• R, 1 hr. 37 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Wet Hot American Summer Reviews

Alice S

June 1, 2014
Does antisocial meanness, shrill dramatics, petulant assholery, and non sequitur screaming pass for comedy? Never mind the baseless and cyclical love story between nebbish Coop and sweet but heartless Katie, the movie is a series of daffy improv skits, not a cohesive story. The few clever one-liners are delivered so emphatically that they lose timing and believability. This dreck is neither wet nor hot nor American nor summery.
Dan S

October 20, 2007
An entertaining, hilarious mash-up of summer camp movies with horny teenage camp counselors and how their last day of summer camp goes. I don't understand how this movie has such a low rating on RT (31%!), because the cast definitely understands what is going on and has a ball with it. Sure, it kind of feels like an extended sketch but the humor is spot-on for the most part. The cliches and stereotypes are examined and torn apart with skill, and the movie is well paced for the most part. Nothing outstanding, but definitely solid entertainment.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 14, 2013
Beth: McKinley, there are some lower campers stuck in the obstacle course. I meant to tell you about that yesterday, but could you get to it now?

"High times. Hard bodies. Soft rock."

Wet Hot American Summer is a parody that doesn't really  work in my opinion. It has a great cast, a great soundtrack, but everything else... lacks. Maybe it's because I never went to summer camp, maybe it's because I haven't watched a whole lot of summer camp movies; but I just didn't like this movie at all. There were a couple laughs, rather chuckles, though out, but for the most part the jokes were flat.

This follows a variety of characters on the last day of summer camp in 1981. Most of the humor revolves around characters trying to get someone on the last day of camp. The movie makes all the characters completely ridiculous and the plot points even more ridiculous. Obviously that's the point of parody, but it just doesn't work for whatever reason.

If you're a huge fan of parodies, this may be worth a shot. As for me this isn't a genre I love, other than a few notable exceptions. Don't expect much from it though if you do go ahead and watch, even with a phenomenal and large cast of funny and talented people. The great soundtrack makes everything go down slightly better though.
Julie B

December 27, 2012
I knew Meatballs. Meatballs was a friend of mine. And you, Wet Hot American Summer, are no Meatballs.
Kevin C

December 10, 2012
Goofy, irreverent, and insanely random, but still retains its heart. Lots of funny people make this movie work as well as it does.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 9, 2009
"The movie is just full of fun. The characters are silly and have very unique personalities.. I thought they all were funny. The movie is all over the place and never stays on one topic or on one scene for very long. There is so much craziness happening that you can't help but get swept up in this chaotic film. It is a mindless good time."
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 22, 2011
It was the last day of summer camp.

Fun movie and entertaining. It's fill with alot of comedians and B actors which made one decent movie all-around. Summer camps were fun when you were a kid and this movie kinda reminded me that time in my life. Marguerite Moreau wow what a cutie, probably my perfect kinda girl physical wise. The movie is meant to be funny and stupid so don't take it seriously, enjoy it!

The setting is Camp Firewood, the year 1981. It's the last day before everyone goes back to the real world, but there's still a summer's worth of unfinished business to resolve. At the center of the action is camp director Beth, who struggles to keep order while she falls in love with the local astrophysics professor. He is busy trying to save the camp from a deadly piece of NASA's Skylab which is hurtling toward earth. All that, plus: a dangerous waterfall rescue, love triangles, misfits, cool kids, and talking vegetable cans. The questions will all be resolved, of course, at the big talent show at the end of the day.
Spencer S

October 14, 2010
From the wicked minds behind Stella and The State comes a cliched movie about camp life, that is in itself a rude satire and spoof ridden commentary on youth. Starting off with a milieu of the greatest charatcer comedy actors of the decade (Marino, Showalter, Rudd, Garofalo, Banks, Poehler, etc.) the story revolves around the last day at Camp Firewood, with all the same bits crammed into every other movie about camp: virginity, friendship turning into more, inter-camp game with a ragtag band of losers, geeks, and of course a falling satellite hell bent on destroying the annual talent show. It's weird, wacky, silly stuff, but the underlying goofiness of Meatballs meets Airplane is a piece of feel good Americana that everyone can enjoy.
Luke B

January 25, 2011
The whole summer camp culture is lost on this Brit. Therefore, I feel as though much of the humor flew right past me. Luckily, the film is full of talent that, now at least, is recognized everywhere. The large ensemble and skittish nature of the film allow it to hit a few number of highs and completely bounce over any lows. It's obvious to see how such a film could reach cult status. We are treated to a number of setups that are probably funnier for the audience when recollecting the events. Certainly worth a watch, even if just to see these huge talents excel years before their collective dominance.
Leigh R

December 12, 2006
So bad that it was so good. Meloni really takes the cake with his character and seriously steals the entire movie. I liked it from beginning to end.
Megan S

May 27, 2010
I actually really really enjoyed this movie. It was so over the top it was awesome. Christopher Meloni's character stole the show, I could not stop laughing whenever he was on screen. There were a few things that really pissed me off though, that were a little too much, but overall I found it hilarious.
Michael G

February 20, 2007
God, I love this movie! Classic random and dumb humor from the guys from The State. If you're not laughing in the first 10 minutes you may as well shut it off because you won't get it. Hot Wet American Summer is a wonderful take-off of the tidal wave of summer camp movies from the late 70s and early 80s that will leave you asking what the fuck while having you laugh your ass off. This movie gets more hilarious with every viewing and the cast is nothing short of great. And this movie left me with a new-found respect for Christopher Meloni. And his jar of dick cream...
Conner R

November 18, 2009
A classic from David Wain and the rest of Stella. This exaggerated comedy is full of ridiculously funny characters and witty dialogue that you can't help but laugh at it's ridiculousness.
Jennifer X

November 10, 2009
This movie...it's ridiculous, sometimes hilarious, sometimes not. It's not exactly my type of humor but it's definitely watchable.
Mark H

July 21, 2009
Fromm the stars of the MTV sketch comedy show "The State" comes this alleged parody of 80s teen comedies. In reality this summer camp film plays more like the genuine article than an ironic caricature. The film is structurally weak. The look of the era is nicely captured, but scene after scene is so sloppily written and put together, there isn't much of a point. Director David Wain would ultimately write & direct the excellent Role Models, but you'd have to have been psychic to see that talent here.
Tim S

November 5, 2008
A fucking hilarious movie. It was interesting to see all the guys who are pretty big names in comedy (and some that are not) at the start of their careers. Paul Rudd is probably one of my favorite comedic actors right now (I cannot wait for Role Models) and his character was my favorite. At times, the film makes absolutely no sense, but that is part of what is great about it. Loved it.
jjnxn
jjnxn

July 6, 2007
incredible that this many talented people could be in something so moronic.
Joey S

July 4, 2013
The humor is very hit-or-miss and it's as inconsistent as a comedy can get, but David Wain's summer camp satire does have its moments. On the last day of summer camp in the 1980s, a group of camp counselors aim to have as much fun as they can before it's all over, which in many cases involves hooking up with other counselors. The cast is made of up of a number of familiar faces, including Paul Rudd, Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pearce, Elizabeth Banks, Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler, and Molly Shannon. You would think that a cast this great would automatically make this movie hilarious, but it doesn't exactly work out that well. There are undeniably a few great moments, notably the climactic talent show at the end, but more often than not it just feels like a mediocre summer camp comedy version of Dazed and Confused. The humor is a mixed bag to be sure, but there are few sub-plots that stand out as being funny, notably Bradley Cooper's romance with another counselor and Molly Shannon's mental breakdown in front of her campers because her boyfriend left her. It's far from the unfunny disaster that critics describe it as, but it's also not the comedic gold that many people hail it is. Wet Hot American Summer is an forgettable but amusing comedy that benefits from a fantastic all-star cast and some very funny moments, but it ultimately doesn't quite feel deserving of the cult status it's earned.
Christopher H

March 28, 2012
A little too over-the-top for my liking, Wet Hot American Summer provides an early glimpse into the careers of some of the top comedic actors around today.
Alec B

January 17, 2011
The more absurd it gets, the better it is. The frenzied final half hour is amazing.