Where Do We Go Now? Reviews

April 22, 2013
Odd little movie..but quirky. Part musical at times (random singing sequences--ex. women singing together whilst they bake goodies to drug the men in their village). Seemed a little confused on whether it wanted to be a comedy, drama, or a musical. It even had a blossoming love connection that they started, then seemed to forget about. Like a said...odd movie.
March 23, 2012
"Where Do We Go Now?" walks a fine line from scene to scene. It's religious subject matter is undeniably touchy, but director Nadine Labaki and co. confront these age old issues with lighthearted farce, sentimentality, hard drama, jarring musical numbers and no little whimsy. Few films could have such element coexist to positive results, but Labaki uses them to strengthen the film. They don't come off as superficial and compliment her vision. This is a great little film that deserves to be seen for a myriad of reasons, most of which is it's impressive thematic balancing act. If you are looking for a stern, serious condemnation of religious indifferences, look elsewhere. "Where Do We Go Now?" is a parable that plays by it's own rules, in it's own world, but screams just as loud.
September 16, 2011
Labaki fails terribly trying to combine in the same film a lighthearted comedy and a serious statement on intolerance in the Middle East. Her story constantly moves with no tact from constant silly jokes to tragedy to corny melodrama, and finishes in an unvelievably naive last scene that is an offense to the viewer's intelligence.
Harlequin68
½ June 3, 2012
In "Where Do We Go Now?" Roukoz(Ali Haidar) and Nassim(Kevin Abboud) travel from an isolated village in Lebabnon on a journey that takes them over a rickety old bridge and past a minefield on errands for the rest of the villagers. And a mine has claimed its most recent victim, Brigitte, a goat, who tastes great spit roasted. One of their customers is Amale(Nadine Labaki, who also directed) whose cafe is being renovated by the handsome Rabih(Julian Farhat). On their most recent excursion, they bring back a satellite dish for nightly viewings. This backfires when violence intensifies in other parts of the country, and the women conspire to unplug it in order to prevent its news from destroying their fragile peace. Desperate, they come up with another plan, with a little help from outsiders...

Along with a tip of the hat to Dr. Seuss, "Where Do We Go Now?" has some memorable imagery but is thin on some of the characterizations and admittedly a little uneven, with three musical numbers, if you include the dance of death that opens the movie.(To be honest, I did love the second song.) But that is only to be expected in a place where violence is feared every minute of the day, as this is a compelling allegory of a war torn country, long divided by sectarian bloodshed. In this particular village, Christians and Muslims live and work side by side, but are buried on separate sides of the village cemetery that apparently only contains the bodies of men, leaving it up to the women to come up with a better way.
½ October 24, 2012
A satirical drama which pokes at the very heart of the Middle Eastern culture of animosity between Christians and Muslims.
½ August 2, 2015
The Lebanese always make movies in a great way, the angle of the camera the eye of the director pretty close to French movies but with Arabian sensation ...
½ November 5, 2012
maybe people who are not lebanese have difficulties to appreciate this movie? personnally I found that this film is great. deserve more postive critics! to bad people in lebanon don't seem to have learn something from this movie or from their ow history... note that I am atheist, but its just the idea to accept the other.. live with him and love him as he is! to saccrifice!
April 4, 2015
this movie is underrated
May 15, 2014
Labaké's film is explores the banality of religious strife in a small fictitious Lebanese village, where the smallest spark can ignite a conflict with devastating consequences. The women of the village united in grief attempt in all sorts of ingenious ways to keep the peace among the hot-headed men, who co-exist precariously side by side. Sometimes comical and at other times tragic, the story evolves in surprising ways, keeping the viewer guessing about the final resolution. The village atmosphere is captivating, and the characters curiously charming, despite their many shortcomings. The films borrows a little from Turkish cinema like Visontele, but does one better with a clear statement against the war of men, which leaves nothing but widows and ignorance in its midst. The locations, interiors and musical score blend beautifully and are as crucial to the story as any of the characters. It's hard not to be proud when a fellow Lebanese with the courage of conviction and the craft of movie making, is able to present the world with such a poignant portrayal of what is wrong with our country. I hope we can all learn some lessons about the folly of war, since our country, just like that village, is too small and far too fragile to survive another war of attrition.
November 17, 2011
Could well be the best Lebanese film i've ever seen!
January 15, 2014
i can't determine whether this village is lost ,or the rest of the world is !
December 30, 2013
Não só uma inspirada crítica aos conflitos religiosos, mas também uma verdadeira ode à maior sensibilidade e racionalismo do sexo feminino. Alterna com enorme eficácia entre momentos bastante tensos e sequências extremamente hilárias.
½ December 13, 2013
A really touching movie. Reflects the reality of Lebanon. Amazing. Just loved it :')
½ February 7, 2013
Being half-Lebanese (on my mother's side), I was interested to see a movie about the devastating civil war that destroyed the country. This movie is about a small village in the mist of the civil war, while trying to remain peaceful, the war eventually comes to them making the Muslims and Christians turn on each other. A woman named Amale and her friends try to find a solution to the tension before the war consumes the entire village. This movie is just okay. It's quirky and inconsistent with random singing sequences and a tonal identity crisis (doesn't know if it want to be a comedy or a serious drama). It's of a somewhat recommendable, but a subject like the Lebanese civil war deserves a better treatment.
July 10, 2012
Amazing movie !!!! Nadine labaki is a great director !!
February 16, 2013
I loved this movie. I'm very surprised to see that it has gotten such a low rating.
½ February 9, 2013
I loved this movie! In some wonderful but unfathomable way it was tragic and funny, sometimes at the same moment. But it worked. The women of the village, with help from their religious leaders, some Ukrainian strippers, and hashish stop their men from participating in current religious strife. This movie proves why women should rule the world. Great flick.
February 12, 2013
many stolen elements from
the film deals very Superficial a complex political situation.
and the problem is that the director think that she really did solve the reason for fight in the ME. the film moves from drama to comedy to silliness and some time to Arabic video clip type of direction.
it is a big disappointment from the director of caramel
½ November 25, 2012
In the beginning it seems you are watching an adaptation Romeo and Juliet. Having a plot that focuses on a main issue, â?Where do we go now?â? captures a rather peaceful world where Christians and Muslims live together in harmony. When the conflict starts and the situation gets tense there is always a joke coming in. In the end the women and the Ukrainian strippers manage to save the day. It would be nice to see this happening more often in the real world too.
September 20, 2011
The least worthy TIFF audience winner in years. It sure is interesting, but never really takes off or connects.