16-Year-Old "Whale Rider" Star To Be A Mommy

Young Oscar-nominated actress Keisha Castle-Hughes, who starred in the lauded New Zealand drama "Whale Rider" at the tender age of 12, has announced that she's pregnant. "Whale Rider" came out in 2002, so if you do the math...the young mom-to-be is sixteen years old. But a very mature sixteen, they say.

Castle-Hughes became the youngest, uh, woman, nominated for a Best Actress Oscar in 2004, for her debut performance as a Maori girl destined to become her tribe's leader in "Whale Rider." She followed up that turn with a role in "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," as the Queen of Naboo. Her next role? Playing the Virgin Mary in Catherine Hardwicke's "The Nativity Story," due this December.

Castle-Hughes next stars as Mary in December's "The Nativity Story"

According to gossip-scooper People Magazine, the baby's father is Castle-Hughes' boyfriend of three years, nineteen-year-old Bradley Hull. The two met in high school.

Castle-Hughes is also onboard the Australian coming-of-age dramedy "Hey, Hey, It's Esther Blueburger," in which she's set to star with Toni Collette. It's about a 13-year-old Jewish girl (played by Aussie newcomer Danielle Catanzariti) who secretly switches from private to public school; production is scheduled to start this month, and Castle-Hughes is expected to give birth in the spring.

Comments

NoneMoreBlack

Dylan Miller

this is.... gross?

Oct 6 - 12:20 PM

Reeven

Jud Widing

Oops.

Oct 6 - 12:36 PM

Sadistik

J. P.

she should get an abortion just to fuck with the intended audience of "The NAtivity Story"

Oct 6 - 12:40 PM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

The Christians Conservatives should all love it, they want to get back to traditional values so this girl should already be married with 3 or 4 children by now, staying in the kitchen to make sure her husband has a hot meal to come home to

Oct 6 - 12:59 PM

puablo

Josh Jones

WOW. You are my hero. I was waiting for someone to make a crack relating this news with the Nativity movie.

Oct 6 - 01:22 PM

wilkiedriver

Aaron Wilkins

You sound bitter...

Oct 6 - 08:41 PM

Marv Vega

Robb Larson

Great comment!! Although if she really wanted to screw with them she'd swear on the bible that she's never had sex.

Oct 7 - 01:28 PM

Oct 6 - 08:41 PM

puablo

Josh Jones

Oct 6 - 01:22 PM

dudemovies

Mike Masselli

I guess she rode too much whale

Oct 6 - 03:21 PM

Mudhole

Andrew Goodridge

You just became the single greatest poster in the history of RT. NICE.

Oct 6 - 05:31 PM

kiwi_chick

alice mckinley

no the age of consent in NZ is 16 so its not illegal

Oct 8 - 12:56 AM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

I guess she didn't realise it was a sperm whale.
*rimshot*

Oct 6 - 07:56 PM

Filmshark

Patrick Van Dyke

Isn't that illegal? I mean if he's 19 and she's 16... :-(

Oct 6 - 05:24 PM

Mudhole

Andrew Goodridge

You just became the single greatest poster in the history of RT. NICE.

Oct 6 - 05:31 PM

kiwi_chick

alice mckinley

no the age of consent in NZ is 16 so its not illegal

Oct 8 - 12:56 AM

spiteface

Kent McGowan

The legal age for sex in New Zealand is 16, so no, its not illegal.

Oct 6 - 06:00 PM

VML

Victoria Leduc

you said it

Oct 6 - 09:48 PM

andrew kruzel

Wow i cant believe how many of you nerds are complete bigots, maybe you guys should of been aborted and the rest of us would never have to hear from you retards.

Oct 6 - 07:43 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

I guess she didn't realise it was a sperm whale.
*rimshot*

Oct 6 - 07:56 PM

wilkiedriver

Aaron Wilkins

You sound bitter...

Oct 6 - 08:41 PM

VML

Victoria Leduc

you said it

Oct 6 - 09:48 PM

inessalenin

Inessa Lenin

Too young to be a mother!

Oct 7 - 01:34 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

I love how this immediately turned into a Christian bash just because the chick's in a Jesus movie.

You guys do realize you are acting far worse than the Christians you demonize, I hope. Since you seem to think it's such a great idea to insult people and tell them how their ideas are all assinine and you are superior, I wonder what it is about Christians that you dislike so much, other than the mere idea that they dare to hold a different viewpoint from yours.

And what the hell's this crap you're supporting about obeying social conventions? I mean sure, 16 is young for motherhood, but are you actually saying there's something wrong with people who don't go to grad school or who marry before they're 30? You must hate just about everybody for some reason, huh?

Oct 7 - 08:55 AM

JimmyStewart

James Barta

"I wonder what it is about Christians that you dislike so much, other than the mere idea that they dare to hold a different viewpoint from yours."

I know I enjoy my fair share of Christian bashing simply because the shoe is almost always on the other foot. I cannot even begin to tell you the number of times I've been told I was going to hell for the music I listen to, the books I've read, the movies I've watched, my political views... hell I've even been told that some of the restaurants I eat at are "against God". And I'm not even talking about serious issues, for example I've been told on a number of occasions that I'm hellbound for reading things like Harry Potter or watching a Star Wars film. For studying science, logic and reality as opposed to the bible, fantasy and fairy tales, I received quite an earful from a number of concerned Christians. I even had a family friend who died over in Iraq and his funeral was basically ruined by a group of Christians who decided to yell derogatory comments to those attending because our country doesn't openly hate gay people.

Glad to be able to clear this up for you. Honestly it's not terribly confusing. It's a case of "what goes around comes around". Christians have constantly been trying to force their views upon others. It struck me a bit funny as you suggest the users here are overly critical to those of a different viewpoint when that's the standard behavior that most Christians adopt. They've been trying to push their beliefs into our laws and our schools. I can think of no other group of people who tend to belittle the beliefs of others or who judge others more harshly.

And I know that not all Christians behave so disgustingly, but there are enough to keep these bad feelings going. There have been too many people coming in my life to try to tell me that I'm not allowed to do the things I want to do because it's against what they personally believe in. That's what makes people like me poke sport at Christians on a message board. It gives people like me a chance to show them what it's like to be harassed simply for having a different view on the world.

And before you mention how childish it is, I didn't take part in this Christian bashing and I don't usually because it a is a bit petty. But it's very easy to understand where it comes from and one shouldn't be surprised that it happens. They've had it coming. Try not to take it so hard.

Oct 7 - 10:43 AM

andrew kruzel

Wow, hypocrite. It is people like you, the nonchristians that belittle and push you beliefs on people more then the fundies. You are bad guy not the christians you just hate to think what you do is wrong so you hypocritically blame the christians, go away bigot, to bad your mom did not abort you.

Oct 7 - 01:35 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

This is either a joke or proof that his post was right on. Either way, it's funny.

Oct 7 - 01:55 PM

andrew kruzel

Actually little bigot, if you read his post he sounded exactly like the people he hates, he wants his beliefs pushed on others and he belittles the fundies beliefs so he is just a walking talking hypocrite.

Oct 7 - 03:27 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

You're funny.

Oct 8 - 12:20 AM

andrew kruzel

and your a bigot, so what?

Oct 8 - 03:18 AM

BrokenDreamer

Joshua Caylor

[b]True Christians[/b]
I have been reading and hearing these different accounts of how completely insensitive and intolerant christians are from many different sources, and I decided that I have had enough and won't be silent any longer. I will first acknowledge, and this might surprise you, that even as a Christian myself, I am disgusted by the kind of actions you described in your post and in other examples. This is not true Christianity, as you seem convinced it is, and it actually gives Christianity the wrong reputation. Consider the Islamic religion. Not every Muslim is a terrorist set on destroying America; the extremist misrepresent the religion. Same goes for Christian extremists.

What you are describing is not pure Christianity. You are describing religious groups and other fundamentalists who twist the Bible for their own purposes. This is why I am just as offended by these examples as you are. As a Christian, it pains me to hear stories of people who have hurt you and others with their extreme intolerance and hatred, but this is not what the Bible preaches. In fact, to know what real Christianity should be like, just read the story of Jesus Christ, sinces Christians are supposed to be reflections of Christ.

First off, Christians are not supposed to be a hateful people. Jesus Christ would grieve for those who were abused in his name, and would not approve of the actions of these fundamentalists. Consider the story's of the Pharisees, who were in constant conflict with Jesus and best represent the fundamentalists you despise (in other words, a fundamentalist, being like the Pharisees, would be someone Jesus, and therefore true Christians, opposes). In one example, the Pharisees caught Jesus "dining with sinners," and Jesus replied by telling them that he came to help the sick. (Matthew 9:11) In his response, he states that he "desires mercy and not sacrifice" (Matthew 9:13). Look up the word mercy and you will find that it is associated with compassion, which is a word that could be used to describe Christ.

This might not be enough evidence, but it would go on long. (I dare you to read the gospel and hopefully you will have a better understanding of who Christ is and what love he has for his children.) But in regards to the idea of violent protests against sin, Jesus walked among the sinners and spoke with kindness. This is how Christians are supposed to act. In fact, the second commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:39), and the Bible preaches love over anything else (1 Corinthians 13, these are the instructions Christians should follow). In fact, Jesus even says in a parable that what you do unto others is done to him (Matthew 25).

Anyways, I am trully sorry for the way Christians treated you, but I thought I should defend Christianity. Real Christians love their neighbors, respond in compassion, not hatred. Real Christians follow the example of Christ (who gave his life for those he loves, instead of killing others). To really know what Christianity is, read the story of Christ. You might be surprised.

By the way, this does not mean that Christians are meant to be accepting of everything either. On the contrary, God wants us to love the sinner, not the sin. And also, remember that Christians are human and make mistakes, but their mistakes are not what Christianity is meant to be. As for this 16 year old girl, my response, as a Christian, wasn't "she is going to hell," but rather, out of sadness, "She is another example of someone who has to care for a child at a young age." All true Christians really want is that others can experience the love they feel from Christ, but everyone has a choice. I don't want to force you to do anything, and neither does God. Hopefully you realize this after reading this.

Oct 7 - 02:51 PM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

I actually read your whole essay, wow. I agree with what your saying about Christianity, but it sounds more like your trying to convert others than you are trying to defend your culture.

Oct 7 - 03:04 PM

timov

bob jones

well, i hate to tell you this, but other people are going to force their views on you till the day you die - not just christians. whether it's quizno's telling you that you should eat their subs because they have more me than subway, or some muslim saying you must either convert to islam or die by the sword. people are going to tell you who to vote for, which movies to watch or which car to buy. and somehwere in there you're going to come across a christian who is totally cool to you and tells you that what you do or watch or listen to is fine, as long as it doesnt harm your relationship with God. and you're also going to come across the occasional nutjob. those idiots who demonstrate at military funerals fall into that category. they're a disgrace to america and to the christian community. they are not being christ-like and are therefore in the wrong when it comes to true christianity. as a christian and an american, they disgust me.

as far as your criticism that christians try to "push their beliefs into our laws and schools." well, maybe you should reread a history book and study our forefathers a bit more before making such claims. we, as christians, are not trying to push beliefs IN, we're trying to keep them from being pushed OUT. our country, our laws, were all based on christian ideals. they were there to start with. it's why we came to america to begin with. it's non-christians who are trying to get our ideals out. its the special interest groups who are afraid of people with morals, because we are a threat to their societal acceptance.

what you really need to do is open your eyes and see the real threat is islam. the muslims are slowly creeping into our society and i promise you, they have no good intentions for non-muslims. if someone tells you, well, thats only the radicals. the truth is, islam is a radical religion. when i said they want you to convert or die, i wasn't joking. their scripture, their prophet tells them that. true christianity is about love and forgiveness and free will. so chill out on the christian bashing. our only real intent should be to have a moral society. common sense tells us right from wrong. our nation is losing our common sense out of fear of offending someone, anyone.

and just to stay on topic, i think it's kind of ironic that this whale ridin chick will be playing the virgin mary. now that i know this, will i watch it? no. would i have watched it before? no. do i give a crap? not really. heck, i didnt even know she was in sith and i've seen that movie about 5 times. she's really really low on my importance radar. what's her name again? i couldn't even tell you.

Oct 12 - 08:04 AM

Marv Vega

Robb Larson

Oct 7 - 01:28 PM

Oct 7 - 01:35 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Oct 7 - 01:55 PM

Oct 7 - 03:27 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

You're funny.

Oct 8 - 12:20 AM

andrew kruzel

and your a bigot, so what?

Oct 8 - 03:18 AM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Oct 7 - 01:55 PM

Oct 7 - 03:27 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

You're funny.

Oct 8 - 12:20 AM

andrew kruzel

and your a bigot, so what?

Oct 8 - 03:18 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

I wrote a comment earlier saying Christian Conservatives want these traditional values-- I made a mistake since these "values" are a symptom of most cultures world wide.

And yes I do believe there is something wrong with women giving up on their careers and future(something we don't know wether or not this girl has done, btw). The whole institution of the young, stay-at-home moms is one created by men for the purpose of keeping men dominate in society. You can argue all you want about how this may be necessary, but that is what it boils down to. It frightens me that this has once again become an accepted practice in Western Society (I guess Feminism be damned)

And yes, I know she comes from a religous culture, which may explain the acceptance of being pregnet so young, but how does that condone it. I'm Jewish, the religion that practically defined(and justified) the inferior role women are molded into in Western culture, does that mean it should be excused out of "Cultural sensitivity"??(don't even get me started on how women are treated in the East)

We are at an impass in out society, in which women have the ability and desire to particapate in shaping our world. Although a RottenTomatoes forum is not the best place to figure this out, we must find a balance between the need to further our population, and a way to further a woman's role shaping our society, rather than just have her acting as a servant to her family. I wish there were more women posting on this site so I could hear their opinions(for too long, men have set the fate of women).

Oct 7 - 02:39 PM

andrew kruzel

The problem with your post is that you think that she had no choice in the matter. I hate to tell you but REAL feminism condones womens choices to do whatever they want, if they want to be barefoot and pregnant serving their husband they have every right to do so. And dont get me started on this whole "male dominated society being wrong", i hate to tell you but a woman run society would be just as bead if not worst. Also on a sidenote true feminism is about everyone being equal, not what feminist are doing today and trying to get special treatment for women. So stop being what you are are condemning and except here choices. Do not be like a majority of these bigot nerds who have no idea what the world is like and know nothing about religion or science.

Oct 7 - 03:26 PM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

How in the hell did you think I meant I would like to see a society run by women? I was talking about equal opportunity. point out how you infered that I would like to see women in domiinate control... Also, you sound like an asshole for what you say about others on this site. (I know it's "hypocritical" for me to call you asshole, but the shoe seems to fit- also you use the word hypocite so much you sound repetitive-- next you will be on you Sallinger fix and keep calling us "Phonies")

And as to her having a choice in the matter-- how much of a choice do you think anyone has in the way there lives are run-- do you think if she grew up in a different enviroment her choices would be the same.

And as for you thinking I claim to be an expert on science and religion, that's the last thing I would claim-- what I called for was an open discussion because the truth is I am no expert and neither are you

Oct 7 - 03:32 PM

andrew kruzel

Oh i just cut ahead of you before you could say something like that. I know you did not say that but most of the time when people say what you said they think that a matriachy would be great. I use the term so much because so many people here are hypocrites. People have a large degree of choice. She choose to have sex, she choose to have the baby, and she will choose to take care of it. People who complain about not having any choice are just lazy. That last line was not directed to you, i was just saying that you should not sound like the bigots that are on this board.

Oct 7 - 03:46 PM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

you finally made one point I could agree with-- it CAN be seen as lazy to just give up and say we have no choices in life.

We do have the power to overcome the way we were raised and make different choices, but on a mass scale this is not the way it works. I know it's off the subject, but do you really beleive that the kids who grew up dealing on my corner are going to make choices as you are when faced with the same situation? or a child who grows up in a religious culture as opposed to a secular one? most of the time people follow their infuences of how they were raised--it's not G-d's destiny or fate-- it's just the way the world seems to work.

No, if you'll excuse me, it's Saturday night and my enviroment has deemed this is the night for me to go out and have fun-- and I think I will go along with those cultural influences and go out tonight (free will BE DAMNED)

Oct 7 - 04:03 PM

andrew kruzel

They can make the same decisions, they are just too lazy to do it. Yes it saturday, time to get drunk, i am unlucky enough to be DD tonight. But have a goodnight.

Oct 7 - 04:38 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday