When Harry Met Sally Reviews

September 30, 2015
Harry: "You realize of course that we could never be friends."
Sally: "Why not?"
June 6, 2007
This is a movie I remember more as bits and pieces than as a cinematic whole, and while that probably affects my favoring the film so highly, it is a movie that remains relevant in one form or another. Rob Reiner and Nora Ephron were in their sweet spots as filmmakers, and Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan were crafting iconic characters in their unique and ultimately endearing fashions. It's tough to recall the movie being great as a single viewing experience, but it's made a lasting impression and that's what matters most.
December 22, 2007
My favorite romantic comedy.

The diner scene deserves its immortality.

Sweet, hilarious and oftentimes serious and deeply moving.
½ September 15, 2015
When Harry Met Sally..., is a film that came out in '89 but yet it feels timeless because it tackles the old age question, can men and women be friends without the sex? Whether or not you agree with the answer that this film gives you, it is executed very well. Bill Crystal and Meg Ryan and both hilarious and share great chemistry. This film shows us that relationships don't always have to be love at first sight and that love can be found in the craziest places!
½ October 27, 2014
The thing that's so special about this movie is how entertained you are when you're watching this couple talk, the writing is superb and Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan were born to play these characters
½ August 12, 2015
I originally purchased this on DVD on 5/1/12 and it sat on my TV stand for over 3 years. Obviously I was in no rush to watch it as I never watched it in the 80's/'90s. I kind of see the appeal, but my question is so you're telling me Billy Crystal is some ladies man and poofy hair Meg Ryan can't find a man? Doesn't make sense. And it reminds me a lot of "About Last Night." Sure, the diner scene is iconic but the rest of the movie is just OK.
August 5, 2015
Sooooooooooo funny! Gotta love it! Meg Ryan at her best!
November 29, 2013
Though I can't give this film a perfect score, I cannot deny that I absolutely adore When Harry Met Sally. It is one of my all-time favorite films, and one of the very important movies that influenced me both as a filmmaker and a writer. Every time I watch it, it makes me smile and laugh and feel good. I love Nora Ephron's insightful script, and the interplay between Crystal and Ryan never gets old. It's somewhat predictable and has some obligatory romcom cliches, but the magnetic chemistry between the leads and Rob Reiner's tender direction compensate those flaws. It is touching, funny, and delightful. When Harry Met Sally is a timeless romcom classic.
½ July 22, 2015
This movie is life changing.
July 21, 2015
Meg Ryan encantadora, Billy Crystal afiadíssimo, roteiro inteligente, direção competente. Um clássico, definidor do gênero.
July 14, 2015
hard to think of Carrie Fisher in anything but Star Wars but I think she played a good part here. Excellent one of the classic films of all time.
June 3, 2015
So much more than a chick flick. This is the story of boy (Billy Crystal) meets girl (Meg Ryan). He makes the argument that men and women can never be "just friends", to which she begs to differ. You get to see how their friendship progresses through the years, and who ultimately ends up being right. According to my wife, this was my biggest blind spot in film. While I may not wholly agree with that sentiment (I (blasphemously) still have yet to see Rocky), I am ecstatic that I took the time to watch this, because this plays to everything I like about the romantic comedy, as well as just comedy in general. This film is like an excellent Woody Allen movie without all of the cynical self-deprecation, which makes it a refreshing breath of fresh air. It truly is uproariously funny, and I know I'm 26 years late, but it has been a long while since I've had such a great time with a comedy. This is directed by Rob Reiner, and I have to say, I don't think he gets enough credit as being the brilliant comedy director that he really is. Between this, The Princess Bride and Spinal Tap, he has made classics that have stood the test of time. The script here is bulletproof, and the chemistry is fiery; even though these two characters are constantly butting heads, you can tell at every single turn that there is something more, brewing just underneath the surface. It's blunt vs. neurotic, and the repartee that these two share makes the movie; there is a quick-witted comeback for every line of dialogue, and When Harry Met Sally fully encapsulates how you can be attracted to somebody who is constantly driving you up the wall. This is the quintessential romance movie, and I can't think of a movie out there that does the romantic comedy better. It raises a ton of great points about relationship, and it forces you to ask yourself the question "can men and women really be just friends?" I believe the answer to this question is no when both parties are single, but it doesn't force any sort of agenda, it allows you to make up your own mind. There are some really good make-up effects here as well, and you can totally buy both of them as college students as well as people in their mid-30's. There's so much about this that works, and it's hard not to emphatically fall in love with it, much like how the characters interact within the film.
May 18, 2015
As far as romantic-comedies go "When Harry met Sally" stands out for combining two types of comedic traditions and also demolishing humorously simple or sophisticated matters when it comes to male and female relationships.
Director Rob Reiner's personal experiences significantly influenced the creation of the movie. The fact that he was suffering from depression and decided to look the funny side of it adds more value to the movie's ideas and messages.
Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan give very incredibly memorable performances and the supporting cast, Bruno Kirby and Carrie Fisher, collaborate perfectly with them.
"When Harry met Sally" is a gem from the end of the 80's that is perfect for viewing during all seasons.
½ May 13, 2015
Impossible to watch this movie without you jump to mind Anie Hall of Woody Allen. Plagiarism? Tribute early? Certainly the film is well done, the soundtrack whose atmosphere still sending us to Allen, is a fine selection of songs from Jazz, the performances make it very Meg Ryan in her innocent role, but the unfriendly Billy Crystal not paracer able to leave his true personality: pedantic.
May 10, 2015
I know I am pretty much alone in my opinion, but this film is simply a mainstream redux of ANNIE HALL without any artistic charm. Cliched and predictable. And, on top of everything else, Meg Ryan is simply too young for the part.
March 28, 2015
Great story and dialogues with lots of memorable scenes.
February 28, 2015
When Harry Met Sally proves that once again rom coms from early days are probably better than they are today. The salad scene that no one would ever forget! And no one can ever copy Meg Ryan' s version right.
½ February 20, 2015
At some point you would wish that they had never met. However, a couple of restaurant scenes makes this one worth an order.
March 30, 2012
I'm not too fond of romance, but this is definitely a romcom I would watch any time.