Water

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Water Reviews

June 4, 2007
Water showcases spellbinding cinematography, and understated, but remarkably effective performances from its cast. With an enthralling score from A.R Rahman, Deepa Mehta's take on the regressive religious mindset of 1930's India is delicate, spare, and stirring.
November 8, 2007
such a good. deeply moving movie.
March 1, 2014
I found adorable the little Chuyia. Water is synonymous of woman, destiny, tragedy, tears, purity and renovation. And hope, of course.
October 5, 2007
omg this was so depressing, but it was really good.
April 2, 2013
A deep and profound lesson in India's horrible past treatment of child bride widows that is still sadly part of its present in some areas. This movie sets the viewer on the road to compassionate outrage.
February 4, 2013
Mehta has an interesting view into the mind of a very young widow, trying to accept the life she is now living. The criticism being made here is at times straining because of the timeline discrepancies, but the film makes a strong and compelling argument and story.
February 2, 2013
"Water" is a very well acted film that's emotionally effective. Characters that at first seem to be purely "good" or "bad" gradually reveal themselves as genuinely human, with flaws and hopes and it becomes hard not to care for them as they suffer through truly unfair and even cruel circumstances imposed on them by the society they live in and also by themselves. The film works as a history lesson (being set in 1938 India) and is highly critical of many ancient traditions. That doesn't mean that the ideas in the film are dated however; many its criticisms are still applicable today and it will definitely spark discussions between the audience members. You'll feel genuine outrage and joy watching "Water" because every frame and event is convincing. In the end you feel empowered, armed with new knowledge and satisfied after seeing the drama unfold even though your heart has been broken more than once by the story. It's a brave film that takes a stand and makes you want to take on too. (Dvd, january 27, 2013)
January 23, 2013
why people can forbid love??
November 16, 2008
I've now seen Water and Earth, and if it's fair to extrapolate from those I'd say Deepa Mehta is an aesthetic genius. The movies are beautiful, intense, and passionate, and leave you sort of awestruck by the end.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
December 4, 2011
this was a surprisingly emotive film. it was shot beautifully, but in terms of plot/character it was somewhat lacking. the character of narayan in particular comes to mind, as one dimensional and hollow. the film also didn't seem to have real direction and the events that happened seemed arbitrary and for that reason couldn't keep our attention - making the film feel long and boring. having said this though, the film did a wonderful job of capturing certain moments of deep emotion, no associated with a particular character, but just with seeing how terrible life was for the widows and feeling their deep pain. the film also excelled thematically with a message that rings true even in today's southern asia, which is a near-impossible feat given that the film achieved its theme with almost no help from plot or character.
November 10, 2012
This story of the abandoned widows in India will rip your heart and shock you to the core. So beautifully lensed, told and acted, it has to be one of the best imports from India.
October 1, 2012
very nice and different movie
September 18, 2012
Heart breaking, hopeful, heart breaking.
September 8, 2012
An illuminating and melancholy story about old world traditions. The cinematography is extraordinary and the acting superb. Where the film falls short is in exploring the characters in depth, treating us to very little of the backstory that brought the widows to the ashram. But although I was left wishing there has been more, the film is no doubt an engrossing story exploring the relegation of women under the guise of religious purity.

"Our Holy Books say, a wife is part of her husband while he's alive. And when our husbands die, God help us, a part of us also dies. Right? So how can a half-dead woman feel pain?"
"Because she's half alive."
Kok Hoong Fong
July 29, 2012
July 17, 2012
An amazing look into the lives of Indian women who are widows and how they are forced to live in their culture where they are deemed untouchables. The relationships amongst the women is deeply probed, their faith, their acceptance, and the greed of those who would take advantage of them is breathtaking. Incredible cinematography of urban Indian communities and the river where so much daily life takes place. Everyone should watch this movie.
April 16, 2012
One of my Top Ten. Beautifully shot, Beautifully acted.
February 7, 2012
Very interesting, different and ulitmately sad. Shot beautifully with some exceptional performances. A true Indian masterpiece, I'll definitely have to see Earth and Fire.
December 7, 2011
A beautiful and harrowing film, giving you much to think and talk about after seeing it. Mehta makes a profound statement, and entertains at the same time.