 - 05:52 AM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Agreed. Hunger Games and Twilight can suck a dick!

Feb 1 - 06:32 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Exactly and the only huge problem with 50/50 was Seth Rogan. SO it will be great to see this director cut loose with out a Seth Rogan on his back.

Feb 1 - 03:02 PM

Debra Hamtan

Debra Hamtan

Hear hear Bradly.

Feb 2 - 09:15 AM

Janson Jinnistan

"West Side Story"? I'm not a big musical fan, but shifting the R&J story to ethnic NYC street gangs makes a lot more sense than adding a nonsensical zombie element (of course any 'rules' about a zombie's capacity for human emotion must be thrown out the window, making it equally ridiculous to both genres).

I guess this is a bad time to mention that I wasn't terribly impressed with "50/50" either.

Feb 1 - 04:44 PM

Josh Evans

West Side Story was bollocks.

Feb 2 - 05:50 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

50/50 is why people gets excited for Warm Bodies. That, and the book was entertaining too.

Feb 3 - 06:13 AM

Felix Pena

Felix Pena

Cause West Side Story was so realistic with NY street gangs dancing and singing....

Feb 3 - 03:48 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Thank God we don't have any Zombie Musicals yet, but this a step in that direction.

Feb 3 - 04:19 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Bullet to the Head will probably perform like Arnie's Last Stand. Really like seeing these guys in film again though.

I'm also going to venture a guess of 9% on Haunting in Conneticut in Georgia, jeez that's one contradicting horrible title.

Jan 31 - 04:43 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Its a Walter Hill film. I'll see it out of principle.

Feb 1 - 12:49 AM

Janson Jinnistan

What was his last good movie? "Johnny Handsome"? "Extreme Prejudice"? It hurts me to say, as I'm a big fan of his 78-84 work.

Feb 1 - 04:46 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I do like Trespass and Last Man Standing but he has been slipping for sure. He's been in Hollywood too long and lost his edge. Bullet in the Head looks terrible but... I'll probably still see it.

Feb 1 - 10:03 PM

shadypotential

Chris Cox

what? This is the same guy that directed 50/50. at least give it a chance kids

Jan 31 - 04:58 PM

Dave J

Dave J

As a person who who loves action films without CGI it's "Bullet To The Head" for me!

Jan 31 - 05:10 PM

Josh Evans

As a professional visual effects artist. I'll pass.

Feb 2 - 05:50 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Yeah, why do viewers even need actors anymore when they can just use CGI!

Feb 4 - 02:52 PM

Wade Tubbs

Wade Tubbs

Dang. I was hoping for "The Stand Up Guys" to be Oscar Worthy material. Don't care much for any of the others.

Jan 31 - 06:01 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

So I guess Warm Bodies is basically a Zombie version of Twilight. I have to admit the premise does seem intriguing, as there has been a major zombie overdose in all types of fictional media in the last few years but none that has gone in this type of direction. I wonder how well it will perform at the box office. This film lacks the massive hype the Twilight Franchise and it's (demographic and economic) successor, The Hunger Games Franchise enjoy but I still would bet on it winning the box office this weekend seeing as how this year has skewed heavily in R rated films so far (and only Mama having any real appeal to teen girls, Warm Bodies will appeal to them even more than that film). And of course teen girls are one of the least affect demos by the Super Bowl this Sunday.

Bullet to the Head seems similar to Arnie's Last Stand (except Stallone didn't take a lengthy break from acting). It should do better than Last Stand but not by much.

Stand Up Guys is opening in too few theaters and reviews are too mediocre (older folks are more sensitive to professional reviews than other demographics) to make much of an impact at the box office this first weekend of February.

Jan 31 - 06:15 PM

David Saldana-Montgomery

David Saldana-Montgomery

Beyond affection between a girl and an undead boy, it has not much else in common with "Twilight". It's wickedly funny, shares a nice "Zombieland"-esque taste for skewing the genre, and knows how to play the romance just enough without getting out of hand; Hoult and Palmer are energetic, sweet, and really funny and def. not the morose pair of Patterson/Stewart.

Jan 31 - 09:45 PM

PR

Feb 1 - 04:47 PM

Jaclyn Tsang

Jaclyn Tsang

^^

Feb 2 - 12:59 PM

Josh Evans

I thought the same Adam until I saw the trailer, give it a chance and you might be surprised.

Feb 2 - 05:51 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Warm Bodies is based on a YA novel that is self-aware and does not take itself seriously, instead of going for 'epic' and such. That's one reason to see it.

Bullet To The Head is more similar to The Last Stand than you think. Both of them pit 'good immigrants' against 'bad immigrants', except in Arnold's film the hero is the former while in Stallone's movie it's the 'good cop' partner. It also shares something with Jack Reacher, in which a disabled evil property developer from a foreign country is also the villain.

Feb 3 - 06:19 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I don't think I'll take "Warm Bodies" seriously either.

Feb 3 - 01:34 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

I'll skip Warm Bodies. Sure it's doing something different w/ the zombie sub-genre, but different doesn't always mean good. I'm still gonna check out Bullet to the Head, though I hope it turns out better than The Last Stand.

Jan 31 - 06:34 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

You the guy from The Bronx who doesn't like DIE HARD --- faaaarr out, man. The Die Hard movies are awesome (Die Hard 3 wasn't so hot though).

Jan 31 - 08:43 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

The new one is gonna be so exciting. I hope I'm right.

Feb 1 - 06:33 AM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I hope it will be "a good day" when it comes out.

Feb 1 - 03:36 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

I'm definitely gonna give Warm Bodies a shot. It's directed by the same guy who did 50/50 and the reviews have been good borderline great so I'll give it a shot. I'm gonna refrain from talking crap about this film(unlike a few people)until I actually see it. I may see Bullet in the Head. I like Sly so this may be worth it despite a generic premise. I want to see Stand Up Guys but the reviews may keep me away. I may see it at some point though.

Jan 31 - 07:27 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Only problem I have with Warm Bodies is I can hear us already having to hear the term "Zom Com" over and over again in the years to come if it's a success.

Jan 31 - 08:11 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

you got a point there. that name will get old pretty fast. but i really hope this movie is a success.....

Jan 31 - 09:38 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I know. Whoever coined that term is feeling pretty pleased with himself right now.

Feb 1 - 08:29 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Uh, am I the only one here that remembers SHAUN OF THE DEAD being advertised in the trailers as ROMZOMCOM?

Feb 1 - 02:47 PM

Josh Evans

You are correct Mick it was, so was Fido.

Feb 2 - 05:52 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 31 - 08:11 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

Jan 31 - 09:38 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Feb 1 - 08:29 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Feb 1 - 02:47 PM

Josh Evans

You are correct Mick it was, so was Fido.

Feb 2 - 05:52 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jan 31 - 08:37 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

76% is pretty good. And 50/50 was pretty good. Enjoy Cornell.

Feb 1 - 12:47 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Feb 1 - 03:01 PM

Josh Evans

Zombie Romeo and Juliet is still more interesting than Romeo and Juliet.

Feb 2 - 05:49 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jan 31 - 08:43 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

The new one is gonna be so exciting. I hope I'm right.

Feb 1 - 06:33 AM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I hope it will be "a good day" when it comes out.

Feb 1 - 03:36 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

checking out Bullet to The Head and Warm Bodies this weekend, Girls Against Boys isn't playing anywhere where I am so Im skipping everything else

Jan 31 - 09:10 PM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

Zom-Com? I like that.

Feb 1 - 12:45 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

76% is pretty good. And 50/50 was pretty good. Enjoy Cornell.

Feb 1 - 12:47 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Its a Walter Hill film. I'll see it out of principle.

Feb 1 - 12:49 AM

Feb 1 - 04:46 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Feb 1 - 10:03 PM

ruastar1

ray uhler

I was looking forward to Stand Up Guys, but now, not so much.

Feb 1 - 04:58 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Feb 1 - 05:52 AM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Agreed. Hunger Games and Twilight can suck a dick!

Feb 1 - 06:32 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Feb 1 - 03:02 PM

Debra Hamtan

Debra Hamtan

Hear hear Bradly.

Feb 2 - 09:15 AM

Feb 1 - 04:44 PM

Josh Evans

West Side Story was bollocks.

Feb 2 - 05:50 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships