Waterloo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waterloo Reviews

September 26, 2014
What's good about this work? Steiger as Napoleon and Plummer as Wellington. And a glorious project that's as sumptuous as imagination could make it, lavish in numbers of people and in costumes and sets. But the story's too big. They couldn't get it all in. So you get crowds of well dressed folks simply standing around in some scenes. And if one is unfamiliar with the story forget about understanding the huge battle scenes. There's a better chronicle on this epic, historic battle somewhere, there must be.
puffchunk
January 5, 2011
Not bad for an old war movie. Funny and interesting.
Harlequin68
August 21, 2012
At first, King Louis XVIII(Orson Welles) is none too worried when Napoleon(Rod Steiger) begins his comeback tour from Elba with a thousand men. When that number becomes substantially much, much larger, the king figures it might be a good time for an extended vacation. That's okay because the Duke of Wellington(Christopher Plummer) is waiting patiently in Belgium for the emperor to make his move. In the meantime, he attends a gala or two.

"Waterloo" is a splendidly produced extravagansa, centered around the famed battle and turning point in history. While it is clearly apparent the huge amount of research that went into the making of this movie, it sadly never truly comes alive. Part of this comes down to the narrow focus on Wellington and Napoleon, especially about how different they may have been. In fact, the first half hour comes perilously close to becoming a one man show which is not entirely bad since Rod Steiger makes a surprisingly effective Napoleon. That's also at the detriment of almost everybody else which partially short circuits the movie's otherwise profound final statement.
Shrewlord
January 11, 2011
Massive battle scenes and a superb cast. The script often sounds a bit strangled as it leans heavily on attributed quotes. The film was a joint Soviet/Italian collaboration made in 1970 and it seems no coincidence that political and socialogical differences between Napoleon and his adversaries are highlighted - the dictator Bonaparte is shown as very much a man of his people whereas his aristocratic opponents exhibit an air of superiority to and distain for their working class rank and file. All in all it's not a perfect film but it truly is an epic spectacle.
½ June 15, 2012
A great take on the battle of Waterloo. Is very accurate (they rely on a lot of direct quotes) and told on a large scale. There is a fair amount of internal monologing as Napoleon works out his plan, but it works in the film. Steiger is an all-right Napoleon, but Plummer is a superb Wellington. Probably the best out there. Worst think I can say about it is that it really helps if you know something about the battle beforehand.
February 26, 2013
I did not like the whispers where they were talking in their head. It was not adequately presented in my opinion by whispers.

Also I felt as though the actor playing Napoleon didn't look anything like Napoleon. He was too old and not good looking enough.

I was surprised by seeing actors like Christopher Plumber and in this film.

I'm not a fan of the camera cenophotography in this film.

I hate the music in this film. It does not match the film.

I don't like how oftentimes camera changed spots during action scenes. I wished that it stayed in spots longer.

I also did not like the high speed scenes when the French calvary was going after the British mainly because it was out of place during the film, it went too long and the bad circus musical score did not match the film.

One thing this film did succeed at was showing the eminence size of both armies, the patriotism and nationalism which the French people had towards Napoleon. I thought that this film did adequately represent some of the battle tactics.
July 9, 2011
It was interesting watching this right on the heels of Abel Gance's Napoleon. This, however, had what Gance's film lacked. I was very drawn into the minds of the two opposing leaders. Wellington was played beautifully by Christopher Plummer, who created a fascinating aristocratic soldier. Napoleon was clearly the supporting character of this story, but he was also significantly more interesting than in Gance's version. The characters of these two held up the movie for me when I lost interest in the battle logistics. Nicely done.
February 29, 2008
Undeniably, Steiger's portrayal of Napoleon is a method actor's interpretation of the complex Corsican, characterized by much strutting, fretting, and sweating but offering no indication of what's going on inside the Little Corporal's head. Excellent quality of production though.
June 13, 2015
This re-creation of the battle of Waterloo in this film will never be surpassed. The advent of CGI means that it will never again be possible for such a massive array of manpower to be assembled in order to make a motion picture, and therefore the portrayal of this mighty conflict will never be equalled for realism. The scenes are awe-inspiring and make one constantly marvel at the sheer magnitude of the achievement and control of such a gigantic cast.
July 11, 2014
epic historical pic dino delaurentus stylee
December 23, 2014
Huge, huge battle scenes that any epic filmmaker today would be proud of, all done without CGI! Christopher Plummer makes a good Wellington, but I'd like to see another film made of this - Wellington and Napoleon is one of history's greatest clashes of two great minds.
September 26, 2014
½ July 7, 2014
This is probably one of my top five favourite movie of all time, thanks to it great acting and incredible scale to the end battle scene and landscape 4 1/2 star.
½ June 15, 2012
½ June 4, 2013
A very well made film about the battle of Waterloo.
February 26, 2013

I was surprised by seeing actors like Christopher Plumber and in this film.

I'm not a fan of the camera cenophotography in this film.

I hate the music in this film. It does not match the film.

January 26, 2013
an interesting and impressive film, large bodies of troops and massive cavalry charges.
½ January 19, 2013
Quite possibly the best Napoleonic movie ever made--Absorbing and accurate, exquisite for its focus alone!!