64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Were the World Mine Reviews

Thomas J

February 17, 2011
A production of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Nights Dream" wakes a town from their prejudices! Tanner Cohen performs outstandingly! Too bad there is too much "art" for the closed-minded conservatives that would learn and benefit from this movie most! lol Fun movie!
Mark H

July 2, 2009
Whimsical musical about a student who, inspired by Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, whips up a magical potion from a flower that causes people to fall in love as he does. Although it occasionally wanders into camp territory, film remains a memorable variation on the bard's classic. Earnest indie preaching acceptance, is underscored by a charismatic cast and lush musical numbers, beautifully sung. Together they highlight this original and frequently winning film.
jjnxn
jjnxn

June 27, 2009
Different to say the least, musical modern updating of A Midsummer Night's Dream with a gay twist, is enjoyable in parts but tries too hard for whimsy instead of being naturally whimsical.
Ken S

October 24, 2008
A juvenile fantasy of mediocrity.

William S would be ashamed

However I did get to meet Wendy Robie from Twin Peaks at the premiere, so that was pretty cool.
Sylvester K

May 21, 2012
First of all, this is a really clever film, why wouldn't someone try to make a love potion? This is one of the sweetest independent film I've seen, the numbers were really good, sung by talented cast. Secondly, the acting by Wendy Robie saved the entire film, without her this would be another cheap looking film, but she really proved her acting ability. The gay guys couldn't act straight, that's I am saying. I am sure we've all learnt something today. Clap your hands if we'd be friends.
Sunil J

September 25, 2009
Kinda reminded me of a gayer version of A Dirty Shame but a little smarter and more enjoyable.
divinetrash
divinetrash

September 2, 2009
The lead guy (I forgot to check his name) is an excellent protagonist, very talented actor, and it's also fantastic to see Wendy Robie (without her eye-patch), the songs are good and its a very creative movie; I just hate how they have to make it look like the guy and his mother moved to the only town where no one has ever seen a gay guy because, of course, being a movie with a gay theme they have to treat like it was some Very Special Episode where everyone reacts to the news dramatically and then comes to terms with it by the end. I really hate that.
March 20, 2010
I had pretty low expectations for this from the description so I was pleasantly surprised. I get the title song in my head sometimes.
officiallyme
November 24, 2008
brilliant! the music is dreamy and brite while the plot is fun and unique! it avoided a lot of pesky stereotypes and they picked believeable characters! oh yeah and i'm in love with the fact that the song's lyrics are from shakespeare's "a midsummer night's dream"! just plain clever, i tell you! (and beautiful) i can't stop listening to the music now, i've fallen in love!
cappieforpresident
July 13, 2011
The "dreaming sequences" were slightly stupid and slightly funny. That goes for the rest of the movie as well. Also, it's kind of charming.
NoxInvictus
November 28, 2009
I thought the synopsis sounded pretty interesting but man, so many parts in the movie was just...overkill!! I get that its a gay musical but that doesnt mean you HAFTO go overboard.
jam233
October 11, 2009
Very well meaning and I admire how original it is. Some surprisingly good musical numbers. The performances are a bit amateur, but overall they are good. Great score. Light and enjoyable.
September 7, 2009
Cute musical, w/really cute men. A play based on a Midsummer Night's Dream, in an all boy school,. & a magical flower that, helps the main character Alexander Aguilar dream man fall in love w/him.. Tired of the hate and discontent of the towns homophobia, he turns the town gay w/the squirt of a liquid from a purple Lilly, Cute funny.,sexy, & well acted.... A must see.
on Logo or maybe @ your local video store....if they don't have it demand it....
dredzag
August 7, 2009
I'm not a huge musical fan but I loved this! It doesnt overpower you...has a good balance. Gay film-fantasy at it's best.
Ipinchu
July 1, 2009
Shakespeare's Midsummer Nights Dream reworked as a gay boy's fantasy. The music was beautiful and the filmotography was fantastic. It does come off as a bit immature at times but it fits the storyline. The acting was stupendous and the lead actor is def a face I would love to see again and again.
WoadedCelt
December 21, 2008
Loved this movie - mostly for the music, yes it's a musical. Uplifting, wonderful story with a happy ending. A Midsummer's Night Dream retelling with a twist and music.
November 28, 2008
Love the soundtrack. Love the actors. The movie itself reminds me of High School Musical, which is very unfortunate. =(
standbyfilms
November 20, 2008
This great new Indi opens this weekend in NY LA and SF and its a great new take on Midsummers Nigh Dream - with a new company of actors.

This far surpassed HSM3 in any form. Tom Gustafson finally made his short "Fairies" into a full-scale musical in "Were the World Mine," the script is clever as it is based in an all boys prep HS.

Tanner Cohen has an amazing singing voice, so it isn't hard to believe that he would captivate the school's star rugby player, the handsome Nathaniel David Becker. And Cohen, like Shakespeare's puckish sprite, explodes all stereotypes, managing to be at once masculine and fey. Robie brings the right note of sardonic humor to her witchlike role. Zelda Williams (Robin's daughter) adds considerable spunk as Timothy's best friend. Christian Stolte makes a perfect Shakespearean fool as the macho coach turned into a lovesick ass.

The rich full cinematography belies the modest budget. Lots of movies take no chances and still manage to fail. This picture dares to summon the spirit of the Bard as well as the ghost of Arthur Freed and succeeds as a rousing, warm-hearted feeling.

Take a chance on this film and see it on the big screen. It was a hit at the Frameline film fest in SF and held many honors as the audience fav in other film fests earlier this year.

Vince