Washington Square Reviews

bbcfloridabound
August 10, 2009
Another from the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival, this festival was loaded with outstanding films, Film list can be obtained on the net. So far I have watched about 18 of them and have yet to be disappointed. This Film is based on the novel written by Henry James. This one is about a young girl who stands to inherited a fortune and her suitor is in question by her father, as to his motives. The time period is portrayed well along with outstanding actors, make this film worth seeing. I have to rate it 4 stars.
December 27, 2012
Holland's treatment of Washington Square goes across the line of the interesting into something quite dull. When Jennifer Jason Leigh flops down dramatically in the midst of the film, it represented the most exciting thing about it. Zzzzzz...
iLeo
December 19, 2007
An interesting film!
August 11, 2012
YAY! Another favorite to add to my love of period pieces! Jennifer Jason Leigh does a fantastic job as an awkward shy woman who falls for a handsome suitor. This kept me guessing even though I had suspicions. Wonderful!
March 6, 2007
This was a very surprising movie. I enjoyed it a lot. Not predictable like I expected. Totally recommend it :)
June 8, 2014
Needlessly stupidly dreadful love story: a waste of good film.
January 31, 2013
An interesting watch to be sure, but JJ Leigh's quirky portrayal didn't capture a daughter even a flinty heartbroken father would sequester. I found each of the four main characters were so emotionally torqued that their interactions became a sort of screwball tragedy. Fascinating nonetheless.
½ July 9, 2012
Breathtaking and powerfull. Jennifer jason Leigh still captivates me.
June 11, 2006
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4]I was in a Jane Austen frame of mind. Of course my favorite of the three is Pride And Prejudice. This 2005 version was just beautifully made. Keira Knightley was just perfect as Elizabeth Bennet.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4]The only movie that was not a Jane Austen book was Washington Square. It was written by Henry James. It stars Jennifer Jason Leigh and Ben Chaplin. I thought it was done well. And I am finally was able to watch it.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4]Emma of course another Jane Austen classic. I am not much of a Gwyneth Paltrow fan. But I really enjoyed her in this one. Another well made period piece.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4]I would say check these out and tell me what you think.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4]Donna A.[/size][/font]
½ April 8, 2006
[font=Tahoma]Full review to come.[/font]
June 12, 2005
DECENT REMAKE OF THE HEIRESS WITH OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND, BUT I FOUND IT A BIT TALKY AND TEDIOUS AT TIMES. SURPRISINGLY WELL ACTED BY JENNIFER JASON LEIGH. WELL PRODUCEWD AND PRETTY TO LOOK AT. GOOD STORY.