92% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Weight of Water Reviews

Red L

August 27, 2008
I enjoyed the plots. It took a while to become comfortable with the dual stories.
gor41
gor41

February 9, 2008
Sarah Polley saves a predictable fable from drowning in Sean Penn's ham.
deano
deano

August 13, 2007
Very strange intriguing premise - solving a 100-year-old double murder - promises much but ultimately sinks under the weight of its own complexity. Even Sean penn and Elizabeth Hurley's flirtations fail to liven things up.
John B

April 10, 2013
You would have expected more from Bigelow's directorial debut particularly when she had Sean Penn and Sarah Polley to use but this is a boat that seems to drift endlessly with the unlikely revelation of a centuries old murder. A head scratcher by the time the credits roll.
Jeffrey M

January 20, 2012
The Weight of Water follows two stories, one about a mysterious double murder in the 1870s, the other a modern day story line that seeks answers to the first. Both are interesting, but the older one much more so. The biggest problem the movie are the shifts between the two, which undercut the effectiveness of both narratives, giving the film a disjointed feel. There's enough to like about both plot lines to keep it interesting, especially the acting, but unfortunately kept down from some ineffective direction.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

May 9, 2010
This movie switches between the lurid and sensational axe murder of two women in 1873 and the modern day story of a newspaper photographer, Jean (Catherine McCormack) who is researching the crime over 100 years later. Sarah Polley's performance as Maren Hontredt, a young and hard-working Norwegian woman bought to this land far away from her family and married to a much older man is compelling and gripping. She struggles with a cold marriage, a desperate secret and a building internal rage that threatens her sanity. The past sequences were awesome, but I found the present day scene was predictable and lacked character development and continuity. Nevertheless Sean Penn is engaging to watch, and Liz Hurley is well cast as a flirty seductress.

"Women's motives are always more concealed than men's," and this is revealed as we witness the powerful fury of violent emotions that sometimes overtake good people and move them to acts of horror.
August 1, 2010
I enjoyed this film. A good mix of the present day with flashbacks in the 1800's of a bloody double ax murder.
February 7, 2009
I just happened upon this, had never even heard of it. and its a shame, too. more people should see this one. was a nice break from the monotony of the main stream films that I have seen lately. great lil flick.

** review to be continued **
February 9, 2008
Lightweight! Too many plot twists, left me looking around for something to do. The intense scenes on the boat were good. Sean Penn is usually much better. Elizabeth Hurley is really good. Definitely will not watch again. Did not care for the soundtrack at all, there were times when the music just did not go with the action.
YUK....
August 25, 2007
Good performances, but the film isn't pulled together in a way that makes sense. I have to give it some lee-way because I saw it in Italy, in Italian.
August 14, 2007
Deep, dramatic, and partially true. I was more than pleased with this well acted historical drama. Slow, so for most people probably not the thing to do. I went and researched the actual story online, pretty creepy....
MissDelarge
June 11, 2007
This movie is a straight 3 star. Not to good, not to bad. Pretty strange movie but it was okey. I do like Sean Penn...watch it if you like=)
May 22, 2007
dual story line. one about a grisly murder committed over 100 years ago on a lonely island. the other about the photographer who is reinvestigating the murder; and the problems she is facing in her own life. a bit slow moving, but still enjoyable.
moviempress
March 4, 2007
A thriller cut together with two separate storylines, one in the present with one woman investigating an unsolved murder of the past. It's cleverly filmed, with wonderful editing but the present day story gets a little lost amomg the sea. It had potential to be even more than what it was if further explored. Wonderful performances and some great suspense, though
February 27, 2014
This film is awful. Bad direction. Stinks right from the beginning.
Suzanne O.
September 14, 2013
I definitely disagree with Rotten Tomatoes review. The acting was great and I felt that the actors were well chosen for their roles. Sean Penn is always great and Catherine McCormack did a great job portraying Jean. Also Sarah Polley was very believable as Maren Hontvedt. I believe the movie conveyed a sense of suspense and mystery, both about Jean and Thomas with Rich and Adaline. When they go back in time, the Norwegian fishing family is also portrayed very well, showing the sense of depression which Maren endures along with disappointment with her new life in America. The suspense builds up with the coming of Evan and his new bride, Anethe. You can almost sense the tension and discontent building up, with Karen's sharp words and Maren's more subtle criticism of her sister and of her husband allowing her to live with them. The director creates a sense of foreboding and gloom on the island and also inside their home. Then with Jean and Thomas, there is tension as Jean becomes aware that Adaline is drawn to her husband. Finally Jean confronts Adaline about this and she realizes that Adaline is not really attracted to Thomas, except for his poetry.

I do not understand why this movie received such bad criticism and reviews. I certainly do not agree with their review and think this is one of the best suspense movies I have ever seen.
Robyn M.
February 11, 2013
When a movie gets itself over certain hurdles, establishing believably, mainly, and creating audience sympathy with/for one or more characters-- I am willing to silence my nagging inner critic, who is perhaps a thwarted pleasure principle raising its head to be fed.

Sarah Polley makes this film. Her acting was excellent, but I found myself, at first, most delighted by her "Norwegian" accent. As the movie went on, I got addicted to that accent, which for me had become integral to her performance. She, not Hurley, not Penn, was the centerpiece of this movie.
June 19, 2012
A plot muddled with simple dialogue and cliches, Anita Shreve's wonderful book is awfully ignored by the actors. Sean Penn pathetically tries to make horrible writing into something worth listening to ,yet Sarah Polley actually delivers a chilling performance that makes the movie bearable to watch.
Luke W.
May 17, 2012
This film could have been better had Bigelow ditched the modern half of the story and focused solely on Polley's character, which I found intriguing, even if her story wasn't fully fleshed out.
Jeffrey M