We Don't Live Here Anymore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Don't Live Here Anymore Reviews

blkbomb
½ August 10, 2011
Terry Linden: You gotta admit... even adultery has morality to it.

"Ordinary Lives. Extraordinary Emotions."

Never have I watched a movie and been this turned off by the mere thought of it. We Don't Live Here Anymore is such a pretentious movie about two couples who cheat on each other. I will say I like Naomi Watts and Mark Ruffalo as actors but their characters along with Laura Dern(I don't care what anyone says; she's a horrible actress) and Peter Krause's characters are so selfish and and completely unlikable. I thought for a second that Dern's character was going to be decent, but that isn't the case either.

Basically by the hour mark I wanted all four characters to be shot. I didn't care how their marriages or affairs turned out; I just wanted the slow, melodramatic music to stop and the movie to end. It's a movie I really wish I wouldn't have watched and I don't say that too often.

I never want to think about this movie again, but Dern's unbelievable crying fits are engraved into my brain. How can anyone enjoy watching her act? The "I don't care, fuck anyone you want" story gets old after about 10 minutes. Then all we are left with is the talents of Watts and Ruffalo, which in my opinion is the reason this is almost watchable.
½ June 18, 2011
A competently acted but predictable and formulaic melodrama centering around two couples who become sexually intertwined. The film's inability to give us a reason to care about any of the characters involved is its major downfall, since if we don't care whatsoever about any of these four miserable individuals, why would we want to learn about them? As said, the acting is superb, especially Ruffalo and Dern, but Krause's character gets left behind big time, and the kids that are treasured so much by the characters as well as the story in general get next to no development, which isn't good when you consider the film's emotionally heavy climax. A forgettable drama that needed more development and a story brave enough to take risks.
April 10, 2011
Quite depressing movie about two married couples having affairs with each other. Veeeery slow. Not a bad movie, but definitely not one that I would recommend to anyone.
½ June 5, 2007
It was a nice try, but the story is too time-worn to be interesting, the dialogue too stiff to be engaging, and the actors too removed to be sympathetic for. What a shame, too, because I absolutely LOVE Naomi Watts and Laura Dern.
February 10, 2008
It is a depressing movie about decaying marriages. Two couples who are best friends with each other find attention in the other couple's spouse.
December 8, 2007
This film, like In the Bedroom in 2001, takes an Andre Dubus short story and makes it into one intense movie. The acting in this movie is outstanding, and the stakes are high in every scene. Expecting a quasi-Rom-Com, we got a Rom-Dram (thanks for that one, Sid!), but it's well worth the watch. The ending doesn't make a ton of sense, but as with most anti-domestic bliss movies, it really doesn't have to... these movies deal with the day-to-day, and for most of us, that means we can't just "get" closure; we just ride on.
deano
½ January 3, 2007
Dull drama about two couples. Too bad I couldn't see Naomi Watt in full-nudity scene. (Disappointed it has no English substitles)
December 28, 2012
Not a huge crowd pleaser but this film brings together strong actors who deliver strong performances. This truly is a life crossroads film depicting what attrition does to relationships and whether or not hard decisions are made.
½ August 2, 2010
There are some really great performances here, but the whole situation seems forced on them. Its also seems so neat and clean, as if the director and screenwriter were just going through a checklist. Real human emotions are far more messy than this.
½ December 13, 2007
A movie as empty as its title. A lot of good acting is going on, but there's nobody home.
November 7, 2010
Artful and, in the end, sad.
May 28, 2008
Very dark story about infidelity that's well-written and acted but like all those other movies we see at least twice a years about couples who cross the line.
½ November 14, 2008
This is a twenty minute episode of "Melrose Place" dragged out into an hour and a half. By the end we're asking, "who cares". Laura Dern's character was the only mildly interesting one, and the writing is dry, choppy, empty and lacks any wit or punch. The film is without symbolism or artistic touch in regard to direction, and is easily trumped by mediocre films like "Little Children" and "Closer". I chuckled a few times at Mark Ruffalo, and the cinematography had potential, hence the 1.5 stars. Yes, I know, I am too generous.
September 17, 2008
This is a refreshing look into the lives of adulterors. Mark Ruffalo and Peter Krause play best friends that have an indescretion that tears apart each others marriage. Each man cheats with the other's wife, brilliantly played by Naomi Watts and Laura Dern. The plot and the performances are great, and the issues brought up about marriage and about adultery make the film very interesting and unique. Good film if you're looking for a different drama.
½ July 14, 2015
Scathing look at two couples and the painful stages of their disintegrating marriages. Wonderfully acted, especially from Laura Dern.
July 11, 2015
There is nothing new here, but just great acting from the whole cast, and especially Mark Ruffalo and Laura Dern who really chew up the scenes they are in.
½ August 23, 2012
The film's beauty lies in its incredible realism and the believability of the performances. I'm surprised this didn't receive more praise.
June 16, 2012
Imagine watching a reality show involving four of the most miserable people on the planet, who don't do anything.
December 31, 2011
Well acted story of two friends in the middle of an affair, and the ramifications it has on their respective marriages. Well acted and somewhat depressing look on infidelity, it's just too bad a lot of the ground covered here seems to have been done before.