What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1960)
Average Rating: 7.8/10
Reviews Counted: 45
Fresh: 41 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 4
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 2
Average Rating: 4/5
User Ratings: 32,648
As a child, Baby Jane Hudson was the toast of vaudeville. As an adult, however, Baby Jane was overshadowed by her more talented sister, Blanche, who became a top movie star. Then, one night in the early '30s, came the accident, which crippled Blanche for life and which was blamed on a drunken, jealous Jane. Flash-forward to 1962: Jane (Bette Davis), decked out in garish chalk-white makeup, still lives with the invalid Blanche (Joan Crawford) in their decaying L.A. mansion. When Jane isn't
Oct 31, 1960 Limited
Sep 25, 1997
Warner Bros. Pictures
Watch It Now
Mrs. Della Flagg
Baby Jane Hudson
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Aldrich's direction and dynamite performances from the two old troupers make this film an experience.
The chain of circumstances grows, violence creating violence. Once the inept, draggy start is passed, the film's pace builds with ever-growing force.
The on-screen fireworks were reportedly fuelled by off-screen hatred, but the chemistry between the stars is unquestionably hair-raising and upped the Gothic stakes to camp shock levels.
There are plenty of thrills and no shortage of suspense in this darkly comic horror film.
Remains fascinatingly warped: an extended study in decaying flesh, set to a score mordantly trying to break into Hooray for Hollywood.
Remains a masterclass in 'uglying up' and a relevant comment on the destructive nature of celebrity.
[VIDEO] "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" is a legendary thriller worthy of its two great stars.
Depending on your sensibilities, the film is either a black camp comedy or psychological horror %u2013 either way, it's hugely entertaining
The 1930s Lugosi/Karloff match-ups at Universal Studios only suggested the potential of what a decades-long feud like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford could produce.
For the viewer, too, this creepy mood-piece is far from a comfortable watch.
Crawford wisely underacts -- if her performance isn't as showy as Davis's, it's not any less accomplished.
Sick! Sick! Sick!
While Crawford is rather subdued throughout the film, Davis chews up the scenery as one of the most bizarre, depraved villainesses you'll ever encounter.
the grandious acting makes up for every flaw
Audience Reviews for What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Movies Like What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
- Jane Hudson: You don't think I remember anything, do you? There are a whole lot of things I remember. And you never paid for this house. Baby Jane Hudson made the money that paid for this house, that's who!
- Blanche Hudson: Yes, she's emotionally disturbed. She's unbalanced!
- Edwin Flagg: [shocked at some obscenities Jane has scrawled] I can't remember the last time I saw words like that written down!
- Jane Hudson: I don't want to talk about it! Everytime I think about something nice, you remind me of bad things. I only want to talk about the nice things.
- Jane Hudson: Blanche, you aren't ever gonna sell this house... and you aren't ever gonna leave it... either.
- Jane Hudson: It's just that nosy Mrs. Bates going on about your picture last night.
- Blanche Hudson: Oh, really, did she like it?
- Jane Hudson: [imitating Blanche's voice] Oh, really, did she like it?... She liked it!
Discuss What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? on our Movie forum!
Latest News on What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
August 28, 2012:Michael Fassbender in Talks for Jane Got a Gun
He could join Natalie Portman in the upcoming Western.
July 12, 2012:Walter Hill Wonders What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
He intends to find out via remake.
October 28, 2011:Five Favorite Films with Abigail Breslin
Since her acting debut in Signs (at age six) and Oscar nomination for Little Miss Sunshine (at age...