63% Hercules Jul 25

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

What to Expect When You're Expecting Reviews

Nicki M

March 2, 2012
Can't believe I actually sat through this. It was on my "no way" list, but I do like some of the cast, so decided to watch it on TV. Definitely wouldn't have paid money to see it.
Having said that, not as bad as I expected, (but believe me, my expectations were very low, so that's not actually saying a lot).
As the title suggests, it's all about pregnancy, so if you're not obsessed with that and babies, probably not the movie for you either.
The cast are good, and that's probably what saves this. I found the young one night stand storyline totally unbelievable, the others not so bad, but obviously the topic bores me to death and I can't relate to these women. I can imagine mums would probably love this and have a good laugh. I don't think anyone else would!
Overall if you like the cast, it's *maybe* okay for a free watch on TV if you've nothing else to watch.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

February 19, 2012
What to Expect When You're Expecting was just OK for me. It had a couple actors I liked in it, but not many. I only liked a couple of the story-lines. I could have done without Cameron and MJM's story completely. I liked Holly's story, but my favorite was Chace and Anna's story the most. They were funny, flirty, and their scenes were the most realistic besides Holly's. It had it's funny moments just not enough. I expected more laughs and better dialogue. Dennis Quaid was really funny and was fun to watch act like a complete ass of a father. It's not something I would watch again.
Spencer S

August 25, 2011
The book "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" is the basis for this film. This book is the closest thing in inspiration to the board game films that have been piping into theaters lately. I understand that this has a little more meat to its bones, being about the extremes of having your first child, but the film itself does not explore pregnancy. Instead it deals with the different stages and eventual scourges of family life. The stories of several women and their partners intertwine to create a narrative about conception, family, adoption, and the merits of pregnancy, all the while failing to be entertaining. Instead of being about what to actually expect when you're expecting, the film focuses on trying to interweave all these flawed narratives in order to have a long enough running time, which turns out to be far too long for a film of this type. Time is allocated for some couples more than others, and that miscalculation makes it so we end up watching scenes of a very pregnant Elizabeth Banks gross us out time and again. Actually, I don't want time to develop any of these sub-plots. There are several great performances, especially from Jennifer Lopez and Anna Kendrick, but they are playing the same characters they have already visited in "Pitch Perfect" and "The Back-up Plan." I did enjoy these performances most, probably because they weren't following the formula of baby makes three. One is about adoption and the other follows a miscarriage, and both still dealt with what you expect from pregnancy. Cameron Diaz gives a forgettable and sinister performance, Matthew Morrison looks half asleep, Chris Rock is so out of place that he draws unwanted attention to himself, and Brooklyn Decker and Chace Crawford could have been out of the picture altogether and nothing would have been missing. It's just a misguided, thoughtless cop-out, and though I know some people found some of these storylines truly heartwarming and sweet, I just found myself wondering why anyone could connect to cardboard cutouts instead of characters.
Anthony L

November 1, 2012
Beyond awful but a brilliant advert for contraception - not because the kids were horrible but because some people just don't deserve children and shouldn't reproduce. Calling a Child a Spaz is not nice. The careers of Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez and Chris Rock continue of that downward slope but in this instance I say serves them right.
Cynthia S

October 13, 2012
I tend to get leery when I see movies that are full of well known actors. That, to me, is a ploy to somehow save a lame script..and it rarely works. This is another one of those movies. Some humorous moments, but not many. Some romance, but not much. Not a bad movie, just not memorable.
Nani V

October 1, 2012
I made my bf watch this with me and he wasn't all into it, but said it was okay. I thought it was alright, your typical romantic comedy which involves a group of people and their individual lives relating to pregnancy. You see each couple dealing with their own issues and some parts were pretty funny though, (Dennis Quad and his wife). Lol
Everett J

September 2, 2012
"What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a movie geared towards couples who have/want/or expecting kids. Follows four couples who are expecting, and one who is adopting. There are a few real funny scenes, mostly involving a group of dads who walk in the park. But, a few funny scenes, strung together don't always make a good movie. The cast is big with Cameron Diaz, Chris Rock, Jennifer Lopez, Elizabeth Banks, Dennis Quaid among others. The movie runs too long at nearly two hours, and really there is so much filler, that you almost lose interest. It's still a decent watch if you have kids, want kids, or know someone who is expecting. This is one where the guys will be dosing off, and the women will be laughing, getting a lot of the situations the women go through. Not saying guys will not like this movie, but it's definitely a chick flick that has a little for guys, but not enough to hold their interest. Worth a watch? Sure, just know what to expect.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

August 31, 2012
It's too late to pull out now.

Very good movie! I really enjoyed this movie and think it's got an unfair rep. They did cram a lot in there, but I think that was a good thing as it seems to me that it represented a lot of different situations. The movie didn't have a lot of depth, but with such a big ensemble cast what do you expect?

Inspired by the perennial New York Times bestseller of the same name, WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING is a hilarious and heartfelt big screen comedy about five couples whose intertwined lives are turned upside down by the challenges of impending parenthood. Over the moon about starting a family, TV fitness guru Jules and dance show star Evan find that their high-octane celebrity lives don't stand a chance against the surprise demands of pregnancy. Baby-crazy author and advocate Wendy gets a taste of her own militant mommy advice when pregnancy hormones ravage her body; while Wendy's husband, Gary, struggles not to be outdone by his competitive alpha-Dad, who's expecting twins with his much younger trophy wife, Skyler. Photographer Holly is prepared to travel the globe to adopt a child, but her husband Alex isn't so sure, and tries to quiet his panic by attending a "dudes" support group, where new fathers get to tell it like it really is. And rival food truck chefs Rosie and Marco's surprise hook-up results in an unexpected quandary: what to do when your first child comes before your first date? A kaleidoscopic comedy as universal as it is unpredictable, WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING finds humor and uplift in all the unexpected trials and triumphs of welcoming a child into the world.
Liam G

July 12, 2012
Don't ask, as even I don't know why I watched this.
Carlos M

June 30, 2012
An unoriginal romantic comedy that follows five uninteresting couples, some of them quite annoying. Apart from a few funny scenes, the humor is mostly ridiculous and embarrassing, involving gases, urine and vomit - which only shows how witless the producers are.
KJ P

June 10, 2012
"What to Expect When You're Expecting" is the type of movie that should have been terrible, but turned out to be a nice time at the movies. Sure it's cliched at times, but the fact that it follows three different story lines in peoples marriages and child births, without really getting to a point in the film where it gets old, you will find yourself enjoying the witty relationships and dialogue. There are a few edits, and even if it was in the original script, it would still be off-putting. It cuts from an extremely depressing moment, to a scene that tries to make you laugh out loud. For that reason alone, the film felt disjointed. However, the cast is great and I laughed quite a bit. Really, it's a harmless comedy for men and women. It's a great date movie, but that's about it!
Edward B

May 24, 2012
So I looked around the semi-crowded theatre halfway through What to Expect When You're Expecting. It was Tuesday night in the beaches, so cheap movie day!!!! As I looked around, I counted how many guys were dragged into this movie by their significant other, and from this number, I began to think about how many of these guys are in that stage of their relationship where talk of having babies has become one of the more front and centre topics of discussion. Once the credits rolled, I knew that even if those guys weren't having this discussion before, they damn sure will be now on the drive home.
I can't imagine too many teens running to the multiplexes to see this one. This is solely for the ladies in their late twenties to early forties who are either thinking of becoming mothers or already are ones and are using this movie as a way of looking back on their pregnancy days to laugh about them. So clearly I was not the target audience here, and I don't think I have the authority to accurately critique such a film. But here I go anyway.
What to Expect When You're Expecting seems to be a product from all the pregnancy books and manuals out there (it's based on one such book). The writers and makeup artists have definitely done their research, not only in accurately depicting the pregnancy bulge, the raging hormones, and the desire for both women and men to want children, but they've created a whole ensemble cast of characters that are all going through different kinds of personal trials. We have the teens who accidentally get pregnant, we have the groups of fathers who are charged with taking care of the kids, we have the infertile 30 something who is looking to adopt, and we have different women experiencing different kinds of pregnancy pains. Within all that, we are supposed to laugh at the jokes, the sometimes witty lines, ooo and aww at the cute moments, and then the babies are born. Lesson to learn: pregnancy is hell but it's all worth it once the baby is born.
This movie didn't offend me. It wasn't stupid, and some of the jokes were actually quite funny. But I think the over-saturation of characters and the "aw gush" ending still couldn't make me connect with it. Maybe it's because this movie wasn't made for me. But then I remember how much I loved Juno and Knocked Up and how much more satisfying those movies were....
Dannielle A

September 24, 2012
Laugh out loud hilarious! Some great feel-good moments, too.
SC007
SC007

June 14, 2012
The film was so so. It could have been so much better. The film reminded me of the movie, He's Just Not That Into You. One big problem with the film is the tone of the movie. The tone of the movie is off. There isn't a good balance between the comedy and drama in the film. I didn't like the big finale of all the couple giving birth at the same hospital at the same time. That reminded me of the big finale of Nine Months and that was much better and funnier than this finale.

Another problem I had with the film was the casting. A lot of the actors in my opinion were miscast. I feel like I have seen Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, and Elizabeth Banks play these types of characters before in other films and better in those than here. On a positive, the dude group scenes are hilarious. They steal the film. I would rather see a film devoted to the dudes group.
m h

April 3, 2013
Wasn't honestly as bad as I expected it to be. There were some parts that I thought were really cheesy, but overall I thought it was funny and the characters were likable and relate-able. I also liked that all the stories were interconnected. I thought it made it flow better.

If you're just looking for a fun, light breezy movie to watch on a rainy day then this perfect.
Jason C

June 5, 2012
What To Expect When You're Expecting has a massive cast. There are a lot of stories going on in one movie. There have been a few like this, and they're all somewhat effective, but they keep the audience at a bit of a distance from the characters. What To Expect is no exception.

Even with such a strong cast, Elizabeth Banks and Brooklyn Decker give standout performances. The one I really didn't like seeing in What To Expect was Anna Kendrick. She's a very good young actress, but this movie ties her hands. She isn't effective at all. The rest of the actors are adequate for this sort of movie.

The problem, as I've already stated, is that when anything happens, we're not allowed the time to get into the emotions of the characters. Otherwise I'd say it's pretty well put together. The credit probably goes to editor Michael Berenbaum. Director Kirk Jones has done a couple of very good moives, but there's a lot to put together here.

There's no reason to go to theaters for this kind of movie, but when it's on DVD or a movie channel, it's definitely worth catching.
June 2, 2013
I didn't know "what to expect" when I stumbled on this movie. Lots of stars, lots of pregnancy and kids, some humor and some serious moments. I guess it was ok. I'd never watch it again.
September 14, 2012
Cheese. It's like watching a Steve Martin movie without Steve Martin. Every woman is pregnant and giving birth at the same time. It's crap.
January 23, 2013
The problem is that the source material obviously didn't have a story arc and either did this movie. Sure there are a few funny lines (mostly shown in the preview), but that doesn't justify making a movie.