When Trumpets Fade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When Trumpets Fade Reviews

fpb
January 31, 2016
What an excellent movie, well produced and acted. For me, Zac Orth, who plays a rookie combatant named Sanderson, is the best actor. He makes you feel Sandersons fear when, knowing that he will be almost certainly mowed down by Germans, he runs rampage with a flame thrower amongst them, screaming with false bravado. Many soldiers become heroes out of desperation and fear and the film portrays this fact very well. I regard this as one the best ever war movies. Spiderman fans should not watch this as there is too much reality.
November 29, 2015
Just rented this off Amazon. I'm pretty hard to please. If its not "Saving Private Ryan" I get antsey. When one soldier tells another soldier something like "get it together Marine" I lost it. If you can't get that right I don't want to risk watching anymore.
October 12, 2015
Good story, average movie.
½ September 7, 2015
Lousy acting. One of my least favorite war movies.
½ July 25, 2015
Seems many miss the plot, as this movie questions "what is heroism?" and "what makes a leader?" As an Iraq veteran that has seen combat, I understand the feelings of almost every character on here. Band of Brothers is by far the best war series, but Trumpets Fade is one that stands out since I saw it when first released and the many times watched it since Unlike almost all war movies, I get something new every time I watch this. Granted the filming is sub-par, and the acting is lacking, but the story line and plot are what has me coming back. It discusses sometimes people are heroes out of necessity, but it does not take away from the heroism. Leadership and responsibility are things one does not chose for themselves, but is often thrust upon them. Though one might have low self-esteem and expectations from themselves, does not make others wrong in their potential and their abilities. Becoming a leader sometimes requires the right motivation. Being looked up to as a role model is not chosen by you, rather those that chose to follow you, whether you like it or not. Sometimes those that care too deeply cannot be heroes, and those that act like they care not for others truly do to protect themselves from falling apart.
I love this movie for its complexity rarely seen in war movies.
February 27, 2015
MY DAD WAS KILLED IN THE HURTEGAN FOR ST BATTLE ON NOV 2 1944. THE Y MA DE HIM SGT when he got there
October 27, 2014
in my top 5 war movies.
April 1, 2014
Among the 10 best WW2 movies.
March 25, 2013
I saw this on HBO when it 1st came on the TV back in the 90's

Was happy to see that it is now on DVD and is now added to my collection.
July 22, 2012
good plot, good performance from the cast. do not expect too much action as the film is more focus on the story telling.
½ June 27, 2012
You don't see edgy battle scenes here,but film is must to see and tells story of one infantry squad in a battle obscured by Hitler's Ardennes Offensive-the Battle of Hurtgenwald.

This is a battle which should be remembered.

This is what war is about!
January 19, 2012
Loved the story, but wasn't so much amazed about the movie.
December 18, 2010
Recommended by GiovannyTG
½ December 26, 2004
WHEN TRUMPETS FADE (1998)
June 12, 2010
If you like war movies this is superb. It is well acted and realistically done with a compelling story. The cast is well chosen also. I am fussy about my WW2 movies, but this is one of the best around.
½ June 7, 2010
the story was very good. the acting overall was poor Zak Orth was terrible and i hope he goes through acting school one more time but Ron Eldard was very good in it. even though the acting and battle scenes are not as good as SPR (saving private ryan) but i think its a better than SPR because its historicly acurite and not a hollywood war flick. it shows that the americans got there ass kicked in the battle of hurtgen forest.
½ May 16, 2010
Boring, slow with a host of characters you can't care about or empathize with...the CO played by Dwight Yoakum is loathsome and the budget must have been very low, but it does show that the Hurtgen was a bloody mess...
March 18, 2010
Intense and tight. Ron Eldard is very convincing as Manning, whatever his rank is ("I was a private three days ago.") It's refreshing that the movie stays in mind 10 minutes after the ending.
DSL
October 27, 2009
A decent war flick, you can definetely tell its an older flick but it was ok.