20% Transcendence Apr 18

The Watcher Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 7, 2009
Cast: James Spader, Keanu Reeves, Marisa Tomei, Ernie Hudson, Chris Ellis, Robert Cicchini, Jenny McShane, Rich Komenich

Director: Joe Charbanic, Jeff Jensen

Summary: Burned out after failing to bust a sadistic serial killer in Los Angeles, FBI agent Joel Campbell (James Spader) retires to Chicago. But the killer (Keanu Reeves) refuses to leave the lawman alone, and begins furnishing new clues designed to drive him mad. To motivate Campbell to rejoin the cat-and-mouse chase, the killer sends photos of his next victims. But it's up to Campbell to try to save them first.

My Thoughts: "I liked it. Thought it was a good thriller. It's just you see so many movies about serial killers they all start looking the same. But I enjoyed Keanu Reeves playing the bad guy. Love him, Spader and Tomei. They were my reasons for watching this flick. They all did a great job. The movie is never slow, and it keeps you interested all the way through. Good rental."
deano
deano

June 11, 2009
Tense, twisting plot, great ending. The relationship between the characters in this crime drama sets it apart from other serial killer movies. In fact, I would have like another 15 minutes in the movie to bring out these relationship even more. I would have like a little more elaboration on what happened in the past between James Spader and Keanu Reeves. Reeves plays as the serial killer is very well.
Dean !

March 1, 2007
An average thriller about a serial killer who taunts the FBI detective who has been on his case for the past few years. Watchable, but pretty straight forward compared to most thrillers.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
I love bad Keanu. :)
Luke B

July 30, 2008
According to reports of Keanu never wanting to do this film it comes as no surprise his performance is more vacant and uninteresting than usual. Spader has a few moments to shine but a lot of the film moves very quickly and then stops suddenly. We are treated to a repetitous plot as not 1 but 2 girls are hunted, one straight after the other. It adds to nothing as in the end Keanu just presents himself. Not in the shocking Se&en type way, just casually. Ther eis a lot of talk about the Ying and Yang, cop not being able to live without the villain and vice versa but it's hidden under a turd of a film. The useless stylistic choices for flashbacks and so forth also distract rather than capture the imagination. Not dark, not interesting and quite frankly it wouldn't of mattered to me who had died, lived, won or lost.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

June 8, 2008
Another stinker i watched thanks to some friends. Probably the laziest performances i have seen in my life. Yes, Keanu is even duller here from what he usually is.
boxman
boxman

February 23, 2006
[font=Arial][color=darkred]'The Watcher' doesn't do much, if realistically anything important, but it does prove that Keanu Reeves is more cardboard than cut-out. Reeves plays a serial killer with no distinct edge or angle, in fact he'd be more of a stalking man child if he just didn't kill his victims in the end. Anyway, the plot is a rehash of other serial killer vehicals; James Spader has a limited time to rescue a victim, he's haunted by the ones he's failed, Keanu is a killer with too much free time to overly plan elaborate set-ups etc.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]The film's shattering pillar is personified in Keanu. Keanu may be the goofiest serial killer in all of western civilization. Every twitch, dumbfounded stare of aloofness, or one-toned droning moronic voice only add to the feelings of Keanu as a wanderingly lost special needs student and not as someone dangerous. Maybe this was the desired effect but I doubt it.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]A more interesting prospect arouses when you consider what the movie could've been had the male leads switched characters. As it stands, 'The Watcher' is a lifeless and tired strain of an experience. One, I might add, that allows Keanu to light entire rooms with dainty candles with his added spare time.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Nate's Grade: D+ [/color][/font]
John B

December 27, 2012
Dull Keanu in a dull film. It seems like I've seen hundreds of these. Yeah yeah, dramatic tension if you can suspend your disbelief significantly. Bordering on a waste of time.
lopcar1993
lopcar1993

September 5, 2009
This film is unique in it's approach towards the serial killer story. Does it draw you in? Yes it does. Does it give you a dark, foreboding and sinister story? Oh you bet it does! The Watcher is an extremely entertaining if not almost borderline on brilliant film making on a rare and unique scale. This film embodies a certain flare and style that you have to be open minded and somewhat of a serial Killer thriller lover to really appreciate this film style and grandeur of it to see the murky and dark brilliance that lays beneath it all.

This movie is not a particularly mind blowing SK thriller but it does have it's moments that it really jumps out at you and there are a few moments in the movie that you just jump in fright and that's when you know your watching a good thriller. Keanu( Who I thought was good in this as the SK but not quite good enough.) turns in a rather impressive performance as David Alan Griffin a man who lives to kill, a man who thrives on taking away another' s life. A man who lurks in the shadows and watches you and admires you like a cat before he kills a mouse Keanu's serial killer was ingenious in his planning and his methods were very smart and clean but what lacked here was the fact that none of his victim's had an adverse affect on the story, that was the only let down but besides that it was interesting to watch him work.

James Spader plays a very convincing cop in this film, but not to convincing there are some scenes where you see almost no emotion or empathy for the victims of Griffin at all but that is easy to put to the side what redeems Spader in this film is his relentless chase of Griffin and his iron determination to bring him down. That's what saves Spader and that's what makes it fun to watch him work.

Marisa Tomei this film could have done with out she really lowered the standards with her bland and very bad performance as the compassionate Psychiatrist( I mean she won an oscar for crying out loud!! She can do better than than this!) she really made it almost a drag to see her on screen (but hey at least she's nice to look at.) all in all she was the main weak point in this film not Keanu.

When you over look the main outer layers of the story and get dug and see the inner layers you can fully comprehend and see the near greatness of this film and the great style it brings to the the thriller genre all in all The Watcher delivers great edge of your seat, blow out the lights entertainment you can't over look. Basically this film flat out rocks.
jimbotender
jimbotender

November 18, 2008
Hollywood crap-festo with yet another lukewarm serial-killer,by Jove,women are his target!!!Spader is doing his best,alas..the wills of nature cry out loud..: stop harassing the police/horror genre!!!!
Deb S

November 27, 2008
Interesting plot but it could have been a lot more thrilling.
iLeo
iLeo

December 28, 2007
Interesting.
tmannamt
October 5, 2010
Not that bad, interesting to see Keanu in a bad guy role, but this is nothing but a disposable flick.
lennyd44
August 18, 2009
Lazy acting, horrendous dialogue, bad editing, horrible script. When I see Keanu, I see blandness, not a serial killer. I'd rather watch 5 min of Kevin Spacey's portrayal as serial killer than this whole mess.
JaredsBaby
May 26, 2008
It doesn't get any better than James Spader and Keanu Reeves, and it was nice to see Keanu in a different role playing a crazy killer really suited him
March 6, 2008
i thought the movie was just ok... i thought i'd like the change of pace they did while making it by showing the killer right away when it started but otherwise it was just ok
lnse
October 30, 2007
Not really what I was looking for, although the storyline had potential & suspence.

I thought it was weird watching Reeves as a serial killer. I thought it was a very off role for him, which is why maybe I couldn't really get into this movie.

I got sick of watching Spader speak of past mistakes & seeing his frequent flashbacks from his past affair.

I did however find the relationship between Spader & Reeves somewhat interesting... the talks, the frequent missing each other thru out the movie.

I would say skip it, unless you want a boring, yet kinda fun serial killer movie with a little bit of suspence.
irshchck45672000
May 2, 2007
"yd u move to chicago...it FREAKING COLD here" ....i live in illinois...hell yeah it is...or the other good line "here ill even let u have my gun" "ooo its loaded"
April 18, 2007
Keanu Reeves: Serial Killer. Its really refreshing to see Keanu to play the bad guy. Wait... not only the bad guy but a serial killer! He plays a killer that watches his victims and plans out there deaths. He knows exactly what time he will kill them. He uses a piano wire (as seen on the movie poster). He gets a detective involved to give him the opportunity to catch him (for sport, I guess). This movie will end differently than you expect. Be forewarned.
spiritlighthealing
April 2, 2007
Good chemistry between Keanu Reeves and James Spader. Nicely done, but not overdone. A good departure from hero roles for Keanu.