What Dreams May Come Reviews

March 29, 2007
Hadnt watched this in a while but i pulled out the DVD and last night I was just amazed again. Soulmates is an incredible concept to me right now and this movie just rocks on so many levels to me.
½ February 28, 2013
Chris Nielsen: A whole human life is just a heartbeat here in Heaven. Then we'll all be together forever.

"After life there is more. The end is just the beginning."

I'm very conflicted on my feelings with What Dreams May Come. It's a bizarre movie, that tries to tug at the heartstrings for just about the whole runtime. As far as the heartstrings, it failed, at least with me. I loved the idea though, and the visuals are enough to make this worth a watch. Throughout the whole film, I found myself wondering if I liked what I was seeing or not. I couldn't decide, and then the end came, and I said, "That's fucking stupid." The ending threw me off a little bit, but I still can't really gather my feelings on this one. Did I like it? Did I hate it? I don't know. I guess it's one of those tweeners.

Chris and his wife Annie lose their two children in a car crash. Four years later Chris is also killed in a car crash, as he is trying to help someone. He goes to heaven, where a spiritual guide shows him the ropes. Then Annie kills herself, and winds up in hell. In order to save his wife, Chris goes on a journey to hell in order to bring her back. The story is fascinating, but I can't help, but feel like it could have been executed so much better.

I'm also in-between on Robin Williams in this movie. His performance is far from his best, but also far from his worst. At moments, I enjoyed what he was doing, and at others, I was cringing. Cuba Gooding Jr. and Max Von Sydow are really good in their roles though and without them, I don't think I'd be in-between on this film; I probably would have hated it.

Is it worth a watch? Yes it is. It's extremely interesting and the representations of heaven and hell are astounding. The film has beautiful visuals that really make the movie. I just wish it was executed better from a writing stand point and from a directing stand point. In the end though, you can do much worse, and should at least give it a shot. Whether you like it in the end or not, the visuals more than make up for it.
½ May 24, 2013
A sumptuous, delicious reverie on life, death and relationships. Strong dramatic acting by Robin Williams and stunning visuals for the time. A truly beautiful and imaginative film.
November 29, 2011
"What Dreams May Come" truly conveys a very dreamy and colorful world through its spectacular cinematography. The story gets you involved with the protagonist, but I couldn't help but find that it got confused in its vision. Too many differing views of "paradise" made "What Dreams May Come" a conflicting movie of itself. Also, 3rd act of the movie starts to fall apart with cheesy settings, redundancy, and a boring turn in terms of storytelling. Not only that, "What Dreams May Come" tries too hard to be emotional... some may say rightfully so because of the traumatic events that occurs in this movie, but the entire package tries way too hard to accentuate the drama. Still, it was entertaining; I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
October 23, 2011
Very visually interesting and whilst the actors did a good job I wasn't 100% sure on the story. I liked it but it's one of those films where it makes you so sad/upset that you really don't want to see it ever again. It deals with difficult issues such as death and suicide but it also expects every spectator to hold the same thoughts on life, death and heaven/hell. I don't totally agree with what they showed but as a film it was good enough to watch but not something I'd recommend!
December 7, 2010
Overall, this is a good film. It is unique, odd film that really makes you think. Beautiful cinematography!
½ June 3, 2011
A pediatrician dies and goes to paradise, but he's willing to throw away an eternity of bliss to find his wife, who's trapped in a far less pleasant afterlife. Watch for the amazing special effects which recreate some classic paintings by Hieronymus Bosch and others---especially for the amazing scenes of Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. walking around in what literally looks like a painting (pastel oils even squish under Williams' feet)---and not for the poorly paced, sappy romantic plot.
½ April 23, 2008
how many metaphysical romances do you run into? richard matheson, former twilight zone writer, muses romantically about what possibly could happen if one didn't exactly get it together in this vale of tears. thankfully von sydow yet again brings a sense of reality before yer stomach dies of strained sentimentality. set design (mimicking the style of Vincent van Gogh) to die for.
May 21, 2011
When I first saw this movie I was at the age of 9 or 10 .I remember it clearly ,even though it has been a long time and I only watched it once ,because it was really touching .Things have changed in my life and so did I, that means if I ever try to watch it again this will not make me feel as it did the very first time because I see things differently now .So if you like colorful fairytales or if you believe in god or after life, watch it ,otherwise skip it.
February 8, 2008
A fantasy drama starring Robin Williams as a dead man who journeys to the depths of Hell to be reunited with his wife (Annabella Sciorra). Cuba Gooding Jr assists him on the spiritual quest......
probably wont leave a dry eye in the house this one,its pretty emotional and yes it does touch the heart! the visual effects were good!
½ July 29, 2010
a wierd and dark but touching movie. B
½ January 11, 2010
The visuals are absolutely stunning and beautiful, and the story is so moving that it doesn't get compromised by its rather silly conclusion.
October 7, 2007
While I completely disagree with this movie from a religious standpoint, its astonishingly beautiful to watch, and although the story may be at times heavy-handed, the imagination on the secular view of Heaven and Hell is indeed intriguing. There are some movies in which the scenery wins you over and the story doesn't need to be that enticing, just because what you are watching is beautiful. This film almost accomplishes this, but a slight over length as well as an almost overbearingly depressing mood weigh it down to simply "OK" territory. I remember hating this movie when I first saw it, but now I think it's merely just pretty good. Definitely not for all tastes, though - Just don't think it's taking a pretentious view of "This is what Heaven is really like!", instead approach it as merely a fantasy on display.
July 19, 2007
Beautiful Movie every tiny bit of it.
September 29, 2007
The story is good as its different and the visual effects are brilliant and i like the way they interpreted their own heaven and hell, but i think this is a film that has to appeal to you as it doesnt have any action or laughters and realy is a moving drama but i didnt find it very moving and got a tad boring but this is just my opinion!
its a about a man who loses his kids in a car crash and 4yrs later he dies in a collision as well, his wife has taken too much and kills hersself and williams wants to see her again so he tracks her down in hell to try and bring her out of his misery!
i didnt like it but it is worth a watch espicially if you like moving dramas
January 22, 2007
Truly beautiful film to behold. A living work of art.
July 30, 2007
My son is black. Weird.
April 17, 2007
Why this movie first sailed me by without notice (or the cinemas in general for that matter) is and will always be a great mystery. But I'm sure glad I found it, because this was one of the best movie experiences I've ever had.

Not only was it visually breathtaking, but it had heart and soul and its idea of heaven is so much like my own that it gave me goosebumps several times. No movie has ever come so close to my own spiritual beliefs, especially as it doesn't work in favor of any particular religion. There is a heaven and a hell, and the subject of reincarnation, but it leaves a lot of things open for interpretation and it illustrates what I think is a more believable version of everything. Therefore, I really loved it, despite the fact that it could have used some polishing in its script and story. Some scenes also felt overly melodramatic, but thankfully it never got to the point of cheesyness.

Anyway, despite these minor flaws, this movie is one I will remember for a long time to come. And if heaven is half as amazing as it was here, we should all have something to look forward to.

But of course, the road to heaven begins with what we do right here on Earth *wink*
½ February 7, 2007
Beauty effects in the visions of heaven look like the arts - breathtaking! At the final scene when Robin Williams and Annabella Sciorra reunited together in the heaven and also with their children that made me cry a bit. Thumbs up!
July 5, 2007
A seemingly long movie with Robin Williams in a strange afterlife world. It's all dreamy, and looks like his wife's painting. There's a long cold lonely journey by boat to find Robin William's wife, which seemed to take forever. It's a cold and empty movie which looks great.