45% The Other Woman Apr 25

100% Veep: Season 3

Waterworld Reviews

John M

March 20, 2007
I think this movie got ragged far more than it needed to. Kevin Costner wasnt given a break at the time and the huge budget was just insane. But I enjoyed the movie.
Flutie A

June 27, 2007
Excellent! Only took me 17 years to get around to it...
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 5, 2011
Waterworld is famous for being one of the biggest flops in cinematic history. At the time of its release, it was the most expensive motion picture ever produced. So is the question is, "is Waterworld the worst film ever made?" Definitely not. In fact Waterworld is an awesome action adventure epic. Sure the film has its numerous flaws, but it's really entertaining, and deserves more credit than it deserves. This film is loads of fun to watch, and despite the fact that it doesn't really boast likeable characters, it more than makes up for it with exciting action. Waterworld is visually appealing and is reminiscent of The Road Warrior, albeit not as well acted or awesome as The Road Warrior. I really think that Wterworld is underrated. Sure the film is at times silly, and is not perfect, but for the most part this is still an entertaining film that delivers on the action. Dennis Hopper plays the villain and he brings a certain morbid comic relief to the role, much like his role in Speed. Waterworld is very much underrated and it's not as bad as what everyone has said it was. The plot is weak at times, but the action makes up for it. The film is silly too, but overall it's simply a very entertaining action adventure. The cast are good, and if you enjoy some mindless action film, Waterworld delivers the thrills that you'd expect. A very underrated film that doesn't deserve the flack it has received. The film is not perfect, but it's constantly exciting, and fun, epic with a great cast. Don't believe the negative reviews, this is one impressive adventure.
Joe M

December 4, 2011
Widely considered to be one of the biggest flops of all time, it's easy to see why.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This movie is actually really well done. I don't see why so many people seem to hate it. It's really imaginative and pretty interesting. I love it for what it is, but I do have to agree with Roger Ebert on how it would have been nice had this film not simply been an overblown action movie, and tried to have some substance and explore the world and address issues with how the survivors deal with stuff like storms.

Costner isn't amazing here, but he's not bad. Hopper is a little too hammy, but still fun to watch. Jeanne Tripplehorn looks good, and I wish her performance matched her looks, but she's not terrible either.

Maybe it's because I saw this at a young age and was so floored by the concept that I'm unable to join the masses who hate this movie, but honestly it's really pretty good. It dosn't deserve the jeers it gets.
michael e.
michael e.

December 8, 2010
To me this is a underrated film. Sure it had a lot of hate with the critics and people at the time, and it was the biggest budget film made at the time, and it didnt come close to making its money back, which is a shame, because I honestly thought it was a entertaining film. The acting was decent, though it was over the top a few times, it still did its job at telling a entertaining and interesting story. Sure it has a few plot holes and some pretty stupid characters, but that doesn't mean its a horrible film. Also the musical score for the film was fantastic, especially the beginning song which sounded like an african kind of song. Its also interesting in the film how in the film you see how everything works in this world, like how a boat works, or how a plane works, which I honestly thought was pretty cool to watch and see how this world worked.
Apeneck F

April 23, 2008
better than most of hollywood's get-rich-quick scum.
Gx7
Gx7

July 6, 2008
Damn you guys are horrible how could the majority of you rate this as average? It was one helluva movie!
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

July 16, 2010
Promising concept executed disastrously.
Conner R

May 29, 2010
A truly terrible movie, but it's a train wreck that's at least half way fun to watch. Maybe it's because I had nothing to expect when I saw it, but this is so nutty and a staple of terrible 90s sci-fi. I will say that Dennis Hopper as the villainous leader of the Smokers was really awesome, he's really the shining moment of the movie. Kevin Costner was just way over his head when it came to directing and acting, I think he buckled under pressure.
Alexander W

December 10, 2009
Ideal for Children and makes a big change from CGI cartoons which dominate and are in demand. But Kevin Costner (lead) is good and so is Chaim Girafi (girl) but I didnt quite enjoy Jeanne Tripplehorn. The movie is full of Hollywood stunts and is a very well told story with a clear begining, middle and end. Plus its not out dated for a film made nearly 15 years ago.
Anthony L

October 2, 2009
It's not a great film but it?s really not as bad as people say it is. It has a great supporting cast!
Jason O

September 11, 2009
In 1995, just about everybody was looking forward to the HUGE budget film named "Waterworld." Unfortunately, to hear the critics talk, the film wasn't worth half the money that was spent on it. In other words, very few, if any, of the movie critics thought "Waterworld" was a good, if even a decent, film. Like I usually do when it comes to the critics' opinions, I beg to differ. Earth has been totally engulfed by water, or has it? Nobody really knows, but everybody knows that there is a myth that could possibly be a fact, that dry land exists. A mysterious, amphibious man (Kevin Costner), who sails along on a magnificent boat and who can really get around to say the least, is the target of evil and greedy human beings called 'smokers.' Is there a such thing as dry land? I mean in the movie, not real life. I 100% recommend watching "Waterworld" so you can find out the rest of the storyline, everything in between, and the answer to my question. I thought "Waterworld" was a great movie. It has good special effects and scenery, great acting (especially by Kevin Costner), and a very interesting storyline. The whole time I was watching this movie, I didn't want to get up and miss a single second of it. The only thing I didn't understand about it is how there's canned foods and so many cigarettes if nobody has ever seen dry land. Other than that, this is a must-see movie for anybody who likes fantasy films, or just interesting movies. In my opinion, "Waterworld" is one of the best fantasy movies in recent years, if not of all time. If you haven't seen "Waterworld" yet, do yourself a favor and don't listen to the critics that say this movie sunk, watch it for yourself and make your own opinion. You just might turn out to like it. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. I've always loved Kevin Costner movies and this one I don't see why it bombed as badly as it did.
Phil H

February 18, 2008
Strange one this, the whole idea and concept is a really interesting and decent plot, the waters rise and cover the earth, could happen.the thing is, the story and the way people live after this worldwide incident is soooo ridiculous its just funny. How would people survive if they go around killing? where do they get the gas for the jetski's? it would take millions of yrs to develop gils and why just him? etc...its a shame cos it could have been a really thought provoking sci-fi film.
Its so badly ripped from Mad Max and it really is so stupid yet it does look good. The cast is also bad, loads of henchmen running around, Costner on his mid 90's ego trip getting rather alot of airtime haha and Hopper is no good as a baddie here, the problem is its a run of the mill gangs and loner plot attached to a very good sci-fi plot and the two just dont work.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Mariner: Two drifters meet. Something needs to be exchanged.
Drifter: I know the code. But I'll give this one to you for free.
Mariner: Nothing's free in Waterworld.
Myself: uuuhhhh,,,

It is no surprise that Kevin Costner could ruin a movie with a great concept.

What if the ice caps melted and the world was covered with water? Well besides the fact that there isn't even enough ice to melt and cover the earth, apparently there will be a couple types of people, smoking pirates who are evil for no real reason, regular folk who are generally short tempered, and mutants. And now you have Costner, trying to be this cool anti-hero that evokes Snake Plisken, when the only cool thing he has is his boat.

It's easy to admire the production values of a movie like this, Costner spent over half a year making this movie at the expense of his marriage, but when it doesn't really go anywhere with it's premise except some flimsy excuses to have action scenes, it doesn't really matter.

I always remember coming out of the theater with my dad after this movie, which was a long slog that lasted over two hours, both of us thinking, "gee that sucked." Its kinda sad when the best part is seeing the Universal logo covered with water at the very beginning.

Deacon: You know, I thought you were stupid, friend. But I underestimated you; you're a total freakin' retard!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 10, 2007
"The Future. The polar ice caps have melted, covering the earth with water. Those who survived have adapted...to a new world."

With these few lines above to describe the background of the story, it's maybe no wonder that people may feel a bit disgruntled already by the prologue. Truth be told, I expected Waterworld to be pretty bad the first time I saw it in the late 90's. I mean, the title alone emits vibes of palpable cheesyness. However, as many such movies had proven me wrong in the past, I chose to see it with an open and unbiased mind. And boy was I pleasantly surprised! Sure, the script isn't the best and the bad guys are pretty lame (Smokers, geez, I wonder how long it took to come up with that name), but what it does have is a great concept and a pretty good sense of adventure, made even better by a striking music score.

I always tend to think of this movie as "Mad Max on water", as the post-apocalyptic mood and setting is very much the same. And if you choose to take it for what it is, you're in for a quite fun experience. Just sit down, grab some popcorn and leave your pointer and science hat on the shelf for two hours. Because this underrated spectacle is meant to be enjoyed, not be ranted upon simply because its popular to do so.

Challenge of the week: Jack Black has a small role in this movie. Think you can spot him? :-)
James A

It really lives up to the hype of being a horrible movie.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 24, 2007
This is a great dumb fun movie. I can always get on board for this (oh that was a horrible pun, my bad).
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 22, 2007
one of the worst movies I've seen. Webbed feet - yuck! No wonder we haven't seen Kevin Costner. He should hind in shame.