When Did You Last See Your Father? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Did You Last See Your Father? Reviews

January 11, 2015
Any convincing tale of forgiveness and reconciliation scores a four in my books
½ January 12, 2013
Though it's very British core lacks the emotional resonance one might want, the terrific photography, lush score, and a singularly sincere and affecting performance by Broadbent provide a backbone which the screenplay lacks, and leads the audience gently to its ultimately moving conclusion.
*3/4*
June 12, 2012
I have just watched this film and cant get this out of my head. its fascinating, it is about as close to my own fathers experience with his own fathers end as im likely to see. Mostly done with looks and like any normal family nothing is ever actually said in the end haha brilliant!
March 3, 2013
just saw it. too much sexual content = ruined the story line. the story wasn't good. the principles behind the story revealed hurts from infidelity, dishonesty, cheating, secrecy, self-centeredness.
February 6, 2013
This is a film that anyone who has an up and down relationship with their father should see. Some may see it as cliche, but for me it touched a nerve and drew out some incredible emotions in me. I was crying by the end and still thinking about this film the following day. Incredible performances from Broadbent and my favourite Colin Firth.
January 31, 2013
Tremendously realistic portrayal of the relationship of a father and son with totally different values and personalities. The father is dying and the son must now make his peace with the man who has never understood him and who has embarrassed him throughout his life. The acting is superb and the script is smart.
January 25, 2013
Moving portrayal of the flawed relationship of a father and son through their life time together until the father's death, beautifully enacted by Jim Broadbent and Colin Firth with touching emotional restraint and honesty.
December 30, 2012
Directed by Anand Tucker, (Hilary and Jackie (1998), Shopgirl (2005) and Leap Year (2010)), this is based on the 1993 memoir by author Blake Harrison, here adapted by novelist David Nicholls, (Starter for 10 and One Day), it's a good film with two powerful lead performances, and it captures the eras it's set in well too, it's about father and son bonding and the ups and downs it has. It is 1989, and novelist Blake Harrison (Colin Firth) is tending to his father Arthur (Jim Broadbent), who is slowly dying of cancer. Blake remembers the life he has had with his father, when Blake told his father that he wanted to be a writer, Arthur never supported it, as he was a rural general practitioner in rural Yorkshire, an he was hoping Blake was going to follow him into that profession too. Arthur has a tendency for embarrassing Blake at the worst possible opportunity, and hampering his chances with girls, both Arthur was also able to bond with Blake when the time was right, and those times were incredible. It's a very good film, it comes across like a non-fantastical version of Big Fish (2003), but it's got a good supporting cast including Juliet Stevenson, Gina McKee, Sarah Lancashire and Carey Mulligan. Firth makes a good, frustrated Blake Morrison, who is simultaneously infuriated by his father and he also loves and respects him. Broadbent is brilliant, and somehow manages to steal the film from everyone else.
November 16, 2012
Colin Firth is one of my favorite actors. I have to see this.
October 13, 2012
A touching, fascinating and neatly-crafted look into the relationship between a father and son in different eras, And When Did You Last See Your Father represents itself as a film that proves that Colin Firth is a very good actor when not given a rom-com script, but also delivers itself as an enjoyable coming-of-age drama which succeeds in giving a fascinating insight into the father and son characters that the film revolves around, largely thanks to the performances of both Firth and Jim Broadbent.
October 6, 2012
A great story of a man coming to terms with his relationship with his father. Really enjoyed the cinematography and it was very well acted. The film can be slow paced at times but still entertaining.
June 24, 2012
the eternal conflict with the parents, in this case with a father. I canīt recommend it
June 12, 2012
Fine and fairly emotionally resonant. Nothing terribly memorable, but enjoyable for what it is.
February 26, 2008
Another solid British film with some excellent acting but this one lacks the quality of plot that we've become accustomed to in recent years. A decent enough story but a little uneventful for my liking. The ending is very good, however, so this is one of the better 6/10's.
January 25, 2012
when did you last see your father
December 31, 2009
I enjoyed the parts that took place in present time. The teenager growing pains were for the most part annoying. Also, I didn't really feel the impact of the father's death. The words were there, but I felt like I was just not invested enough in this family's story to care that this particular person is gone and that the family is grieving.
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Luciana.
BEACHBUNNI
August 25, 2011
This is the true story of a son growing up stifled and frustrated by his overbearing opinionated father. Years later, when his father (Arthur Morrison,played by Jim Broadbent) is diagnosed with terminal cancer, the son (Blake played by Colin Firth) revisits his family home and the memories he has battled for years.
½ October 19, 2011
Firth and Broadbent just outstanding!