The Weather Man Reviews

January 5, 2014
I can't quite diagnose what makes this movie tick... It's got problems, but it kinda works, much like Hans Zimmer's annoying yet irresistible tick-tocking score and Nicolas Cage's obnoxious, yet irresistible doofy-faced appeal, which I guess is why he still gets work. Steve Conrad's non-linear script is expertly paced with emotionally-based plot points. He captures daily tragedies and triumphs with an insightful, darkly comedic eye. Michael Caine is the best I've ever seen him - staid and grave with much pomp and circumstance.
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
This is the type of movie that Cage should be doing more often. Serious, well written character based dark dramedies. Don't get me wrong, the "fluff" he does is entertaining, but it gets old. Movies like this is where he really shines. It also helps that this is a smaller movie from Verbinski, and, at the time it was released, was a nice break between Pirates movies. This is a very underrated film, and although I don't agree with that, I can see why. I really think more people should give this a chance. It's a good movie. Somewhat similar to American Beauty, and it has a nice message, even if not one of the characters is really sympathetic...kind of like life sometimes.
blkbomb
½ July 4, 2012
Noreen: You know what, Dave? You want to know why my BJs lacked enthusiasm? I hated you. I hated your hair. I hated your ugly legs, your forearms. I hated kissing your lips, Dave. Okay? And that's why I lacked enthusiasm when your cock was in my mouth.

"... bring an umbrella"

The Weather Man isn't the type of movie where there's any excitement. It isn't a comedy with a ton of laughs. When there's humor, it tends to be pretty dry. This is a dark, character study, dramedy. I'm not going to say it is a great movie, because I don't believe that to be true. I do, however, think it is a worthwhile film. Gore Verbinski can always bring style to his films, and he does again with The Weather Man. Maybe its style isn't like that of Pirates of the Caribbean or The Ring, but it's still there.

A weather man out of Chicago named Dave Spritz(changed from Spritzle because Spritz sounds refreshing) is getting looked at by Hello America in New York. The job would mean that he would make around a million dollars a year. It may sound like his life is great. Unfortunately it isn't. His father is dying, he's divorced and his ex-wife wants little to do with him, and his kids are dealing with all the problems kids have to deal with the added problem of their parents being divorced. So, maybe things aren't all that great for Dave after all.

The Weather Man is the type of movie I love seeing Nicolas Cage in. He's made for movies like this, not Ghostrider or Season of the Witch. No, he's made for movies like The Weather Man, Leaving Las Vegas, and Matchstick Men. Okay, so I'm a Cage fan. I always have to argue with people who say he's a horrible actor. Just because the only movies you've seen him star in are the garbage mainstream films that get forced down your throat doesn't mean he's a bad actor. It means he's an increasingly lazy one. He's taking a lot of money to star in bad movies, and when actors star in badly written and plotted films; they're acting reflects that. Go watch Leaving Las Vegas and then tell me Nicolas Cage is a bad actor. That's what I tell everyone. I will say, I am beginning to lose respect for Cage because he hasn't challenged himself for awhile and he keeps making mindless movies, but never will I say that he is a bad actor. Never. My favorite parts of The Weather Man are when Cage and Caine were onscreen together. Caine is a favorite of mine and I thought the two of them were phenomenal together.

A lot of people have criticized the movie for not being able to care about the lead character. I can't argue with that statement, as the characters for whom we care about, has to do a lot with the person watching it. All I will say is that I was able to sympathize with him and I did care about him. Overall I think this is an underrated film. It's not a movie that will change the way you look at life or movies for that matter, but it is one that deserved a little better reception then it ended up getting.
axadntpron
March 8, 2011
A true hidden gem that seemed to fly straight to DVD. One that defies classification due to it's honest look at life. Call it a drama, a comedy, or even a dramedy if you feel so inclined. But life is often funny, sad, sweet, and bizarre, all at once. Nobody's words are perfect, not every situation carries significant meaning, and things often happen without any rhyme or reason. Director Gore Verbinski seems to understands this and translates this sentiment to the screen surprisingly well.
It is a character study of a man just trying to prove his worth not only to those around him, but also to himself. Much like predicting the weather, it is often hard to know what each day is going to bring. It's our protagonist's job to know, but like the rest of us, he is just taking it one day at a time.
Over the years my view of Nicholas Cage has changed drastically. I went from finding him odd, to finding him bizarre, but embracing it. While he may not be making the best decisions regarding his roles as of late, he is pitch-perfect here. Not only does he look like your everyday pasty face on TV, but he is incredibly nuanced as a man just stumbling through life, earnestly trying to make the best of each day.
While Verbinski would make a name for himself as one of driving forces behind the titanic Pirates franchise, we can be happy that he took the time in between those films to give us such a tender, insightful, and sadly overlooked film.
TheDudeLebowski65
January 7, 2012
The Weather Man is yet another pointless film by actor Nicholas Cage. I thought that this film was a disappointment. Michael Caine is wasted here, as I think he's truly a phenomenal actor, and he happens to be one of my favourites. Nicholas Cage, as usual shows us that he can't act, and he's a so-so actor, and The Weather Man like most films in his filmography is one of his worst. The film, I felt had a bad plot, and it just didn't cut it for me. At times, I'll admit Cage is able to make a good flick, however here he just delivers a lazy, unimpressive performance. I thought that the film was boring, and there's nothing really engaging that a viewer can enjoy. The drama felt forced, and though Michael Caine was the soul saviour of this film, not even his talents could save this film from being a dud. Maybe if the script would have had a rewrite and a different lead; it would have worked. The Weather Man was simply depressing all around, it just made me wish for the end credits, and when they final rolled, it was a relief. This is a mediocre film that could have been a good, unfortunately the film in the end doesn't cut it, and it leaves you wanting more. Skip this film, if you're looking for a good film. The Weather Man is a mediocre film that doesn't entertain and it's more depressing than funny or entertaining. This film could have been something good, but it ends up failing miserably.
½ May 9, 2007
A film that you'd think is based on a Nick Hornby book, but it's not, it's an original and fairly well-written screenplay by Steven Conrad. This is an unorthodox film for Cage, with its various voiceovers, but it takes its time and tells a story about the mundane and the absurd in day-to-day American life. As Cage's father, Michael Caine very nearly steals the show (what else is new?), but for an actor I don't much like, I actually enjoyed Nic in this movie. It's not without its flaws - particularly, the way in which each loose end is tied up in the end, which makes the movie seem to end three or four times before it does - but overall this was an affecting journey. Really liked it: small story, big heart. Worth seeing.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
Wasn't that great if I'm honest. You end up confused at times and the story of the plot is lost. I don't even think it deserves half a star.
½ September 25, 2010
The Weather Man is a very weird turn for Nicolas Cage. It's not particularly good, but it's vert odd and I would almost call it bad. It has nothing going for it, and the random words thrown into each scene piss me off!
½ December 7, 2009
The Weatherman captures an amazing brand of comedy and refreshing plot. It is by far one of Nicholas Cage's best performances. The dry humor and bleak tone of the film just seems to be a great combination. Gore Verbinski has a great sense of knowing how to make a comedy actually mean something. It has an amazing character arc that not many movies like it share.
½ September 22, 2009
Cage and Caine are both great in this quirky comedy with a feel-good factor of 8 :o)
August 18, 2009
Being a lover of weather, and growing up wanting to be a meteorologist, I was hyped to see this one, but then I saw that it was alright, but not as good and certainly not as funny as I thought it'd be. Actually it wasn't funny at all, but rather more realistic and thus, very depressing. A weatherman that doesn't have a degree in meteorology? WTF!?
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
August 3, 2007
Dave Spritz: "I remember once imagining what my life would be like, what I'd be like. I pictured having all these qualities, strong positive qualities that people could pick up on from across the room. But as time passed, few ever became any qualities that I actually had. And all the possibilities I faced and the sorts of people I could be, all of them got reduced every year to fewer and fewer. Until finally they got reduced to one, to who I am. And that's who I am, the weather man."

Clever and insightful movie on the subject of growing-up in upper middle class America. Dave Spritz, a weatherman without meteorological qualifications in Chicago, is confronted with his own rage that life hasn't proceeded as he had planned. A talented man who finds it difficult to see his own talent because he compares himself with his Pulitzer winning, distant father is at a low ebb. Not to mention that "fans" delight in recognizing him on the street and throwing food at him. The other problems in his life, an angry ex-wife, a daughter bullied at school and a son just leaving rehab don't help. And Spritz would really rather just think about sex. Through finding a hobby, connecting with his dying father and standing by his kids we see the character grow and become a hero.

Review
I have seen a few films with the same plot (A successful person struggles to keep in touch with his family and tries to catch up with them) but I think this one stands out from the rest. David Spritz (Nicolas Cage) has it all. A decent job, fame and a huge amount of salary. But what the public doesn't know is that the weather man they all see everyday has his own personal problems. His success and his personal life collides with each other that makes his life a miserable one. He doesn't want to be recognized, he gets the pies, falafel, shakes, tacos and other fast food stuff every time and people hates him. But why would people hate a person who predicts the weather? You might ask. Well, let's just say that some people are pretty shallow.After seeing the film yesterday, I kept thinking that some famous people are much like Dave Spritz. Its all beauty on the outside but all bitter and horrid on the inside. Nicolas Cage gives an excellent performance (give him some credits Academy Awards!) and so is Michael Caine as his elegant, 18th Century-esquire, Pulitzer Prize winner father Robert Spritzel. Hope Davis as his argumentative wife gives a good portrayal too.
September 26, 2008
I liked this movie. It's not a genre that everyone likes. It's a story about the human condition and while I was watching it, I just thought that something like this could be happening to someone right now. Families don't always get together and life doesn't work out the way you want but you take what you get, I think that's the message of this movie. There were a couple of really funny moments to lighten the mood once in a while.
½ September 8, 2008
The kind of quirky subtle comedy made famous by Hal Ashby and also experienced recently in Garden State. Cage is perfect in a stripped down role as a brilliant narrator. A scene of him forgetting tartar source is so perfect in how his voice over conveys his distraction and eventual forgetting of said source. He's a frustrated individual, constantly asked about the weather in a world where a job becomes the definition of somebody. It's the straight faced consistency of the entire cast that make for some absolutely side splitting moments. Hearing Michael Caine say "Camel Toe" is enough to convince me this film is a success. The film suffers from no real drive, the story arcs it develops are interesting but simply patter out. For it's length though it is a wonderful and amusing comedy with a bit more to it than just the laughs.
March 31, 2007
Dave Spritz: Always fast food. Fast food. Things that people would rather throw out than finish. It's easy, it tastes all right, but it doesn't really provide you any nourishment. I'm fast food.

Nic Cage is great as the sad sack, loser weather man, and that's really what the movie is about, and it's nice to see him try to better himself, and I care when he does.

This is a fun dark comedy, with plenty of moments that ring true to life. The dialog between the characters, especially the swearing is all authentic and something that feels real for the moment.

This movie shares a lot with American Beauty, although not as deep or concurrent with the same themes, it has the same attitude.

As mentioned, Cage plays Dave Spirtz, a Chicago weatherman who is divorced with two kids and has a father he believes doesn't care too much for him. With a chance to get a good promotion, Dave wants to try harder at succeeding at life. This leads to a series of events involving archery, having fast food thrown at him, and cold weather.

Cage is very good here. Its always neat to see his character performances in between his seemingly endless bigger Hollywood movies, and dammit if I don't like his ever changing hair styles. Michael Caine also does a great job as Cage's upfront father.

Robert Spritzel: What happened to you?
Dave Spritz: I got hit with a Frosty.
Robert Spritzel: Why did you get hit with a Frosty?
Robert Spritzel: What is a Frosty?
Dave Spritz: It's a shake. From Wendy's.
Robert Spritzel: Why did you get hit with a shake?

Directed by Gore Verbinski, who I guess decided to take a break in between Pirate movies and do something more character based, he constructed the film with a neat sense of style, seemingly disguised as an indie flick, complete with a quirky and neat soundtrack.

This is an entertaining movie, that has a quirky sense of humor, made in the style of an independent film, despite the studio quality production and works very well due to Cage's strangely human character.

Dave Spritz: I mean, I'll bet no one ever threw a pie at, like Harriet Tubman, the founder of the Underground railroad. I'll bet you a million fucking dollars.
½ May 14, 2007
I'm not a big fan of Nicholas Cage. There's something about him I don't always like. I think it's that he seems like an asshole sort-of actor. And he played one in this movie. Except that he was a weatherman. And people threw stuff at him. Which wasn't as funny as the trailers seemed to show. I mean there were a few scenes where he's shown walking around with a bow and I actually thought that in the movie he'd use the bow to shoot an arrow at someone who'd throw him something. Such was not the case as this was more serious-tone film. One would think that a person like him would have it all (his character is on the verge of getting a very big job at the morning show "Hello America", kinda like the Today Show I suppose, except with Bryant Gumbel, who I thought would have a bigger cameo by the way), but all his efforts at bringing his family together, making his father proud of him and putting his life in order fail miserably. As he narrated at some point during the film, when his character is in front of his wife's and children's home (he doesn't live with them anymore), that someone living in that house should be happy there but that's not the case, pretty much sums up what I got from this film. As much as he tries to correct his mistakes or fix his problems or "chuck some things in this shit life", the truth is life is very unpredictable... very much like the weather itself.
November 21, 2007
I did't get the point of it
puffchunk
October 23, 2007
I watched it, and at the end really didn't care to ever think about it again.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 10, 2007
didnt see all of it but enjoyed it
January 21, 2007
It's not that The Weather Man does anything wrong, per se, but I really had trouble caring about it either way. After watching it with my friend, who liked it much more than I, I tried to formulate why I wasn't particularly interested in the movie but failed.

It's well-written and put together smartly, but I really couldn't have cared what happened with the plot or the characters.