96% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden? Reviews

Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Not as good as SUPER SIZE ME, but Spurlock does a good job at least trying to hunt down "OBL", as he refers to bin Laden in this film. Unfortunately, it's a waste of time to watch the film today, since "OBL" is dead.
KJ P

January 26, 2010
I have no comment! I also have absolutely no idea why I give it 3 stars, because this movie is very funny, but the plot is... well, I don't even know if it is fresh! This is soo weird!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

May 10, 2008
Unlike the similarily toned documentaries by Michael Moore, or even director Morgan Spurlock's previous film, "Supersize Me", I doubt this will have any major social or political impact. Okay, sure, it does pose some interesting questions, I'll give it that much. But for all its fascinating qualities, it feels like Spurlock hasn't dug as deeply into the subject as he could have, and thus, it's more the kind of documentary you see for its entertainment value alone.

So where in the world is Osama bin Laden? Well, as you might have imagined, it's not something that really gets answered here. What it does provide though, are some well-educated guesses and speculations. Interesting and thought-provoking such, but assumptions nonetheless. Political shortcomings aside though, this was still a very enjoyable watch. Especially with all the fun and humorous animations.

Another thing I really liked about this film, was the very humane and down-to-earth feel it had. With his diplomatic and none-judgemental approach, Spurlock provides a reality-based image of arabs and muslims that is far from the angled view that we so often get spoonfed by the media. So altough Morgan may not unearth any groundbreaking facts, he does, in the end, grant us something far more essential: a tangible look at the common needs, hopes and wishes that connects us all as humans, along with some great examples of how positive change can be made by fairly simple and non-violent means. That alone made this into quite an inspiring experience.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

March 23, 2010
"Where in the World is Osama bin Laden?" is an entertaining documentary that starts with Morgan Spurlock learning he is about to become a father for the first time. Fearing for the safety of his future offspring in such a cruel world and moving to Idaho apparently not being an option, he decides to be proactive and seek out the prime source of anxiety in the world today, Osama bin Laden. The training for Spurlock's journey to potentially hazardous countries takes care of any weight he gained during "Super Size Me"(which I have not seen, by the way) and proves that the scariest words in the English language are "If there is anything I have learned from watching action movies." In the process of his odyssey, he travels to Egypt, Morocco, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Pakistan, talking with common people and experts alike. The movie is not terribly insightful, however, even though I agree with a lot of what Spurlock has to say. And I am left wondering how exactly he got permission to not only enter Saudi Arabia, but also to apparently freely film there. In the end, Spurlock has his last great adventure before having to grow up and become a father.(He gets to fire a rocket launcher which is cool and not as scary as it sounds.) At the same time, he is also asking the world to grow up and get over itself, so his children and the children of the world can live in peace together.
merlynsprankling
merlynsprankling

August 22, 2008
Inspired by the question 'Where in the world is Osama bin Laden? Morgan Spurlock's hunt for the world's most elusive terrorist is quite a different take on the Middle East. Spurlock decides to go in pursuit of the infamous fugitive to find out what makes him tick. The journey takes him through Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Morocco and Jordan where he saught out people in the street.

In this film, Spurlock mixed with muslims during Ramadan, talked to people in their homes, in the slums of Morocco or a mosque in Jordan. It's a quest, and albeit he didn't exactly find his quarry, his intentions in the Middle East are admirable. He wanted to make a film that would breakdown the stereotypes of Muslims perpetuated by the American media, and in turn show Muslims that Americans are not all bad.

His expedition is also punctuated by telephone conversations with his wife Alexandra, as well as scenes of her in New York coping with her pregnancy and the worries about his safety.

This documentary also combines animation, adventure and comedy to produce a well balanced and thought provoking portrayal of the geopolitical relations between the Middle East and the West. It's powerful and effective in providing a three-dimensional, humanized insight into the thoughts, emotions and culture of the Middle East which strays from the mainstream media.
Marcus W

January 16, 2010
Documentarian Morgan Spurlock travels to the Middle East post 9/11 in search of answers. It is informative but ultimately doesn't tell us anything that we didn't already know.
Sarah P

September 13, 2009
It was okay, but I don't think I'd watch it again.
philliprenke
November 1, 2010
This movie is not so much a real search for Osama Bin Laden, but Morgan Spurlock traveling around the Middle East asking the locals what they think of Americans. I don't think we learn anything from this documentary that we don"t already know.
April 10, 2009
So, Matt Spurlock has gotten his following, but that does not mean he's going to make a good documentary every time, especially if he strictly relies on him being on screen as the main character in the piece and focuses little on studying the topic which he's going to confront, in other words this documentary wnt absolutely NOWHERE. Not worth the time.
MyFriendAli
July 19, 2010
Very Interesting Documentary!
About a guy who went on a search to find Osama Bin Laden!
Moral: They say; You can even find God, If you really look for it!
April 6, 2009
What starts out as Morgan Spurlock hysterically going on another finding mission turns into a grab you by the heart documentery, worthy of Oscar.
September 6, 2009
A pretty good investigative travelogue-style documentary which takes Morgan Spurlock to several Middle East countries. Shown are sides of the people that live there not widely broadcast in American media. The best part was his trip to Israel which really shows the police-state the US is headed towards because of our foreign policy. In addition to that was the near-beating he received by the Jews for merely walking down their street! The only other time he came close to being assaulted was in Afghanistan.
April 3, 2009
Very interesting and quite funny. It shows some of the reality of the situations in Middle Eastern countries: the majority of people just want to have peace and provide for their families. It shows that not everyone is a terrorist, as depicted on television sometimes.
iamthethinman
February 13, 2009
Of course, I love Super Size Me, but food is always a subject I am interested. I had my reservations about this movie, and when it starts off with him leaving a pregnant wife behind and a slapstick (but admittedly funny) animation about fighting Bin Laden, I thought I would hate it for sure. And it doesn?t build confidence in the early, early stages. Then, it kicks into a bit of the recognition that it is a ridiculous concept. Then, as he ventures into these other countries, it came around for me.

One of the things I live about him is that he doesn?t come off as annoying in certain situations, as I find Michael Moore in some respects. Spurlock is clearly bright, but he has a great sense of the dumb doofus he plays perfectly whether willingly or just through basic reaction. And that helps. Plus there are a few nice statements, though the final one is a bit visually forced. Still, worth a watch for documentary-whores like myself.
October 6, 2008
Pretty good doc by Morgan Spurlock of the 30 days series and McDonald's documentary. We basically follow Morgan to the middle east, while he searches for clues to finding the world's most notorious criminal.

More than anything, I think Morgan gives us a good look at real Muslim life, and people. An interesting sentence is uttered over and over in several different countries, "we don't hate the American people, we hate the government."

The movie is more about the journey to find Bin Laden than actually FINDING him. You can be frustrated by this, or just enjoy the trip. I myself found it interesting to see how these people live and what they think about us.
maxpowerhjays
January 23, 2008
i think this guys pretty good hes not pushing hes political agenda on people as other film makers do hes really just in it for the information to provide to us. id recommend this and his other films to anyone who like docs.
September 13, 2008
Morgan Spurlock has the biggest balls in the world. Just watch this documentary and you will agree with me. Very interesting!
ladyred2988
August 24, 2008
funny and interesting .. would have been nice to have sub-script when they were speaking arabic to see what THEY were say
August 18, 2008
I've never seen a spurlock docu before, but if they're all like this one I need to watch more. He's positively entertaining and straight-foreward than what I'd expect from a normal man. The ending isn't what I expected and a was quite blown away from it. It's quite insightful and refreshing to watch, definately would recommend it.
standbyfilms
March 26, 2008
I saw this fun doc this week in Berkeley, I am not sure how wide this will get before it arrives on DVD, but try to see it.

A lot of eyes were on Morgan Spurlock to see what he'd do as a follow-up to "Super Size Me," a documentary hit that became a cultural phenomenon and actually effected some change in the McDonald's attitude toward healthfulness (though Mickey D's denies the connection). With Michael Moore's muckraking sense of mischief but none of his abrasive personality or blatantly unfair manipulations, Spurlock is the new poster child for nonfiction filmmaking that's both useful and entertaining -- and he achieved that status with just one movie.

"Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden?," follows his quest to find the world's #1 most wanted criminal. The result isn't quite the dazzling mix of comedy and education that "Super Size Me" was; in fact, you could come away from it wondering whether it actually serves any purpose at all. But I think it's a very well done sophomore effort, and proof enough that Spurlock is not just a one-hit wonder.

Spurlock frames the film around his wife Alexandra's pregnancy and his desire to make the world safer for his unborn child. Bin Laden is the world's most notorious terrorist, so why not get him out of the way.

That joking assertion and the hilarious video-game-style opening-credit sequence that follows it indicate that Spurlock isn't 100 percent serious about actually coming face-to-face with Bin Laden. He seems to know the quest itself is futile, and that the process is what's important. (Not to be a spoiler or anything, but if he'd actually succeeded in finding Bin Laden, you'd have heard about it before you read this review. It would have been big news. I will say, though, that he comes a lot closer than the U.S. government has, probably because he was actually looking and we sorta gave up.)

It's when he flies to the Middle East that the film really hits its stride. His search for Bin Laden takes him to countries where the terrorist has left footprints, including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.

Spurlock presents a litany of facts and figures along the way, and here he proves, as he did in "Super Size Me," to be adept at alarming us without being obnoxious or divisive. He is the diligent parent who sneaks vegetables into our food. He reminds us that one of America's best buddies, Saudi Arabia, is one of the most repressive countries in the world, with an atrocious human-rights record, and that it's rank hypocrisy for us to be so chummy with them while rattling our sabers at, say, Iran.

Much of what Spurlock tells us might not be news to you if you've followed the "war on terror" closely, but it's a good summary and primer otherwise.

More important, I think, is Spurlock's attitude: hopeful, optimistic, and eager to understand everyone's point of view. He posits that if we can change the mindset that leads to terrorism and fighting, we can change the world. It sounds pretty simplistic, but Spurlock leads us on such an enlightening, lively adventure that we can believe it.

Do you best to see this. It goes wide this summer or later this spring. Bring your own game board.

Vince