See the Sets of Zack Snyder's Watchmen

Warners releases first production video blog.

Ready for a look at the sets of Zack Snyder's Watchmen?

Snyder has released the first of a planned dozen video production blogs giving viewers a look behind the scenes of the highly anticipated adaptation, including glimpses of the sets that will help bring Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' classic series to life.

What's that you say? You don't feel like watching a video blog? No problem -- Slashfilm has helpfully posted a handful of shots from the video, alongside panels from the original books, to give you an idea of how faithfully the filmmakers have reproduced the comics. Follow on to have a look!

Source: Slashfilm
Source: ComingSoon

Comments

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Didn't really get into the comic, but these sets actually look pretty good!

Apr 7 - 06:49 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

I really don't see any resemblance between the graphic novel and the movie sets at all. The sets look much cleaner and futuristic. Not complaining at all tho, I'll hold on til the movie as I don't want to see too much of the product til it's finished. I loved Watchmen and as much as I hated 300 I believe it was just the crappy source material although Snyder was responsible for making it look like a video game obviously everyone else loved watching the horrible acting, boring spear fighting and matrix slo-mo editing.

Apr 7 - 06:58 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

i don't like reading...so obviously never saw the comic...just heard things, so i couldnt' careless if its a good adaptation or not. i thought Dawn was the sh3t and 300 was frikkin amazing...so i can only assume this will be coo as well. but since they have actual sets...are they not going with the whole cgi background like 300 and Sin City had? i thought that look was really really cool. i also THOUGHT i heard thats how this was going to be shot but...with real sets...that doesn't appear to be the case. either way, this is one movie i'll definitely(unless the trailer is garbage) see opening weekend

Apr 7 - 07:24 AM

NatureBoy4

Richard Tomasello

Watchmen definitely deserves the title of masterpiece. While I'm not that familiar with the rest of Alan Moore's work, ie The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I can understand his frustrations with Hollywood dumbing down his work. The costumes and set designs for Watchmen so far are very encouraging and imply that Zack Snyder is tyring to make a very faithful adapation. Also, don't forget that he is working closely with the books' artist, Dave Gibbons. Anyone that considers themselves a comic fan really should read it.

Apr 7 - 09:31 AM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

Looks good to me. Cant wait.

Apr 7 - 09:58 AM

randal1013

Randal 1013

have to agree with delorean - i dont see many similarities between the sets and the comic pictures. maybe it'll all come together in post-production or something.

Apr 7 - 10:01 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Why does this movie have to be 11 months away? Why, dammit?

Apr 7 - 10:27 AM

thereign

lance berry

I have to say, Delorean is right: there's almost not a shred of resemblance to the comics in these pics. I loved Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, but I thought 300 was way overrated, although he did the best job he could directing what was essentially a CGI heavy live action cartoon. I love the comic Watchmen, so I'll wait and see what he does with this. Still have some faith in him.

Apr 7 - 10:38 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

Exactly how I feel. I def loved Dawn of the Dead and you already know how I feel about 300 so let's just hope he has sticking with the source material and engaging the creators of the graphic novel. Go the Robert Rodriguez route and bring Alan Moore on and let him perform his magic (he worships a snake god) on the script.

Apr 7 - 10:48 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

Apr 7 - 10:48 AM

Circe Prankster

Prentice Clark

I think the resemblance between these stills and the comic is acceptable, especially the outdoor NYC street scenes. It's supposed to look like a seedy version of NYC with a run-down auto shop, grimy newsstand, sex shops, the Gunga Diner etc. I think they captured the feel of it if not the exact template from the comic.

The other scenes shown here are interiors and in the comic they're not that specific, just a sort of generic bedroom and living room. Obviously the movie will have to round those out a little, give them a little style. It will be more important to get Ozymandias' arctic palace right, and to do a good job with Rorschach's mask, Nite Owl's ship, Doc Manhattan on Mars - the really iconic images.

Apr 7 - 12:25 PM

twinsfan2715

Tom Bidinger

i agree with prankster. remember these are just set shots, not a finished product. in the movie, most of these sets will be shown at night anyway and will have some type of finish given to them. i must say, hollis mason's (the original Nite Owl) living room looks very much like the comic.

Apr 7 - 02:51 PM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

The resemblances are in the essence and feel of the shots. Not picture perfect clones. Do we want this to look great? Or do we want it to look like Dick Tracy?

Dick Tracy looked like the basic comic book art. I found that film unwatchable. The artwork in Watchmen isnt its strong point. Its the story, so cloning the look of the artwork = instant FAIL!

Think about it.

Apr 7 - 07:26 PM

thefais

Matt Fairley

Hopefully they use good filters to get the atmosphere right. I'm looking forward to the teaser & trailer, see if this'll be good or not--as far as looking faithful to the source material

Apr 7 - 07:52 PM

thefais

Matt Fairley

Apr 7 - 07:53 PM

BowieSwimmer

Alex Smith

I would wait to judge depending on how they do the lighting. I don't think they are too far from the comic book, just they look a little too stylistic and clean. I actually think they look pretty damn good, considering all the factors that will add to these shots for the final product.
I think they actually have a great look for the quasi historical vibe from the graphic novel. I'm not afraid of Snyder getting the look right, I'm sure he can accomplish that. I'm more [much much more] concerned about the characters and plot being transfered to a movie that will be far too short given the source material...
This should be a mini series. Or short series of films. Watchmen [a true literary masterpiece, no matter what form its in] is too complex and deep for a single film. We'll see what he does.

I will agree with bat-fink on that fact that the art/look of Watchmen is not the graphic novel's strong suit, but rather the story and characterization.
Snyder will give this film a fantastic look. I'm sure his teaser/first trailer will validate that.

Also, Alan Moore has denounced everything Hollywood after his previous projects [From Hell, V for Vendetta] were seriously screwed up [in his mind, and to some degree, in mine as well]. There's no hope of him joining this, but the graphic novel's artist Dave Gibbons has given his blessing [and even drew the original teaser poster for Comic Con], which is at least seems to be a good sign.

This is way too far away!

Apr 7 - 09:54 PM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

WOW! I can't wait!!!!

Apr 8 - 09:58 AM

Jarmir

Mikael Nilsson

Looking good. Looking very good indeed.

Apr 8 - 05:49 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office