40% As Above/So Below Aug 29

38% Taxi Brooklyn: Season 1
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Watership Down Reviews

August 23, 2014
Well done, but seems more "episodic" than "epic", to me. While the backgrounds are gorgeous, the animation feels slightly less polished. Well worth a look, nonetheless.
August 9, 2014
Itune's now has Watership Down in the criterion collection. It's a great story that holds true to it's novel roots as best it can. The story isn't what I would call Dark but it definitely paints the image of how dangerous life as a rabbit can be, so it can be a little haunting for small children. A great, honest, film. Worth checking out!
September 26, 2010
AWESOME MOIVE. I saw this when I was 5 yrs old and still love it now.
March 20, 2013
One of the best animated movies I have ever seen.
tigero88
May 31, 2014
Very Good Cartoon with Adult Messages!
July 29, 2008
This movie brings me so many memories. I liked it as a kid (loved the book, too), and it was almost surprising that I still love "Watership Down" just as much today.

Trusting someone else's vision and undertake a journey to uncertain times is a hard thing to do, and overcoming obstacles such a thing brings, in a world of a thousand enemies, creates a thrilling adventure.

The art in this movie is beautiful, simply put. The details and animation are top notch. As an addition I must mention the story of El Ahrairah in the beginning: wonderfully told, and amazing art. The music is fitting, and the characteristics of each rabbit and other creatures are unique; Hazel is both courageous and clever, Bigwig brave and strong, Fiver is a bit disturbing at times, and Kehaar is cheer brilliance.

A story of rabbits running away from their old colony to start a new one in a perfect place - sounds like a children's story. This is not, however, for kids. There is blood, violence and cruelty in this movie. Many themes deal with death and destruction.

Simply amazing and awe-inspiring!
April 28, 2014
This is exactly what Bambi should've looked like!
April 13, 2014
This film is too intense for children, but I loved it anyway.
charles s.
April 6, 2014
This is one of my favorite animated movies of all time. Its an engaging story about courage, tyranny, and sacrificing yourself to save others, its just a wonderful story. Granted, the film starts off a little slow, and the characters seem a little underdeveloped at first, but they become more interesting as the story goes. Warning: to all parents; you may want to watch this movie with your kids if they are under the age of 9, because the film is surprisingly dark, disturbing and pretty bloody at times. This film doesn't sugar coat the animal violence, and thats why some younger kids may find it creepy. But its a great movie.
March 20, 2014
Much like Richard Adams's wonderful novel, this animated tale of wandering rabbits is not meant for small children. It is, however, rich storytelling, populated with very real individuals inhabiting a very real world. The animation is problematic, sometimes appearing out of proportion or just subpar; but it seems to stem from an attempt at realism, something distinguishing the film's characters from previous, cutesy, animated animals. A band of rabbits illegally leave their warren after a prophecy of doom from a runt named Fiver (Richard Briers). In search of a place safe from humans and predators, they face all kinds of dangers, including a warren that has made a sick bargain with humankind, and a warren that is basically a fascist state. As a result, it is that rare animated film that really aims for a mature audience, despite its superficial funny animal trappings. It has a brilliant opening, most likely created by UPA veteran John Hubley, which in a primitive and simplistic style relates a creation myth as told by rabbits. This movie is bloody and hard to watch scenes but this movie has fantastic animation and voice acting.
March 3, 2014
No dejes que la caratula te engañe, Watership Down tiene más sangre y gore que cualquier película de horror actual.
February 27, 2014
Not what I was really expecting but it was pretty awesome. One of the more interestingly grim animated movies (along the lines of Don Bluth's "The Secret of NIMH"). While it isn't as violent and crazy as many have portrayed it to be, it is still pretty dark and occasionally disturbing. It is not a kids' movie, that's for sure.
February 24, 2014
I am disappoint. This is one of the worst book to film adaptations I've seen. There is no character development, and much of the gravity of the story has been removed. It was like someone wrote it down in point form, and animated that only. Many details are changed for no reason that I could see. I will give it that the animation is lovely (except for the cat) - the movements of the animals are spot on, and some of the characteristics from the book are there. I will say also, that I don't think it is too scary or unsettling for children... no more than Secret of Nimh, or many other children's films made around this time. If you love the book, I say stay away, but maybe it's a different experience if you've never read it.
swainmia
February 8, 2014
I watched it when I was very little. My innocence is lost as a result, but still a great film nonetheless
February 6, 2014
I haven't see as much adult animation as Watership Down. Great voice acting with John Hurt as Hazel.
January 22, 2014
An incredible emotional roller-coaster that evokes emotions above typical expectations for animation. A masterpiece of animation and art.
January 12, 2014
A nearly perfect animated movie, it has all to become a master piece; the animation is very detailed even for those times (especially in the fights, the makers really watched and studied how a bunny fights), the plot is dark and interesting, the villain is incredibly scary, but some of the characters are just filler; this is not for kids, the violence is too much for a kid to handle.
December 14, 2007
A very gritty adventure film that often borders on humorless, this is a dark but poignant tale of a quest to find a new home. It is grisly, disturbing, but interestingly sentimental. The animation is spectacular, miraculously combining the natural movement of rabbits with the facial expressions of humans.
November 14, 2013
A film from my childhood; not as sad as I remember it being back then though. Actually pretty trippy in places and brutal in others. I think there is an envionmental message in this film, which, for 1978 is quite surprising. It obviously didn't do any good to that generation.
Weirdem01