What Is It? Reviews

September 7, 2010
Intriguing, hilarious, different, and relevant, What is it? is a film that provokes that, and other questions.
½ May 14, 2014
Crispin Glover was walking on the ground when he made this movie. He didn't make a sound, he in fact turned around and saw a clown.
February 24, 2012
I have seen "What Is It?" and I find it to be a trip down everyone's inner self that they refuse to explore.. I want to see it again! -Dawn
February 19, 2012
It's definitely best to watch this at one of Crispin's live shows so that he is there to explain his intent in making the film. That aspect itself, gives the film an extra star, because my initial reaction was just 1-star. I really didn't like it, and/because I really didn't get it. Maybe I was just too tired and need to give it another chance when I'm more alert; however, whatever the case may be, I appreciate and respect his intent.
May 15, 2011
Amazing! Saw this followed by a Q & A with Crispin.
½ December 15, 2010
Beautifully filmed movie that largely takes place in the psyche of a young man with Down's Syndrome as he grapples with his libido and internalized racism. Glover not only directs, but plays a sort of tyrannical id figure (who seems to view himself as sort of "pure" or "innocent", as evidenced by his demand to be called Shirley Temple). This films touches on quite a few taboos--the least of which is the notion that people with special needs are somehow beyond the mental poison that our culture seeps into all of us, to some degree. (Glover addressed this point when speaking at the screening on his choice to use a cast mostly of actors with Down's Syndrome). Definitely harsh in places--I'd never heard Johnny Rebel before and it turned my stomach once I did, and really, the salt on snails could have been done with CGI. However, I hope he screens this in NYC again or puts it on DVD, because it feels like the kind of film where more could be taken away through repeated viewings.
½ August 10, 2010
(Watched Fri 27 Jun 2008)
July 13, 2010
This amounts to an amalgam of the concepts underlying Even Dwarfs Started Small or Tod Browning's Freaks and the aesthetics of Holy Mountain. It's kind of conceptual copy and paste in that regard but I'd rather have the above films and artists copied than not. In an era where the Surrealist film is all but dead (save for a small collection of auteurs represented by more well known film makers like Guy Maddin and Matthew Barney), it's great to see something traumatic, funny, and unrestrained.

It does have one of my favorite lines in a film ever; "Five-hundred more injections and I shall become an invertebrate."
April 25, 2008
No really what was that?
November 6, 2009
To be fair, it could be a single wide shot of a snail yelling for 72 minutes and I'd still give it 5 stars. Crispin Glover means your argument is void. It's amazing.
½ June 14, 2009
WOW! Must be seen by all. This will bend your mind! Go see it when it is on tour near you. Nude Nazi Shirley Temple w/ a riding crop. Brutal imagery in this flick. The snails screaming was seriously unnerving. Only film I am aware of that uses a Johnny Rebel song & a mostly Down's Syndrome cast. That takes a pair of stones!
½ January 10, 2009
Twisted, sick, scary, disturbing, confusing. What else would you want in a film?
November 17, 2008
Crispin Glover's finest
November 18, 2007
Crispin Glover is ALWAYS cool.
½ July 5, 2007
Crispin has crafted a surreal miniature masterpiece.
June 19, 2007
Wow! What is it? I don't know, but that was an incredable movie.
½ June 24, 2007
Down Syndrome Handies?

I'm Listening.
June 24, 2007
down syndrom handies... sorry not interested...