When the Lights Went Out Reviews

February 6, 2015
It's strange to hear a Yorkshire accent in a horror movie it was worth watching not particularly scary but just enough to keep my interested
January 26, 2015
When will moviemakers realise that just because you 'borrow' scenes straight out of big hits like The Amityville Horror and The Exorcist, doesn't necessarily make your 'based on a true story' film any more interesting?
January 27, 2014
A good little British film, capturing the essence of the era with a ghostly tale to tell. The fact that it's based in a council house rather than an archetypal old creaky house may bring this closer to home and add something to unsettle the viewer. Worth a watch.
March 7, 2013
No tenía grandes expectativas sobre este filme británico pero algo me hizo verlo de todos modos. Por dicha lo hice, porque realmente me gustó y mucho. Basado en hechos reales sobre un caso poltergeist en Inglaterra en los 70's, y además el director del filme es sobrino de la mujer que vivió en esa casa. Todavía no entiendo para qué cambiaron el apellido de la familia, ya que por lo que estuve revisando, el caso ha sido bien documentado y hasta apareció en periódicos, pero debido a algunos elementos controversiales sobre todo con respecto a miembros de la Iglesia, supongo que al cambiar el apellido, pueden alegar que es simplemente un guión en caso de una demanda por difamación. Regresando al filme, no tiene actores conocidos, pero todo el cast hace un muy buen trabajo personificando sus papeles. La dirección es muy acertada. La música es justo la indicada para meterte en la trama. Y los efectos especiales más que satisfactorios. Todo son gustos, pero en mi opinión muy personal, puedo decirles que no le hagan caso a las bajas calificaciones que ha sufrido este filme, si lo ven en su video club, alquilenla, les gustará mucho.
½ March 5, 2013
I think the scariest moment in the film, and boy, were there many - was when the 'malevolent spirit' started playing with the slinky - I mean, really, how did William Friedkin miss out on that one back in 1973?

His loss.
February 16, 2013
Emotionally unengaging, flat & banale script. Oh well
½ February 12, 2013
It's been done before and this one doesn't do it any better - When the Lights Went Out is just another in a long line of bad Exorcist rip-offs that's sluggish, uninvolving and void of any thrills...has there ever been a horror produced where a family doesn't move into a haunted house?
February 1, 2013
Actually worse than the reviews would have you believe!
January 11, 2013
Quite a nice little movie. Liked the fact it was set in Yorkshire and had lovely quirky, believable characters. while I enjoyed it, I would have liked the scare factor to have been ramped up a bit. Still well worth a watch.
January 7, 2013
BOOM, the LFE channel is used to devastating effect and Dario Argento's suspiria score by Goblin in the docco is a nice touch.SEE THIS.
½ December 10, 2012
Terrible acting mixed with cheesy plot makes When the lights went out a complete mess of a movie, carrying a lot of laughable moments.
December 1, 2012
the movie should have said " prepare yourself for the ultimate horrible experience". Well it really wasn't that bad. Just horrible.
November 22, 2012
i loved this movie. it is very well made, shot, acted. definitely worth seeing.
November 12, 2012
Just a typical ghost in a house with a family story. It was a nice change to not have it filmed from a camcorder.
November 9, 2012
English accents don't make for a scary film. Kudos to the actors but this was lame-O.
November 7, 2012
Starts off mildly entertaining and slowly becomes a cheesy joke.
August 25, 2012
When the Lights Went Out held such good promise for a really great horror movie; sadly it failed to live up to the expectations.Set during recession hit 1974 Yorkshire, the film tells the story of the Maynard family, as we find them moving into their new house, within the typical Yorkshire estate. With a daughter who is extremely unhappy at being uprouted and friends who's only task seems to be to keep the 70's spirit rolling (no pun) and continue to remind us that this is supposed to be a recession.The story flows along, as strange and mysterious evens ensue; from an exploding tap to a clock thorwing itself down the stairs. When young Sally's belongs find themselves back outside of the room she has taken, her parents see it as childish rebellion, but as time goes on, stanger acts start to occur and the family start to detect a defin ite presence. The story carries on from here, but this is not the problem for me.What I struggled with was the poor production values; from the multiple SKY satelite reception dishes scatter thorughout the estate, to the disjointed story telling. We get the feeling that the parents want to blame the child for what is going on, but the violent attacks on the child by the parents do not come across as warranted.For me this film failed to live up to the expectation and the failures to provide continuity and to ensure that the 21st century did not break the state of belief, made this film feel no better than an amature attempt on Channel 4...
August 12, 2012
Based on a true story and set in 70s Yorkshire, Pat Holden's ghost story is one heck of a promising piece of Horror/Comedy. The film is reasonably acted and delivered and triumphs in capturing the era in which it is set. The lashings of Horror offer some nice spine tingles (as well as the odd fresh idea) and the funny moments work quite nicely too- particularly a finale exorcist scene. True there are some troubled tone shifts throughout and an absolute hash of a finish really leaves a sour taste. Yet the film remains an interestingly dark and entertaining piece of low budget, British, genre hybridity.