New Watchmen Info and Stills!

First look at Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach!

Watchmen director Zack Snyder has issued another update from the set of his highly anticipated adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' graphic novel, and what he has to say -- and show -- should only increase fans' excitement for the film.

In a post titled simply "The Backlot," Snyder goes into detail on what went into building the set's Vancouver stand-in for New York City, sharing the following details:

5,800 feet of neon requiring 24,000 watts of power
100 unique and custom-designed graphics created for the various storefronts
5,000 square feet of custom posters
Street had to work for 1938, 1945, 1953, 1957, 1964, 1974, 1975, 1977, and 1985
1,040 feet of 1:1 scale New York streets
98,400 square feet of exterior scenery
12,500 square feet of interior scenery
Building heights range from 23'9" to 42'6"
10,325 16-foot 2x4s
3,600 sheets of OSB (plywood-like construction material)
384,000 square feet of foam brick
200,000 nails
3,500 tubes of construction adhesive
160,000 lbs. of steel I-beams support the facades
300 cubic meters of concrete
6,000 square feet of glass
4,800 square feet of plexiglass
20,000 donuts were consumed by the construction crew
20,000 gallons of water and 3,000 gallons of Gatorade was drunk by the crew

Pretty interesting stuff -- but that isn't all. Snyder also shares four stills from the set, including one featuring Jackie Earle Haley prowling the streets as Rorschach. Click on each image for its hi-res version!

Watchmen is scheduled to hit theaters March 6, 2009.

Source: Watchmen
Source: IGN Movies

Comments

Ender7406

Andrew Raine

And I just crapped myself. The vision is PERFECT. Snyder was the RIGHT man for the job.

Nov 27 - 06:24 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

Wow. I hear you, Ender, I just wet my pants. It's....perfect! Wahoo!!!

Nov 27 - 06:41 AM

the archon

The Archon

I am more than a little worried about Snyder directing... as a MAJOR fan of the graphic novel 300, I did not like what he did with it. Dont get me wrong, the feel of the action scenes were amazing,a s was the setting. I just did not ernjoy the scenes taking polace back in Sparta, or the added romancing. just uneeded, making me worried about some of the dialogue and characters, especially involving the Night Owl... also there is SO much content in the graphic novel, and SO many details..... just my thoughts though.

Nov 27 - 06:54 AM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

Never read the graphic novel, i did skim through it once in a shop though, and just from memory this film LOOKS awsome.

I wasnt bothered about it at all untill i saw those pics. But the street scenes and atmosphere look deliciously 80s/ 70s.

Also reminds me of the streets in Burtons first Batman.
Very gritty and atmospheric. Looking forward to this now.

Nov 27 - 06:57 AM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

And to Archon, I read 300, the day after seeing the movie, and aside from the fact that in the movie, everyone had PANTS on (thank god) The movie was frame for frame perfection of the graphic novel.

It did not stray from either the drawings in the novel, or even the dialogue. It was a word for word translation of the graphic novel. THATS what was awsome about 300.

How many people complain about a film made about a movie of a game, that looks nothing like the game? Or a book? Or a comic? EVERYONE!

300 and Zak Snyder, broke that rule and made the film 99% like the novel. Wether you liked the film or not is beside the point.

Nov 27 - 07:03 AM

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

But the real question is did you read Sin City's 3 stories before seeing the movie? THAT was frame-by-frame from the comic, not a single added piece to it. 300 DID add the "back in Sparta" sequences, political "intrigue", and buffed up the romantic side of it. It was not a frame by frame, also noted in many of the battle scenes as they made the Immortals essentially goblins and then added a bunch of weird critters to have fight the Spartans... not to mention the battle scenes were not filled with huge presses of soldiers crashing into one another (only seen in the first battle sequence and then largely disbanded afterwards), instead the movie has the Spartans running around out of formation and kicking all kinds of *** (cool, but NOT the comic). I liked the movie but don't say it didn't take a lot of artistic license over the comic because it definitely did.

Nov 27 - 07:04 PM

Orangecinema

Jason baum

Rorschach, rorschach, rorshach...dammit he looks cool!!! hurm...

Nov 27 - 07:22 AM

blank blank

bob jones

bat-fink, im sure that sin city and RR broke that rule first, they didnt even have a script, they just had copies of the comic lying around...

watchmen is looking good. i was psyched about most of the casting (crudup, wilson, haley, and goode were all kick *** choices, and while malin akerman is hot, can she act? we'll see, but even if she isnt that great, sally jupiter isnt a big cornerstone of the movie like manhattan, rorschach, ozy, and to a lesser extent, nite owl)

snyder doesnt have the resume that suggests he can do watchmen justice (his movies so far are great to watch but hardly have the plot complexity of watchmen). BUT, so far, he has said all the right things, has a solid cast, and judging by these set photos, has the right visual feel for the movie. the only thing that worries me is the ending, and if snyder changes even one minor thing about it, he totally loses me..,

Nov 27 - 07:34 AM

CaptMal

AJ Wiley

I haven't enjoyed Zack Snyder's other films, but as far as the visual approach goes, he's 100% spot-on. Color me impressed.

Nov 27 - 07:37 AM

EdwardBlake

Tyler Durden

Oh my freaking god those pics are cool. He did it! Down to the fat newsstand guy's sweater!

Nov 27 - 08:15 AM

phoenixphire24

Sharon Petersen

I've only glanced through the graphic novel yet, but it looks like Snyder is really putting forth a lot of effort to make it stay true to the source material. It gives me hope!

Nov 27 - 09:51 AM

Ender7406

Andrew Raine

Right now, before you do anything else, if you haven't read the novel, go pick it up, read it, read it again, wait a week while you think about it, read it three more times, and then come back and take a look at these pictures. You will weep. Oh, you will weep.

Nov 27 - 10:26 AM

MPSolo

Matt Perloff

I like what I see, but pictures don't make the movie. For those of you who haven't read Moore's novel, there's a TON of content to cover, and as loyal as Snyder may have been with 300, he's going to have to make some decision on how to make this work as a 120-150 minute film.

Nov 27 - 12:10 PM

taran72

Dan Mills

Wow - is this a fanboy geek convention? It's frickin' stills..from a comic book movie...not due to release for almost TWO MORE YEARS. Put your dicks back in your pants. We are still talking about Zach Snyder, who is pretty good at visuals but not good at mcuh else.

Nov 27 - 12:38 PM

BlueBeardII

Ryan Burns

The reason 300 had added story was because studios were worried that there wasn't enough content. They thought people would get bored of the battles. Go figure.

But Watchmen is mostly story and less fighting so the only thing you have to worry about is him adding in fight scenes which I wouldn't complain about. He isn't going to tweak the story at all.

Nov 27 - 01:03 PM

JpPrewitt789

joe fish

A lot of people were saying that that's Rorschach in the second pic but I got the high-res ones and you can tell it isn't him.

Nov 27 - 02:40 PM

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

Nov 27 - 07:04 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Ding Ding Ding. Monkeyonaspring wins.

As for the picks, so very exciting indeed. I've read the novel a couple times and i am ready for this.

Nov 27 - 07:33 PM

Marktime

Mark Chandler

its a start, it looks great. Though I am also worried that they may buff up the few scenes of action, which would upset me alot.

Nov 27 - 07:53 PM

blank blank

bob jones

i remember snyder saying somewhere that he was going to expand on the action sequences a little. there's one panel where manhattan is a giant and blowing **** up in vietnam, he said he was going to take that panel and expand it into an action sequence. i know watchmen is not 300, as it is all story, but him beefing up the action a litte is fine with me, but i dont want any live free or die hard john mcclane jumping on a fighter jet stuff. with a watchmen movie, you are going to have to make changes, because you cant film it frame for frame, so as long as they keep the ending intact and keep the general feel of the comic, i can live with it.

im wondering what kind of music snyder is thinking of for the movie. is he going to go with an orchestra or with some bands? for some reason when reading the comic, i always picture led zeppelin as perfect accompanyment. given that 300 had a mix of the two (the nine inch nails song was pretty cool in 300), im going to guess that so will watchmen

Nov 28 - 06:42 AM

rerun717

Jim La Rose

In the end, the superfanboys will be disappointed, people who've never read it won't get it, and people who have read it but don't overly praise the book will really enjoy the film. I'm really interested in this release for that reason alone.

Nov 28 - 03:19 PM

RexLaboro

george glass

That's a good theory, rerun. I just finished reading it and I like it, but I may not be on the same page as long time super fans who have read it repeatedly and may expect too much from the film. I think expanding some action sequences arent to bad if the main story is intact which is really complicated. I'm still trying to figure some of the stuff out.

Aug 11 - 06:27 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank