Wayne's World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wayne's World Reviews

December 30, 2014
Moronically hilarious and clever for this oddball comedy. Wayne's World is highlighted by the constant humor from Myers & Carvey, making it one of the most successful SNL-sketch-based-films to date. 4/5
October 1, 2010
It may be one of the dumbest comedies to ever come out of Hollywood, but these characters are undeniable some of the funniest people every put to screen, especially from a film that was solely based on a sketch show. The jokes hit almost every time throughout this film, due to it's genus writing, ripping on the Hollywood stereotypes and product placement laws. Clearly they had a blast making this film, because the audience has just as much fun as them. I will say that it is a very subjective picture, due to it's appeal. Most people will probably get a kick out of this film, but some will probably bow their heads in shame as to how dumb it is, but at least it is self-aware. I thought "Wayne's World" was great!
July 11, 2007
Mike Myers' takes a pretty good jab at the American, middle class,basement-living, stoner/slacker rock and roll dreamer culture. Although it helps if you've been there, its not entirely necessary to get the busload of culture references thrown around with merry glee and with nary a drug reference made at all.
Directors Cat
½ October 28, 2011
Wayne's World is a very funny time waster that is worth watching more than once for its memorable characters and of course the adorable relationship between the characters; Wayne and Garth.
August 15, 2011
Hilarious, it is a great remake of the SNL skit, very funny.
September 6, 2010
The funniest comedy of the 90s! This movie makes me laugh like mad every time I see it, seriously. All the actors are fabulous, it has a really good style that's goofy at times, and serious at others, but serious in a way that makes you laugh. Plus, the music rocks! You even get to see Alice Cooper perform. I love this movie, it's Mike Myers best film ever. If you like comedy, rock and roll, or Saturday Night Live, you have to see this movie.
½ April 8, 2007
Wayne's world! Party time! Excellent! This was the first film I ever saw with Mike Myers, and that was around the time when his name was still unfamiliar to the world. Even so, his comical performance, along with Dana Carvey's, is enjoyable all the way. The look of the movie is really dated and it screams early 90's, but it's one that still entertains with its original and wicked sense of humor. You can tell right away that the script is penned by Myers, because it shares a lot of traits with his Austin Powers movies. As an added bonus, it also includes some fun cameos by Ed O'Neill, Alice Cooper and the late Chris Farley. Not to mention Tia Carrera, who has never been hotter than she is in this movie. That scene where she walks around in a bikini is enough to make your eyes pop out.
January 30, 2011
"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored."

Two slacker friends try to promote their public-access cable show.

While Mike Myers may be better known for Austin Powers and Shrek, 'Wayne's World' was the film that really brought his comedic genius to the mainstream public. Originally a Saturday Night Live sketch about Wayne (Myers) and Garth (the underrated Dana Carvey) about two friends who start a public access cable TV show in their basement, it's one of the best (if not the best) SNL-to-film adaptations ever.

While the plot is fairly simple, where Wayne's World really shines is its clever humour. It highlights and subverts the rules of film narrative, something Myers carried over into Austin Powers, a trait which is lacking in the more predictable comedies of today (especially the awful "parody" films). Wayne and Garth talk directly to camera (which only they are allowed to do), there's blatant product placement, pop culture parodies, guest appearances, the famous Bohemian Rhapsody headbanging scene and funny alternate endings. Top that off with the slew of silly jokes and endlessly quotable lines (including one of the first uses of the phrase "that's what she said"), and you have a film which - even nearly twenty years later - still strikes a chord with viewers, regardless of their age. Even towards the end, when the need to wrap up the story cleanly can ruin many comedies, 'Wayne's World' still retains its sense of humour, a prime example being Wayne's "Oscar winning" speech to win back Cassandra (Tia Carrere).

If you feel like a laugh or want to relive some memories, then you could do far worse than check out 'Wayne's World'. Excellent.
August 15, 2010
Wayne's World is fine little comedy film that doesn't take itself seriously. Thats what makes this film such a classic. Wayne and Garth get an offer to air their show on a major network, and they can't refuse. The film is hilarious and features a rocking soundtrack, and many rock references. Also to note is a cameo by Meat Loaf and Alice Cooper. This is a terrific, mindless and fun comedy that if your looking for a few good laughs, Wayne's World will provide you with them. The second sequel is great, but this first film is very excellent indeed. A comedy that should appeal to anyone who want a good laugh, this is a film to watch.
½ June 30, 2007
I have a hard time rating this one. I loved it to the point of seeing it three times the first week it was out, probably because it brought back memories of me and my friends at that age. Now I can't even sit through it -- probably for the same reason. What was I thinking -- I HATED high school! And there are many performances by Mike Myers I now prefer over this. Dana Carvey has thankfully dropped below the casting radar. But since I did like this at one time, there must be something to it. So I'll split the difference and give it a middle-of-the road rating.
September 10, 2007
its amusing and watchable
January 12, 2007
Even though I prefer the sequel, this is a great comedy that never ages in my eyes.
½ December 31, 2006
A classic comedy with some very funny scenes.
November 2, 2006
I'll never get sick of this one.
July 30, 2007
I really thought Dana Carvey was hilarious back in the day.
This movie does not hold up well at all. This movie was responsible for a lot of bad catch phrases and imitations.
½ September 22, 2007
Good, infantile fun. Proves that it's possible to be smart and stupid at the same time.
August 31, 2007
A hilarious 90's SNL crossover..oh and directed by an awesome woman! Watch this film today!
August 23, 2007
All I have to say about that is "asphinctersayswhat"
July 7, 2007
Very cool for the 80s. Wayne and Garth on their adventures. Cool music.