When in Rome Reviews

August 18, 2011
Critics hate it, and I totally get the things they will rip apart, but even with it's generic flaws...I really enjoyed it! I loved every second of it. Kristen Bell is adorable and Josh Duhamel is really likeable. The supporting characters are played by a perfect mix of odd actors like, Danny DeVito and Jon Heder. I also thought there were some genuine funny moments, which are always welcome in a modern rom-com. Oh...nice cameo from the dude that plays Pedro in Naploeon Dynamite!

One thing that I didn't like however was the pacing. I felt like the two main characters met, then they were instantly in love, and then there was immediate conflict. I will admit that I fell for it, but I think the pacing could have been better. I definitely recommend this one though...I liked it!
½ July 3, 2011
Silly little romantic comedy.
January 27, 2010
Yet another adorable romantic comedy :) Kristen Bell is just too cute & a great actress :) :) :)
½ May 29, 2011
Josh Duhamel is the very definition of non-personality, and Kristen Bell, who can be quite charming and naughty, came off as very one-note. There were a few moments, but mostly pretty awful.
½ March 6, 2011
Not funny, good, or anthing else. Kristen Bell sucks, the splot was bad, and the comedy was the worst. I hated this movie with a great intensity.
½ December 30, 2009
It was better than what I expected. It's a romantic comedy with a twist.

Beth is a hard working career woman whose last relationship says that she puts her work above him so he left her. When he tells her he found another career woman and is willing to stick it out with her and is engaged to her. Beth feels that there is no one for her. And when she goes to Rome to attend her sister's impromptu wedding and after meeting the best man, Nick she's attracted to him but after seeing him with another woman, she gets drunk and goes into the famed Fountain of Love and takes some coins thrown by people looking for love. When she goes back to New York four men start coming onto her. And Nick keeps calling her asking her out. She later learns that what she did--is a no no. It seems legend says that if you take a coins out of the fountain the person who threw it will fall in love with who took the coin. So she has to find a way to break the curse. And she wonders if Nick whom she likes is with her cause he wants to or is he under the spell.
½ January 21, 2010
This was savaged by critics when it came out as the worst kind of contrived nonsense and while it is contrived and silly there are surely worse film around even worse romantic comedies. At least has a pleasant lead actress in Kristen Bell, a handsome and charming leading man and Angelica Huston doing her acidic best in a few brief scenes. As Bell's parents Peggy Lipton looks great but Don Johnson is a frightful sight.
½ August 15, 2010
While this is definitely not my favorite rom-com, I did enjoy it. I thought it was very cute. It had some plot twists and unpredictability which kept me interested.

I wasn't too convinced with the chemistry between Bell and Duhamel, but it was alright. The movie was somewhat humorous- I found myself giggling a few times.

It's a good movie to watch with friends or family for a good time.
February 9, 2010
A bit dull...
½ July 17, 2010
Not the best of the year, but it definitely is cute. The multiple suitors could have been toned down though.
August 1, 2010
The first half of the film is awful and I wanted to shut it off after the first 30 minutes. However, I was able to hold on and I was glad that I did. The first half represents filmmaking at it's worst, while the second half completely saves it and represents filmmaking on an average/good level. This very dumb movie, has heart, but it is shameful when you have to wait 80 minutes for any type of emotion to flow in a 90 minute movie. It would be absolutely horrible if it wasn't straightened out halfway through. Even though it saved itself, doesn't mean that it is a good movie, because it is still pretty bad!
November 14, 2009
I sort of want to rate this higher simply because everyone else has given it such crappy ratings and reviews. Personally, I didn't think it was bad at all. Shallow and obvious? Absolutely! But without naming any names (yes, I'm looking at you The Proposal) it didn't seem like When in Rome was any worse than others of its kind that have been well-recieved. Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel are both goofy and charming; and I have to admit that the most memorable part of the film was Lee Pace's big scene, which lasted all of about a minute. I really think that you can tell that this was aimed at a younger audience (primarily teenagers) Both of our heros are young, gorgeous people, with jobs they love, supportive friends, etc. The one thing they lack? True love! And of course that little problem will be resolved by the end of the film. The storyline itself also has more of a novelty/fantasy ring to it. Plus, there is also the matter that the director felt the need to have 3OH!3 and Katy Perry blaring within the first 90 seconds. Still, for a light comedy, it does everything it should. The time went fast and it made me laugh a bit. Really, I think that is enough of an accomplishment.
July 25, 2009
I was expecting a little more from this movie, that 'When In Rome' wouldn't be just an ordinary romantic comedy... But the truth, it was really ordinary... And the thing that disturbing was the bloopers they made here, I was totally disappointed... But the whole movie was entertains me, especially Kirsten Bell's performance, so average rating is a win-win solution...
September 19, 2009
CAST: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Kate Micucci, Danny Devito, Will Arnett, Dax Shepard, Jon Heder, Alexis Dziena, Anjelica Huston

DIRECTED BY: Mark Steven Johnson

SUMMARY: After fishing out coins from a water fountain in Italy, cynical New Yorker Beth Harper (Kristen Bell) finds herself being wooed by several ardent suitors. As she deals with the attention, Beth tries to figure out whether a charming reporter (Josh Duhamel) really loves her. Danny DeVito, Anjelica Huston, Jon Heder, Dax Shepard and Will Arnett also star in this romantic comedy.

MY THOUGHTS: "It was a bit better then I had thought, but not by much. Enough to give it three stars. It was cheesy, silly, and it kept a smile on my face. I needed a laugh and this movie did it for me. Wasn't the best romance comedy, but it was good enough. Love Kristen Bell, haven't seen Josh Duhamel in much but the 'Transformer' movies, and I thought he did funny well. Loved the cast. Danny, Jon, Will, Dax, are some funny guys in this movie. It's worth the rental. If your in the mood for fun and silly and just want a mind numbing comedy like I did, then this is it for you.."
½ June 23, 2010
some funny parts but very few. C-
Nate Z.
June 24, 2010
When in Rome, do not do as this banal movie does. Know what kind of movie you're in for? There's an audio record scratch/slowdown effect twice in the first ten minutes. Kirsten Bell (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) is an unlucky in love workaholic who, when in Rome, pilfers coins from the Fountain of Love. This makes the subjects who tossed the coins (John Heder, Dax Shepard, Danny DeVito, Will Arnett) magically fall in love with Bell. They chase her back to New York and act like obsessive stalkers. Essentially, this is a rip-off of Love Potion Number Nine, except this rom-com is neither romantic nor comedic. The comedy is mostly brain-dead slapstick and the payoffs never materialize. In one scene, Bell and a date go out for a "night dinner" where they eat completely in the dark. There's plenty of potential there but it's like a minute until her posse of stalkers interrupt and the date's over. There's stuff like people running into trees, people squeezing into a tiny Italian car, a vase that's supposed to break as a wedding celebration and refuses to break, and Bell and her lead, Josh Duhamel, have zero chemistry and like a three feet height differential. The movie is so joyless and bereft of energy. The scripts seems to be missing many scenes that fill in details about the various characters, or at least help give setup and context. The movie exists squarely in the absurd realm of romantic comedies and it's thoroughly mediocre. I would expect nothing less from the writers of Old Dogs. I enjoy Bell but it's not hard to resist the spell of this junk.

Nate's Grade: C-
½ January 27, 2010
Kristen Bell deserves so much better than this.

It's not just that this is another cliche-filled romantic comedy. I'm okay with those, just as an action flick can just be mindless popcorn fun - not every film needs to be high art. But no, this is bad even by rom-com standards. The plot is fairly ridiculous, and yes, filled with cliched dialogue. The suitors are over-the-top caricatures, void of any humor whatsoever... Especially Jon Heder (as always), who needs to quit acting ASAP. Duhamel is fairly likable, but here is forced to play this clumsy buffoon. His part could have been fine, but they seemed to think adding slapstick would make it more entertaining (It didn't).

As for Kristen, well... she was fine. Despite the crap she was given to work with, she still manages to charm. Spotting the film an extra star for Bell is the only reason it didn't rate 1 lonely star. Given a proper vehicle like Sandra Bullock had with While You Were Sleeping, Bell could easily break through to be the next big thing. But if she keeps picking projects like these, she'll be back on TV in no time. (and maybe next time don't pick the romantic comedy directed by the guy who did Daredevil and Ghost Rider)
½ November 15, 2009
About five minutes and five painfully unfunny jokes into When in Rome, thought I was in for a real dud.

I can't say that I was "disappointed", because my initial expectations for the movie didn't go beyond seeing Kristen Bell be cute and adorable. Without her, it would have been awful. With her, it's mediocre with bearable moments of an attractive woman being on screen.

I'd say that I chuckled maybe three times during the movie. It's thankfully too short to be tedious, despite the fact that the story is as generic and predictable as they come. Even a thirteen year old girl would be rolling her eyes at the idea that the two lead characters fall in "love" over the course of a few days and four or five meetings. Shallow, insipid, and trite are a few of the many descriptive words that came to mind as I watched this.

Being a fan of a particular actor or actress can lead one to watch things that normally wouldn't keep your attention as an in-flight movie, and that's certainly the case here. I recommend When in Rome to only the most hardcore fans of Kristen (or Duhamel, for the ladies), or to those who enjoy even the most anemic romantic comedies. I'm giving it a higher score than it deserves, because Bell is just that charming. Which makes wonder how it could have been if she had been attached to a an actual decent movie.
April 22, 2010
its a funny movie in places which were really quite funny!! However it is extremely predictable!! this story doesnt really leave much to the imagination and isnt original , you can easily guess what is going to happn and hw its going to end! Not great not worth the watch!
September 24, 2009
Actually kind of below average even for a romantic comedy. Really just silly in places. The plot is a girl goes to Rome for her sister's wedding and while she is there she steals some coins out of a fountain, which means that whoever threw them in will fall in love with her. Luckily for her, they are all men (can not imagine where this story might have gone had they not been, who knows maybe it would have been more interesting!). To top it all off, none of them are even likeable. There's a horrible, vain male model (who is not remotely attractive), a middle aged sausage salesman and a creepy magician and artist. Conveniently, all of them live in America and follow her home. It is because of this stupid logic that this movie falls flat - some level of disbelief is acceptable in a romantic comedy - this one pushes it too far.
The best thing about is Kristen Bell, an actress who I think can do better. I don't know why she is wasting her time in a movie like this. Alexis Dziena as her sister is also good. It is not horrible, and it would be acceptable as a rental (probably), but paying $17 for it does not seem to be good value.