What About Bob? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What About Bob? Reviews

February 2, 2016
I have watched this movie at least 50 times, and somehow it gets funnier with each watch, as I pick up on different things each time! Eccentric, unique, bizarre, brilliant! Acting is incredible. HILARIOUS!
½ December 16, 2015
I'm on vacation.

A famous psychiatrist who has received national recognition for a book he wrote has taken on a new, unique patient, Bob that is hesitant to travel in cars, buses, planes, boats, etc. When the psychiatrist decides to take a vacation, Bob suffers some anxiety due to the separation and tracks the psychiatrist down. Meanwhile, the family of the psychiatrist is getting sick of the rigid nature of the doctor. Despite the psychiatrist's reservations, Bob joining the vacation may be what's best for both of them.

"Maybe it's time for Bob to sing his way home."

Frank Oz, director of The Dark Crystal, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Little Shop of Horrors, Housesitter, Bowfinger, The Score, Stepford Wives, and Death at a Funeral, delivers What About Bob. The storyline for this picture is ridiculous but fun in a Scrooged kind of way. The acting is perfect for the content and the cast includes Bill Murray, Richard Dreyfus, Julie Hagerty, Charlie Korsmo, and Kathryn Erbe.

"It feels right because you're here and it feels right because you're leaving."

I watched this a million times on cable growing up (it was always on HBO) and recently came across this on Showtime Anytime and decided to give it a viewing for the first time in a long time. Overall, this is a nice addition to the comedy genre. It isn't perfect or an all time classic that needs to be in your DVD collection, but it is worth an occasional viewing and does have some repeat watching value.

"I feel good. I feel great. I feel wonderful."

Grade: C+/B-
December 9, 2015
good movie. It had me laughing, especially the part when he first meets the doctor and fakes touretts.
December 5, 2015
Great comedy, very funny and likable throughout. An old favorite.
August 19, 2013
This unquestionably dark but justifiably hilarious butting of heads owes its great success to the committedly silly performances of Murray and Dreyfus. Bob is obviously the one we're rooting for, but what's so interesting is that Leo is totally right about Bob's mental state and his own weariness of him. We can easily place ourselves in Leo's unraveling sanity as Bob inexplicably endears himself to everyone around him, as we uncontrollably laugh all the while to the nut house.
½ November 15, 2015
A predictable comedy of a familiar premise made well thanks to Bill Murray and the ensemble.
½ November 6, 2015
Still hilarious in 2015! Dreyfuss and Murray are superb!
October 24, 2015
Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss are entertaining to watch in this melodramatic comedy.
June 12, 2007
This is such a funny movie! The dinner scene and the morning scene are the funniest. Definately Bill Murray's best movie.
August 29, 2015
I very much liked what about bob bill murrays performance as a hypochondriac who drives his psychiatrist nuts who is played by Richard dreyfuss who is on vacation with his family its a riot both murrary and dreyfuss steal this movie
½ August 9, 2015
A girfriend took me to see this at the Director's Guild theater. She liked it. I did not.
June 7, 2015
There's a nice parodic portrayal of a few thriller conventions in this utter goofball comedy powered by Murray's experienced comedic performance bringing in more laughs than Dreyfus at a not-a-lot amount like you'd expect when starting to watch an unseen comedy. Furthermore on Murray, he was like an infection to the film's character developments with a comedic purpose that'd managed to be somewhat successful. But at the process, Dreyfus was infected the most when his character went mad and seen as a sad, desperate one, even though he'd managed some funny stuff on the way prior. The film's duo's dynamics stirred up the comic while on a familiar vacation with some nice mix of parodic portrayals and kept its footing when being infected so this goofball comedy can maintain its okay status. (B-)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ June 23, 2007
Lots of funny moments.
May 16, 2015
I'm not a massive fan of US comedy films in general but thankfully this doesn't disappoint. The two leads are great, the supporting cast is decent and there are plenty of laughs with the well written script. It also looks good and the score is decent.
May 13, 2015
79% on my Tomatometer.
½ July 7, 2008
Cute and funny movie. Not the most accurate depiction of mental illness but Bill Murray is amusing and yet I really wanted to smack everyone for being so in love with him when he was obviously overstepping his boundaries lol
½ August 18, 2014
unfunny mean-spirited and horrible
½ February 4, 2015
2015-02-04 have to disagree with the blurb - it's pretty ridiculous.