67% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Ways To Live Forever Reviews

April 6, 2014
"Our dead are never dead to us until we have forgotten them."
The one and only answer to ease our trouble souls.
January 24, 2014
We just want to live our life the best that we can, and hope that people remember us after we're gone
July 15, 2013
I believe Ways to Live Forever is based off a children's book. It follows two boys, Sam and Felix, as they go through their daily lives with childhood Leukemia.

I was able to watch an advance screening of the movie a few months back and I was definitely hesitant at first. I personally am involved in several cancer related organizations and being surrounded by so many people affected by this disease, I wasn't really up to see another tearjerker. But to my surprise, the movie was more uplifting than it was sad, but of course we can't stray away from there being some emotional scenes with a topic such as cancer. It definitely surpassed my expectations considering the film was more lighthearted that anticipated.

I think what I like most about this movie which differentiates itself from most cancer related movies, is that is focuses more on living life to the fullest rather than dying. I appreciate the realism the movie portrays. Overall the movie was a pleasant take on such a tough subject. The acting was good, the storyline was great and I thought the soundtrack was a great fit for the movie.
July 10, 2013
When I was first offered to watch a pre-screening of this movie, I must admit I was a little hesitant to view it. Normally I stray away from any movies that have to do with cancer. However, I thankfully did decide to watch the film and I am SO glad I did. Ways to Live Forever went way above and beyond my expectations. Though this movie centers around two boys on their journey of fighting leukemia, the tone is not one of somberness but of joy. Yes, sad scenes and deep questions of life and death occur throughout the film, but after walking away from the movie, I felt, well, joyful. There is an uplifting spirit from this movie that is completely beyond my explanation; the director did a phenomenal job at engaging the audience and pulling them into these boys' lives. Some of the best child acting I've ever seen. Cinematography was beautiful. I would recommend this film to both teens and adults. If you don't have a desire in seeing it, still see it. I promise you will not be disappointed.
July 15, 2013
I was invited to an advanced screening of this film and let me just say that it was a very well written and directed film. Going into the theater I was expecting a depressing movie but I was surprised to find that it carried an uplifting tone throughout the course of this young man's journey. The acting was pretty good, especially from the young kids (Robbie Kay, Alex Etel). The cinematography was done well and the music and sound design complimented the film pretty well. The subject matter of cancer might question some people but the film has a powerful message that many people should enjoy.
March 28, 2013
I am continuously surprised by how well some child/teen dramas are made. This film addresses the extremely difficult topic of children with incurable, terminal diseases. It asks many of the big questions about life and death and reasons through them in a simplistic, childlike sort of way that is thoroughly logical from the perspective of a 12 year old.

Alex Etel is a very capable child actor. I remember him from The Water Horse and he put on a wonderful performance in this film as well.

The soundtrack fits the film like a glove. The cinematography is simple for the most part but it hits highs in a few very important places.

The script combined with excellent performances from the cast really pull this film together. I think that it is very difficult to write a film where there has to be a ballance between life, death, hope, despair, thoughtfulness, and discovery.

SUMMARY: This was a simply made film but everything about it is very solid. It was very thought-provoking for me. This isn't a huge blockbuster but for a cheeply made drama it is very good.

NOTE: Shoutout to Natalia Tena (Tonks from Harry Potter)