91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

When Eight Bells Toll Reviews

shakercoola
April 3, 2014
Hopkins cuts a convincing former Navy man turned Mi6 officer. The editing is fast and the pace is very good. The interplay between Hopkins and Morley is amusing. A surprisingly enjoyable spy yarn.
Anthony L

February 11, 2014
When Eight Bells Toll has a great poster, full of promises of action packed...action etc. The truth is that this is more like James Bond on a shoestring. Philip Calvert certainly isn't James Bond anyway, he's more like Bergerac on a rainy day. If you don't understand what I mean by 'like Bergerac on a rainy day' then lucky you, although I did like a bit of John Nettles action on a Tuesday afternoon. He had a great leather jacket if I recall. I digress. When the film is serious it's too serious and when the film is camp and ridiculous it's too camp and ridiculous (if anything ever can be that is). Light relief comes from Robert Morley's pompous 'M' figure and Jack Hakins who plays a Greek art collector Sir Arthur Skouras who is a piano short from being a full blown Liberace tribute act. Everything else is laughable/forgettable/rubbish.
August 21, 2013
A sub standard James Bond esque film but still worth watching for the performances of Hopkins and the wonderful Robert Morley. Hopkins goes in search of missing gold bullion from ships off the coast of scotland.
Carlton M Raines
August 14, 2013
This is a James Bond style thriller Anthony Hopkins is fantastic in this role,Robert Morley is great as his usual self, pompus, and well educated, but made for the big screen, naval secret-service agent who is assigned to find out why millions of pounds of gold bullion are being stolen under the noses of the British government. Some of the boat scenes are fantastic, its a very enjoyable film x
February 22, 2013
When Sean Connery announced that he wasn't going to do any more Bond films, this company thought they'd step up and fill the void. Unfortunately for them, this movie bombed at the box office.

The film is VERY English. Filmed in Scotland, drenched in the dull gray that defines much of the north Atlantic. But the story is compelling and the acting is quite good.

I liked it. There are no bullet bending super-magnets, lasers or gadget laden spy cars here. Calvert relies on his wits and guile to get the job done, and he's never glib about it.
February 17, 2013
Anthony Hopkins is nice all along. The later half of the movie is a bit boring.
February 4, 2013
It really is an alternative Bond, and Hopkins is far better than some critics (eg Leonard Maltin) have you think. The interplay with Morley is especially fun.
July 28, 2012
Effectively a feature-length screen-test for the role of James Bond, Hopkins falls just short of what is required but still does manage to deliver the requisite thrills. Hopkins plays the cold, hard bastard part very well indeed, but his build isn't all that convincing for the action onscreen at times, but it's mostly good. The use of the musical score has to be seen to be believed in how OTT it is. Hopkins and the action set pieces of the film continually lag behind the bombastic score that seems to mock the John Barry jazz scores for 007. The plot itself is diverting enough. There is plenty Scottish atmosphere to enjoy here, including Duart Castle (look for former 007 Sean Connery to reside there in Entrapment). The movie is sure to satisfy those looking for a little British intrigue and a glimpse of what Hopkins as Bond would have looked like. It's a shame really the movie didn't spin off any sequels.
April 22, 2011
I just love this film
June 16, 2012
Ask your standard movie fan which Alistair MacLean adaptation they prefer and the vote would most likely be split between THE GUNS OF NAVARONE and WHERE EAGLES DARE, but, whilst I absolutely love the latter of those two, my personal favorite has been for many years WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL - a spy thriller penned by MacLean in the late 1960s and filmed with Anthony Hopkins in the lead role in 1971.
I saw the movie many years ago on British television and always longed to see it once more.
Watching it again after all these years my passion for this action adventure is unfailing, I consider this to be the best spy thriller that [Bond producers] EON Productions NEVER made.
With a simply superb cast that sees Hopkins joined by Robert Morley (as a rather snobbish boss) and Jack Hawkins (as a suspicious millionaire) this movie is simply brimming over with "Bondian" elements that include beautiful girls (bad and good), thrilling action, underwater battles, building suspense and a roaring soundtrack. It's the most entertaining couple of hours of spy thriller action that I have had the opportunity to enjoy in almost two decades.
Hopkins plays secret agent Calvert who travels to the coast of Scotland disguised as a marine biologist to investigate the disappearance of bullion ships in the Irish Sea. There he encounters a colorful array of characters, both friend and foe before a climactic battle in an underground boathouse.
DrrnHarr
May 1, 2008
July 6, 2007
One of the best of these. I love the action Hopkins. He's very communicative in this.
jaysgrandmother
June 12, 2007
I think I already saw it...