• R, 1 hr. 40 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

What Doesn't Kill You Reviews

Cynthia S

May 23, 2011
Interesting, and worth while, crime drama about small time thieves in Boston. This is well made, and the acting is very good. A little slow at times, but the overall story is decent. Bottom line: the moral of this story is - crime does not pay.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 25, 2009
Cast: Mark Ruffalo, Ethan Hawke, Amanda Peet, Will Lyman, Brian Goodman, Donnie Wahlberg, Angela Featherstone, Edward Lynch, Bates Wilder

Director: Brian Goodman

Summary: Partners in crime Paulie (Ethan Hawke) and Brian (Mark Ruffalo) find themselves at odds after years of pulling dangerous jobs, surviving turf wars and evading a determined detective (Donnie Wahlberg) in this gritty crime drama set in South Boston. The childhood buddies have gone through the wringer together, but when Brian's relationship with his wife (Amanda Peet) begins to fall apart, their loyal friendship is tested.

My Thoughts: "It's a true story that is a bit of a gangster film, but more of a film based on friendship, and a father trying to make the right choices for his family. I really enjoyed Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawke together on screen. They were so good together. Very believable as long time besties. I also enjoyed Amanda Peet in this as well. Her screen time with Mark Ruffalo was very emotional and raw. She gave a great performance. It's not a great crime story, but the character's and the performances make up were the story lacks. A good watch on a slow moving night."
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 16, 2010
What doesn't Kill is the type of film that has been done many times before, and therefore not that original. However, I found the film to be quite entertaining. I always like films like this, even if What Doesn't Kill you is not that original, it's still pretty good. The reason that the film succeeds in my book is because of the superb acting
by Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawk. Both are great actors and elevate the somwhat overused story to a watchable film. What Doesn't Kill You is based on the life of first time director Brian Goodman's life of crime, and his struggle to go straight. Even though we've seen this type of film before, it feels totally different and at times original. Obviously the film is not for everyone and you may be disappointed. The fact that it's based on a true story is what seperates this from other films dealing with same subject matter. Though the script lacks originality and good structure, and the film relies almost on cliches, the cast involved makes you forget those flaws. I was so engaged by all the actors that I forgot about it's flaws. What Doesn't Kill You may rely on overused material, but it's still a good story nonetheless. I don't understand why this film has gotten so many bad reviews, It definitely isn't the worst film that I've seen. However, this film can only appeal to a certain type of audience. Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawk make this film better than it really is. A terrific little film, and one that doesn't deserve all the flack that it received. Theres so many films out there that use the same style of plot, and some of them get Critical acclaim (Avatar copied Dances With Wolves and Fern Gulley) People could have said that Avatar was overusing cliches, but no. What Doesn't Kill You is a good film and its far better than what most people have said about it.
Tim S

January 27, 2010
The sad thing about this movie is the actors involved are extremely talented and do their jobs well. Ruffalo, Hawke, and Amanda Peet work damn hard at trying to make this bile believable. Why the hell does every ex-gangster who knows how Microsoft Word works get either a book or a movie made out of their life? We get it, you had a rough childhood which led to a life of crime and as much as working is "standing in mud" those pesky balls of yours don't want to have to settle down. It's like if Henry Hill got to make Goodfellas. This guy thinks he should be honored for not going around and stealing shit that doesn't belong to him....awesome. Why does this movie keep getting made? And why do I have to watch all these scenes that look like the worst takes just slapped together. I wonder if independent now means that they didn't load a tripod onto the truck. Another example of how the Wahlberg Brothers are destroying entertainment. If it isn't a half hour watching how rich Mark is, now Donnie is writing screenplays. And he got Ruffalo and Hawke! FUCK OFF!
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

December 25, 2009
Two incredibly gifted actors in Ethan Hawke and Mark Ruffalo - maybe the two most underrated in films today - are wasted beyond belief as two friends who grow up together as close as brothers, but are also lifelong criminals. It follows them as they both go to prison for stealing and hawking stolen televisions and serve their time. When they get out - at different times - Brian seems to have changed as he tries to get his family back and kick an alcohol addiction while Paulie hasn't really changed at all. The story means well, but the film just drags on and never gets going until it's over. But...the music's really good. I can say that much about it. Other than that, nothing special. Look for co-writer Donnie Wahlberg in this as well.
arashxak
arashxak

July 28, 2009
Poor cliche approach to a cliche subject matter
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 29, 2009
The movie had some good decent actors with Ethan and Mark but the story itself in this film wasn't much about anything that really catch my attention that much.

Based on events from director Brian Goodman's life, "What Doesn't Kill You" stars Mark Ruffalo (Brian) and Ethan Hawke (Paulie) as friends who grew up like brothers on the gritty streets of south Boston. They do whatever it takes to survive, living by the code of their dog-eat-dog neighborhood. Petty crimes and misdemeanors grow into more serious offenses and eventually, they fall under sway to organized crime boss Pat Kelly (played by Goodman). As Brian becomes increasingly lost in a haze of drugs and 'jobs,' even the love he has for his wife (Amanda Peet) and his children does not seem like it will be enough to redeem him. Meanwhile, Paulie plans "one last heist" but knows it will take both of them to pull it off. How can they escape the only life they know?
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

April 21, 2010
In "What Doesn't Kill You," Brian(Mark Ruffalo) and Paul(Ethan Hawke) are two small time thieves who have to give a percentage of their earnings to the local mob in South Boston. They are frustrated at the lack of promotion, especially with Brian supporting his wife Stacy(Amanda Peet) and two sons. An opportunity arises when Pat Kelly(Brian Goodman, who also directed and co-wrote), the boss, is sent up the river on an old murder charge. So, Paul and Brian go freelance, dreaming of even taking down an armored car someday...

Based on a true story, "What Doesn't Kill You" is a kitchen sink drama about two men who try to steal everything but the kitchen sink, including your hearts, that is raised above the routine by the lived-in performances from Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawke. Alas, the same cannot be said for Amanda Peet. The movie has a preachy tone when it comes to exploring the choices we make in life but it is refreshing that the out of control friend is the family man this time around. And you know times are tough when even the criminal element has a hard time making ends meet.
Todd S

December 20, 2008
This was a pretty intense movie, but it felt as though as I watching it in fast forward. What Doesn't Kill You is the story of two brothers, who grow up in poverty and whom turned to organized crime to survive. For fifteen years, they did what they were told, but with the boss on his way to prison, they decide to go off on their own. Admittedly, it's a tremendous story that follows the paths of these brothers over the course of the next few years, the problem was that in this movie, years translate into about 10 minute intervals. Instead of giving us a complete and accurate portrayal, the director decided to cut the story into small fragments, usually no longer than a minute or two. Something is said, something happens, and then were on to another something, when? where? who knows!? The movie moved so fast and was so choppy, that it left my head spinning. Despite the confusion, it was pretty entertaining and Mark Ruffalo gives an unbelievable performance. Here's another example of a guy I've seen around, never thought much of, who randomly shows up in a B-movie and just makes the whole film worth watching. If you're able to keep up, and this movie doesn't confuse you into an absolute stupor, it's not bad. The story is solid, the cast is good, and it has it's moments, but again only if you can get passed the ridiculous pace the director has decided to set for us.
SC007
SC007

July 10, 2011
Mark Ruffalo, Ethan Hawke, Amanda Peet, and Donnie Wahlberg's performances in this film make the film worth seeing. Ruffalo and Hawke remind me here of a young DeNiro and Keitel. The film kind of reminds me of the film Mean Streets. I didn't like how the film opened. I didn't like the style or structure of the film. Still the film is worth seeing especially cause of the performances of Ruffalo and Hawke.
Fascade F

November 24, 2009
Loved it...totally loved it... I was absorbed by the way these guys that were partners from the start remained loyal to the very end...of the movie! LOL! One had a family...one had nothing to lose....wooooooooooo! See it...a very gritty slo moving yet hard knuckled drama with lots of surprises. See it!
Mike T

December 23, 2008
This is normally the type of film that I enjoy, but I just couldn't get past this one's flaws. Brian Goodman's dim-witted direction gives the film a haphazard, borderline unprofessional aura that shines through in almost every scene. It doesn't help that the cliche-infested screenplay he's working with lacks cohesive structure and plausible character motivations. Playing the lead role, Mark Ruffalo buckles under the weight of a doomed project. He's proven himself to be a very talented actor, but his performance feels contrived and self-conscious in every other scene. I'm a huge fan of Ethan Hawke, so I loved seeing him playing a role unlike anything he's ever done. He does a brilliant job in this, and it's a shame that his performance is lost in such a sub-par picture. The remainder of the cast is unanimously bland or unconvincing. A real disappointment.
Tecnoandre
Tecnoandre

July 24, 2011
Based on the true life story of the film's director Brian Goodman, detailing his own exploits involved with South Boston's Irish Mob.Starring Ethan Hawke and Mark Ruffalo.A good and realistic movie.
ken j

March 7, 2009
Two lifelong friends from Boston Brian and Paulie are as close as two friends can be almost like brothers except these two brothers arent known for working hard and making a honest living there both products of the neighborhood they grew up in and start off small resorting to petty theft type crimes of course as they years go on they fall under the thumb of local crime boss Pat Kelly doing the odd job for him but even that isnt enough now Paulie plans one last heist that he cant do without his lifelong friend but will his friend decide to go this time or choose to go straight and live out his days with his wife and children. Based on a True Story and also Starring Ethan Hawke and Mark Ruffalo this isnt by any means a great movie but its a nice little crime drama worth checking out of anyone into these kinda movies.
iLeo
iLeo

December 6, 2008
Interesting movie that centralizes around the lives of a pair of best friends, Paulie and Brian. From adolescence, the two have been involved in various adventures of crimes. Brian has a family, but cannot let go of the dangerous life. Paulie is alone, and wants to move onto bigger and better things. Mark Ruffalo, Ethan Hawke, and Amanda Peet stars. Worth seeing!
Mr. C

June 15, 2009
Its utter junk.
The story has been said 100 times before by 100 better writers, directors & casts.
Guys growing up on the wrong side, take the wrong path, pay the price & 1 works to try & get right, while the other continues his unscrupulous ways, ad nauseum.
Its terribly slow, terribly pointless & at times a bit random.
Theres not even any intense action scenes to keep you from drifting away.
Outside of one scene where the pair beat down a convicted child rapist in jail, theres never a point where you feel anything for the characters. You dont feel sorry for them, you dont really ever feel hate for them. You just blankly watch them for about 100 mins & regret having done it in the end.
May 13, 2012
Good & real about true story of illegal drugs addiction & criminal lifestyles & their impact on their families. The actors involved are extremely talented and do their jobs well.
jkhappyfello
May 26, 2011
pretty good true story took awhile for it to actually get to a story. Pretty Slow but all together a good movie(:
ristrawn
March 6, 2010
good & real about true story of illegal drugs addiction & criminal lifestyles & their impact on their families... Mark Ruffalo & Ethan Hawke were fantastic...
markflix
January 27, 2010
Everything is good about this film except the point of it all....there isn't one, not to say it's a bad film. The downward spiral of 2 hoodlums just isn't compelling theater.