12% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

When You're Strange Reviews

May 10, 2012
Captures the 60's. Strange.
May 6, 2012
Interessante documentário, detalha bem mais da vida do Morrison do que o filme do Stone
April 8, 2012
it was awesome to see all this footage of jim morrison and the doors. And to hear johnny depp tell their story made it even better
March 4, 2012
"When You're Strange" funciona essencialmente como um best-of cronológico dos Doors acompanhado por imagens de arquivo e anotações biográficas, sem esquecer tambà (C)m aqueles episódios mais ou menos escandalosos que todos já conhecemos da dose Oliver Stone e dos documentários na televisão por cabo. Funciona? Claro, mas qualquer filme dominado pela música dos Doors teria hipóteses de ser marcante e proporcionar um bom bocado a quem vê (ajuda a isso o facto da banda parecer realmente interessada em divertir-se numa sà (C)rie de momentos registados no documentário). Mas a grande diferença deste "When You're Strange" para o biopic de Oliver Stone está na diminuição da componente caricatural (atà (C) porque não tem Val Kilmer) e na sobriedade com que conta uma história pouco sóbria. Ou seja, sem montagens do sol a subir e a descer no deserto, sem visões místicas e sem nativos americanos a dançar nos concertos. Apesar de tudo, "A film about the Doors" à (C) um subtítulo enganador e sobejamente subversivo: "When you're strange" à (C) muito mais sobre Jim Morrison do que sobre o quarteto que se formou quando dois amigos se encontraram em Venice Beach. Os estigmas culturais do costume ditam o rumo do filme e mais de dois terços da duração são uma bajulação dedicada ao carisma e habilidades de rock star de Jim Morrison. O gà (C)nio de Robby Krieger fica na sombra, mesmo quando se sabe que tanta da música dos Doors passava por ele. Mas o cabelo palha-de-aço de Robby Krieger não fica assim tão bem num poster ou numa transmissão televisiva, e a história, como sabemos, privilegia sempre os bem aparecidos. "When you're strange" à (C) muito mais a prova disso do que um retrato aprofundado e necessário sobre essa grande banda que foram os Doors. 3/5
Hosea Aryo Bimo Widiotomo N.
December 14, 2010
a rare kind of documentary indeed, with its poem, song, and feel of those years to come

a rarity, an art
Eric B

May 15, 2010
And the Doors legend continues to be happily milked. Just how many "Best of...," "Very Best of...," "Ultimate...," "Greatest Hits of..." anthologies are we up to now?

The best reason to see "When You're Strange" is the footage from Morrison's obscure "HWY" film. These clips serve the new documentary so well that I hear some suspicious fans accused the director of using a stand-in actor. Nope, it's really the bearded Morrison wandering around those desert highways. I would have been quite excited to see this material, except that I coincidentally saw the entire "HWY" on YouTube quite recently (it's about 50 minutes long).

Otherwise, "When You're Strange" is a mixed success. The narration is poorly written, and loaded with banalities. I felt embarrassed for Johnny Depp. I was also leery of all the "creative" syncs of *this* video with *that* audio from somewhere else...particularly the indulgent insertion of professional Doors fawner Jim Ladd in the beginning. The hoary documentary cliche of running casual footage in slow motion for artificial "portent" is also used to excess.

There was some good material I hadn't seen before, though. Highlights included shots of the Soft Parade recording sessions, a scene with Morrison comforting a bloodied concert fan and a fine 1969 version of "The End." Otherwise, it's mostly flashes of informal, handheld clips which will provoke a smile here and there.

Biographically speaking, I was surprised there was no mention of the controversy surrounding the string arrangements added to the Soft Parade album. There was also no time spent on what may be the greatest of all unanswered Doors mysteries: Why did Morrison's eyebrows turn so blonde near the end of his life?
February 13, 2012
An outstanding documentary of one of my favourite bands of all time.
February 9, 2012
Interesting documentary on The Doors. Good, rare footage. Does seem fairly conventional in its delivery though, with Johnny Depp's narration seeming too dead-pan for such a controversial and flamboyant subject.
March 28, 2010
I drink so I
can talk to assholes.
This includes me.
-Jim Morrison's poem

Documentaire très bien ficelé avec une bonne narration. On y montre principalement à quel point la foule était en feu, l'interaction souvent violente envers lui, et vice versa, ses excès...
JoanofArt
January 11, 2012
Some says the era of "The phsycadelic like LSD open the doors of persception.
Jim name his band to one of William Blake poems. "The Doors" - If *the doors* of perception were cleansed everything would appear to me as it is: infinite.

What I'd like the most is when Morrison says :"like someone's not quite home or not quite relax. We're on a lot of things but not quite sure of everything." that was the time he's under acid and booze.

Plus it was narrated by Johnny Depp.
"Morrison is both innocent and profane. He is a rock and roll poet, dangerous and highly intellegent. No one has had this exact combination before."
December 17, 2011
å?»å¹´ã?®å¤§æ?¦æ?¥ã??:)
WARP
December 17, 2011
Great subject piss poor execution.
Russell Ford
November 8, 2011
Whether you buy into the Jim Morrison mythology or not, The Doors have left an iconic legacy in music history that has lasted far beyond their time. When You're Strange chronicles the rise and demise of The Doors; from earthly beginnings in the Whisky a Go-Go to all the way to The End. This loving assembled tribute explores the strange collection of individuals whose disparate musical influences made the band sound unique. When You're Strange offers a mesmerizing, behind-the-music glimpse at a crucial and bizarre moment in rock history, and maybe American culture. Although the portrait of social change in Sixties America may be sketchy, the film effectively states the case for Morrison as a charismatic, complex figure who lived fast, died young and left a lasting legacy. Insightful and beautifully filmed, When You're Strange is hauntingly poetic enlightenment that will devotionally captivate and engage.
October 24, 2011
I think I would have gotten more out of it if I had more knowledge about this band to start with, but it was still pretty good. Jim Morrison is such a hottie.
Hobowithbazooka
October 16, 2011
A splendid alternative to Oliver Stone's "The Doors". I loved every second of the movie, it shows the true Jim Morrison - the sensitive poet as well as his Alter Ego Jimbo. Live material is mixed with Jim Morrison's own movie "An American Prayer" which brings back Morrison looking back on his life and death, as if it all had been a big spoof with him still lingering around.
August 6, 2011
awesome doc with AMAZING footage of true rock godz!
July 30, 2011
Not as in depth as I wanted it to be but it still gives Doors fans something to like and appreciate.
July 21, 2011
starring the one and only jim morrison himself finally they found a use for his footage from HWY and other films, this is a truly great rockumenty.