Critics Consensus: Water for Elephants Is A Little Soapy

Summary

This week at the movies we've got a big-top romance (Water for Elephants, starring Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson); a maternal fixer (Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family, starring Loretta Devine and Bow Wow), and familial felines (African Cats, narrated by Samuel L. Jackson). What do the critics have to say? Nowadays, the word "melodrama" is mostly used pejoratively, but it wasn't always so: melodramas were the stock-in-trade of great directors like George Cukor and Douglas Sirk. However, we live in more cynical times, and critics say the Depression-set Water for Elephants has an evocative sense of its time and place but lacks the burning passions required to pull off this type of romantic weepie. Back to Article

Comments

Skyler H.

skyler harrington

Unfortunately, Mr. Pattinson doesn't die. I am dreading the upcoming promos for BD as the fourth book has the most absurd plot of any installments (and that's saying a hell of a lot).

Apr 22 - 09:40 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

While I am in no way defending his fucking awful performances, I'm just saying PERHAPS he might turn ut a good performance, I just think we should wait on writing him off, who knows, he might end up being shit in every film he's in. As for Leo, I guess that wasn't the best example. How about... James Franco and Jake Gylenhall. Up until recently, I thought those two were terribad myself, now they're two of my favorite young actors working today.

Apr 22 - 10:21 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

when a film only costs 10 mil to make , it does well almost by default....lol

Apr 22 - 10:22 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Im waiting for their new movie about sqirrels...its called RATS

Apr 22 - 10:25 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

When a cheetah is chasing a wolf.... "Say 'What?' Again!! Say 'What?' Again!!"

Apr 22 - 10:39 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Does this Cheeta look like a bitch?

Apr 22 - 11:15 AM

jay z.

jay groon

Man...Pattinson just ruins EVERYTHING he's in, dosn't he?

I have literally heard from everyone that while it's a beautiful movie with a pleasently tame and old-fasioned story, Water For Elephants severly lacks on screen chemistry between it's two leads.

Which can damage a movie to no end.

Apr 22 - 11:17 AM

david h.

david hurlburt

Damn nature you scary!

Apr 22 - 11:41 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

I did a double take when I saw that T-Meter, if it sticks I might see it.

Apr 22 - 12:17 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Yeah, but damn, you hear Odin's growl? Shit was badass.

Apr 22 - 12:19 PM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

I think $30 million for Madea is a bit too optimistic, and I don't see African Cats being close to the top 5. Everything else I agree with though.

Apr 22 - 12:36 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Well Considering the last madea opened to plus 40 million I think 30 is more then reasonable. Though I would be happy to see it do less.

Apr 22 - 03:59 PM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Anything's possible I spose, but seeing only 13 critic reviews so far must mean there isn't much buzz this time, hopefully.

Apr 22 - 07:24 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Yeah, you're right Watcher. :)

Apr 22 - 12:53 PM

Obamarama O.

Obamarama O

Yall go in see your stupid vampire elephants. I'm seeing Madea cuz taht shit is funny! I get all my posse together and we go and we have fun! The crowd is hyped and laughing its always a good time at the movies!!

Apr 22 - 01:25 PM

The NewHampshire Database

Kirk McCarty

Let me guess...you're black.

Apr 23 - 08:52 AM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Those Tyler Perry movies are really made fast. There's always like 2 or 3 a year. Ugh.

Apr 23 - 12:46 PM

Aurora B.

Aurora Bellard

cuz he likes Madea he has to be black? really? i feel like we should be past this. Because i'm black and i don't care for Madea at all.

Apr 23 - 04:08 PM

Corey H.

Corey Helfand

Dude, that was kinda awfully racist of you.

Apr 24 - 02:33 PM

Not L.

Not Likely

How is that racist when that's the exact audience the movie is targeted for?

Apr 25 - 01:04 PM

Obamarama O.

Obamarama O

Tyler Perry gonna rule the weekend man it gonna be crazy in the theaters I can wait for more fun with Medea played by Tyler Perry!

Apr 22 - 02:11 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Nothing good here for me this weekend. I'm seeing Rio.

Apr 22 - 02:48 PM

Oliver R.

Oliver Renshaw

I will enjoy the day when Robert Pattinson proves the critics wrong, I think he has potential. I'm not a fan of Twilight at all, but two out of the three leads have the potential to be good actors I think (Lautner is diabolical). That being said, as I'm not a fan of Reese Witherspoon I shall not be seeing WFE.

Apr 22 - 02:59 PM

Andy Smiles At Me

Sarah Hanna

The fact that he has yet to prove them wrong is a bad sign. He's just not a very good actor. I think he thinks he is, though, which is also bad. But he hasn't showed real acting chops at this point, and at his age and with the number of films he's been in, he should have. If he was a decent actor, that is. I don't think he has much potetential. I'll be shocked if he suddenly turns into a great actor.

Apr 23 - 10:13 PM

Oliver R.

Oliver Renshaw

I think he just hasn't had the right film yet. You could say he's made many films, but really he's tied down to a franchise and needs to grow by persuing more creative roles - perhaps not a romance role.

Apr 24 - 07:25 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I'd thought maybe he had more to offer than sparkly vampires, but from what I hear about elephants, nope. Andwhile sure, he has the potential to get better, why should we have to see him through it? Get your training and come out and be an actor. I'm. Getting a keanu reeves vibe now. He should go that route. Don't take "a walk in the clouds," get some "speed" and get all "matrix-y." Whoa.

Apr 24 - 07:50 AM

Oliver R.

Oliver Renshaw

Only time will tell.

Apr 24 - 09:33 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

You called The Wolf? Shit mutha fucka, that's allyou had ta say.

Apr 22 - 03:24 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday