Washington Square Reviews

June 8, 2014
Needlessly stupidly dreadful love story: a waste of good film.
January 31, 2013
An interesting watch to be sure, but JJ Leigh's quirky portrayal didn't capture a daughter even a flinty heartbroken father would sequester. I found each of the four main characters were so emotionally torqued that their interactions became a sort of screwball tragedy. Fascinating nonetheless.
December 27, 2012
Holland's treatment of Washington Square goes across the line of the interesting into something quite dull. When Jennifer Jason Leigh flops down dramatically in the midst of the film, it represented the most exciting thing about it. Zzzzzz...
October 22, 2012
A slow-moving literary adaptation, 'Washington Square' faithfully brings to the screen the Henry James novel of the same name, with sets and costumes depicting New York city in the 19th century. The film is somewhat pedestrian, in keeping with its source material, but the performances are wonderful, especially Jennifer Jason Leigh who plays a doctor's daughter who is at first somewhat simple, docile and shy but later comes into her own, earning her independence through a long, drawn-out period of quiet desperation.
August 11, 2012
YAY! Another favorite to add to my love of period pieces! Jennifer Jason Leigh does a fantastic job as an awkward shy woman who falls for a handsome suitor. This kept me guessing even though I had suspicions. Wonderful!
½ July 9, 2012
Breathtaking and powerfull. Jennifer jason Leigh still captivates me.
½ May 8, 2012
Yet another year where Jennifer just blows away the material with her acting. She was a force playing Catherine the modest only child of a rich doctor in late 19th Century New York.
½ May 3, 2012
i loved it, i wish i could be as strong as she was in this.
½ February 27, 2012
HATED IT EVEN MORE THE A RAISIN IN THE SUN
½ February 21, 2012
Weird yet ultimately compelling; Leigh in particular has a tough transformation to execute and makes it convincing. Remember Ben Chaplin? Seems like a long time ago.
February 9, 2011
too depressing for me
bbcfloridabound
August 10, 2009
Another from the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival, this festival was loaded with outstanding films, Film list can be obtained on the net. So far I have watched about 18 of them and have yet to be disappointed. This Film is based on the novel written by Henry James. This one is about a young girl who stands to inherited a fortune and her suitor is in question by her father, as to his motives. The time period is portrayed well along with outstanding actors, make this film worth seeing. I have to rate it 4 stars.
April 30, 2007
looks interesting...
½ May 6, 2008
HATED IT EVEN MORE THE A RAISIN IN THE SUN
iLeo
December 19, 2007
An interesting film!
September 21, 2007
Such a dark movie. I didnt manage to completely understand it.
September 11, 2007
It's so heartbreaking but it's a great story and it's clean but has wonderful passionate scenes.
May 8, 2007
A very good film. The two best actors were Maggie Smith and Albert Finney.
½ May 13, 2007
Seen it a couple of times and always think she acts very odd. But it is a change from the way period pieces always portray love and marriage...