We Were Here - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Here Reviews

November 27, 2013
An important and engaging documentary about the unimaginable horrors of the early years of AIDS. Although I had head some of this before from older friends, it provided a much better, more complete account of a harrowing time. It is easy to forget the pain and fears of others, or just to know them in a detached academic way. We should never forget that an entire community dying was reality for some people.
Harlequin68
May 14, 2013
"We Were Here" is a simple, yet powerfully effective documentary history of the AIDS epidemic in San Francisco that creates a clear timeline of events, running from first rumors through effective treatment. This is told by a handful of survivors and eyewitnesses in their own words, recalling lost friends and loved ones, thus bringing such momentous events down to a deeply personal level. And the archival footage and photographs work well in tandem with this. Of particular interest is the valuable work of the lesbian community during the epidemic, previously a lesser partner in the larger gay community, rising to the occasion in more ways than one.(Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was only glanced over in "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts.)
September 3, 2012
Eye-opening, dejecting and sad, highly informative and respectful of both its subjects and the sensitive subject matter at hand, We Were Here is a well put-together documentary about the early days at the epicenter of the AIDS epidemic -- early 1980s San Francisco, California. Told from the vantage point of five individuals who lived through and survived the harrowing decimation -- Ed Wolf, Guy Clark, Daniel Goldstein, Paul Boneberg and Eileen Glutzer -- the film chronicles their personal stories or triumph, woe and desperation that resulted from various political and social stances of the time. No matter the depth(s) of one's knowledge regarding the early days of the so-called "Gay Plague", We Were Here is a riveting documentary for anybody wanting to know more about the struggles of the gay community at this time and even those of America as a whole. That so many people stood aside within the government or a medical or religious communities because they were never going to be affected (OR effected) by this highly selective disease is/was shocking. One of the five "we's", Eileen Glutzer was a kind-hearted nurse who realized that NOT enough was being done for these "pariahs" and so she doubled-down her efforts to make those in local government aware of the dire problem. We Were Here is a personal documentary about these five individuals and what they encountered and who they lost. It does not go into how the epidemic was overcome by an eventual cooperation of a vast number of citizens who brought awareness and respect to the AIDS community by culling the early startling numbers to a less-startling number.
July 13, 2012
We Were Here is a heart wrenching story of the first destructive footprints of the AIDS epidemic in San Francisco. The sense of community and the amazing outreach of those affected by this crisis is overwhelming. Take everything you know about AIDS and throw it out the window. We Were Here is an education in just how amazing people can be.
½ February 24, 2015
Moving, heartfelt documentary that reflects on first hand accounts of the early days of the AIDS epidemic in San Francisco. This is an important piece of history that should never be forgotten and should be viewed for generations to come.
February 17, 2015
Survivors of the early days of the HIV/AIDS crisis tell their stories of survival. With a new more aggressive form of HIV spreading in Cuba, stories we can't afford to forget. CDW
October 8, 2014
A moving portrait of five survivors of the devastation that was caused by AIDS in (mainly) the eighties and nineties in San Francisco. Recommended!
½ April 9, 2014
We Were Here reveals a beautiful, horrible holocaust that has receded all too easily from memory. It's a revelation to recall that a majority of Americans now support gay marriage, and it's a tragedy to imagine that acceptance might not have come without such public suffering.

One of the harshest quotes in this movie full of love came from the mouth of a father of an AIDS victims in San Francisco: "It's harder for me to find out that my son is a fag than to find out that he's going to be dying soon"
½ January 5, 2014
It has the power to break your heart, and it earns your tears.
November 27, 2013
June 30, 2013
WE WERE HERE is a wonderful testament to what everyday people can achieve when their government, social programs, and medical establishment fail them. CONTAGION makes us believe the govt will step up and save us but anyone who lived through the peak of the AIDS crisis knows just how poorly the govt and most citizens behaved. Instead of fighting for a cure, bigotry and hatred reigned. WE WERE HERE shows us how a city, San Francisco, and it's citizens stood up and supported the ill in the most quotidian and extraordinary way. It may not be a great doc but it is a must-see that shows the sad reality and the amazing human spirit without pandering or sentimentality. Watch Weissman's THE COCKETTES, then TIMES OF HARVEY MILK, then WE WERE HERE and you will get an in-depth history of San Fran during a tumultuous time, the 60s-90s, that made San Fran great!
½ June 23, 2013
Quiet, thoughtful, positive, reverent.
Harlequin68
May 14, 2013
March 30, 2013
It was such a moving film on a subject that is rarely discussed (well for my generation at least) It's a part of history that more people should know about.
½ March 7, 2013
Holy crap this was so depressing. Phenomenal but not easy to watch sometimes.
½ August 13, 2012
A splendid, haunting documentary about the 'gay cancer' outbreak in San Francisco's gay community. Known today as HIV/AIDS this film only interviews a select few men and one women, but there stories of perseverance are emotionally epic.
August 6, 2012
A moving and significant piece of work that I wish was longer so I could hear even more stories about the decade that changed so many people's lives who lived through it.
½ July 23, 2012
sex sex sex sex sex, grow the fuck up. There is more to life than sex, read a book
July 15, 2012
This emotional documentary is too good for any kind of review, it's one of the best docs I've ever seen. Just see it right now :)