20% The Identical Sep 05

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

When We Leave Reviews

February 7, 2011
In "When We Leave," Umay(Sibel Kekilli) suffers another beating from her husband Kemal(Ufuk Bayraktar) after she was caught lying about where she spent the day. In fact, she had gotten an abortion, the first step in leaving her husband, with their son Cem(Nizam Schiller), to return to her native Germany, away from Turkey where she always felt isolated and alone. At home, her younger sister Rana(Almila Bagriacik) is getting ready for her wedding while their parents(Derya Alabora & Settar Tanriogen) are curious how long she will be staying. Yeah, about that...Umay's plan is to stay permanently, planning on working and studying, and burning her passport to make her point. In which case, a plan is made to return Cem to his father...

"When We Leave" is for the most part a compelling drama on the difficult subject of honor killing, exploring it with much needed complexity, especially the hypocrisies involved. For a lot of the movie, this is accomplished through very good performances and subtlety. But the movie self-destructs with a horrible ending(maybe not for the reasons you are thinking) and a scene where the movie grandstands to horrifying effect. As an unintended side effect, Umay, who for the most part comes off as sympathetic, starts to seem a little self-centered, not realizing that her actions have repercussions for others, especially her family.
November 18, 2011
This past year I took the 100 series of German language courses at my university. It was a great experience and I loved learning the language. One of the benefits, along with my love of film, was the introduction to some great German films. This particular film, a new one, was brought up by my 103 instructor, who praised it. So naturally I had to check it out. The film deals with immigration issues in Germany and the resulting culture clash, issues that have also arisen in a philosophy class I took that same quarter. So the intrigue of this film was more than I could bear to not seek it out.

The film follows Umay (Sibel Kekilli) who is the young wife of Kemal and mother of Cem. They live, not so happily, in Istanbul. When Kemal goes too far and Umay has had enough, she flees to Germany, where her family has migrated. But upon learning about her reasons, her family ostracizes her for shaming their family. Left to her own devices, a single mother and an immigrant in Germany, Umay struggles to come to grips with the grim reality of the customs of her Turkish family.

Writer/director Feo Aladag, in her debut feature, raises some interesting questions and makes some nice observations. The male-centric Turkish culture may be out of date in this modern world and Umay's wishes and desires should not effect the dignity of an entire family, or the fate of her younger sister's true romance, but they do. I mentioned my philosophy class earlier. In it, we discussed the flawed philosophy that right and wrong are determined on a culture to culture basis, and who are we to say that another culture is wrong? Like I said, it is flawed, but it does present an interesting case in some situations.

For instance, Umay is rebelling against her cultures view of right and wrong, attempting to stand up for her individual rights as a woman, whose rights are generally disregarded. It is an admirable attempt, but the manner in which she does it is somewhat tactless and she is only setting herself up for failure. Many of her actions are selfish, even to the point that Cem, the only true innocent in the story, is overlooked. Her family, while shunning her, does give her the ability to live her own life without them, yet Umay insists on getting everything that she wants, pretty much ruining her sister's wedding just so that she can see her. In this regard, the film does not work. It has good intentions and does discuss/bring up important issues, but it does not handle them well. Plus they through in an under-developed pseudo-romance for seemingly no reason.

Other aspects of the film are quite admirable though. The cinematography for example is quite good. And a lot of credit should be given to the lead actress, Sibel Kekilli, who plays Umay with a of of heart and emotion. It's just that the narrative and direction fail the material behind it. I truly feel sorry for Cem.
September 22, 2012
im such a softie beautifully directed turkish movie...
February 18, 2012
Powerful, moving drama
January 2, 2012
Beside its uneven script and bad conclusion, Die Fremde is still a sophisticated, powerfully acted, emotional and intense art-house melodrama.
Umelbumel
January 8, 2012
Sibel Kekilli, what a stunning actress. Movie was quite good, too.
3/5
September 23, 2011
Riveting and heartbreaking film about a Turkish woman's attempt to get out of an abusive relationship and go home to Germany to get assistance from her family who abandon her due to cultural and societal stigma. Infuriating in that the main character is determined to keep contact with those who do not have her or her young son's best interests at heart. Really powerful central performance by Sibel Kekilli.
August 25, 2011
"When We Leave" is a heartbreaking story, superbly acted and directed. Regrettably also based on the reality of the lives of too many Middle Eastern women, and men. One does not know whom to pity the most. The men? Or the women? Since all embedded in the clutches of a patriarchal system.
The defiance of the heroine, Umay, although at a very high cost to herself and her family, is at one level, inspiring.
This is not the first film to expose the the brutality of the distorted and destructive power of family honor. Turkish filmmakers also address the issue. We thank talented writers and producers who take on this subject. Their work is a challenge to see how far film can made a difference among the people who really count here? BNimri Aziz
July 17, 2011
?ั?ห?ั? ?ั?ห?ั??หี?ย? ห?ั??ริ?ม??ิร???ิ???อย????ระยะ?วลาหลั?ห?ั??ริ?ม?าย????ม??ี??า?ี ?า?ห?ั?ยาว??ือ?สอ??ั?ว?ม? ?าร?ี??ั??รั??ั?อารม???ม??ั? ?ำ?ห??รา?าร?????ั??????ริ?ม?? ?ละ??ว?าห?ั??ล?อยหมั?ฮุ??ั??ลอ??วลา ห?ั?ว?า??วย?รื?อ???าย? ?อ??ม??าว?ุร?ี?ื?ออูมาย?ี?หอ?ลู??ื?อ??มห?ี?ัว?ี??อ??ำร?าย?ัว?อ??ละลู? ??วย?วาม?ี?ว?า?าว?ุร?ี??ี?ย?????ล?มือ??ั??สอ??อ??ระ??ศ?ยอรมั?อยู??ล?ว ?ล?วอูมาย??ี?ย?ั?????ห?ิ????รอ??รัวมุสลิมอี? ?อ??า??ะ?????ล?มือ??ั??สอ????ระ??ศ ยั?????????ี?ยล?า??อ??รอ??รัว ?อ??ร?ห?ี?ัว??อยู??ั???อ ????????อ?ละ?ี??าย?ั??ั??ห??ื?ลู??ห??ัว ??ราะลู??????รรมสิ??ิ??อ??ัว ????าวมุสลิม??ร??? ??ะ ????ี?ม?ยอมห?ี??อ?ละ?ี??าย??อี? ?ล?ว?รอ??รัว???ลย????ม?า??ว?าอูมาย?ม???ะหรี? ??อ?ละ?ี??าย?ลย?ลั?? ??อ?สาว?ี???ยรั??ั??ี?า??ำย?ำ??ือ??ห?มา?า??????า???วย ????อ?หมั???ะ?ั?หั? ?ิ?หาย?ล?ว?? ??อ?สาว?ลย??ลีย??ม????วย ??า??อ?มา?า??????ีหลั? ยั?????ี??าย??อม????ั?ห?ั? ?ี?ี?อูมาย??ห?ี??หา???ู?????ี????รื?อย? ????ี??ั???รื?อ??ี??หละ มั??ห??????ั??ลย?รื?อ???ศ?ละอำ?า???ศาส?าอิสลาม??ี?ย ?ู?ห?ิ?????ม?มีสิ??ิ??ม?มี?สีย??หี?ย?ร?ลย ??า??ม?สั???ห?ลู??าย??ีย?ยั??ำ?ม???? ยิ???อ?อ???ห?ั????สั??าหลอ???มา ?ะยิ??ม?ยิ??อ?ะยั??? ?อ?ม??ยิ?มา ?ม?ยิ????า?ระ?ู ???ยิ????าหัว?ู?ี??หละ
June 27, 2011
Rented this movie tonight from Netflix. It was a horrifying reminder of the horror and terror many Muslim women live in. Surely misogyny is the first hatred and somehow at the root of so much evil.
March 31, 2011
It's a masterpiece - every moment of this film touches your feelings.. you will be amused..
February 28, 2011
Film koji nikako ne treba propustiti.

February 7, 2011

January 24, 2011
Tenso, me causou uma crise de ansiedade terrivel...