Where the Wild Things Are - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Where the Wild Things Are Reviews

November 7, 2009
Takes a simple and upbeat childrens book and makes it into a sentimental film only adults will understand.
½ April 13, 2016
Oh my goddess, I remember watching this film back in Freshman year when I had Spanish class and it was just absolutely boring and terrible.

I didn't understand the plot and the kid acting like an animal or whatever in the beginning of the film was just what the actual hell to me. Throughout the film, I wasn't even paying attention and I had to sketch doodles in order to kill much time. This movie was just ugh, horrible!

Not worth watching it again. It's too confusing and boring to me. Just dumb.
April 9, 2016
Spike Jones knows how to capture the essence of a trouble kid' s mind and his childhood. It is very well made!
½ April 5, 2016
I don't know about this one. I somehow understand the boy's anger at the beginning but found the wild things rather imbeciles and creepy from the start. plus the lies were just too big and silly to have me hang on the film. Probably too english psychopathic for me. Not sure it would be good for kids either.
March 1, 2010
centered around the beloved childrens classic book. This is NOT a happy movie. very angry at times and young children might find it disturbing
March 12, 2016
Where the Wild Things Are is based on the children's book by Maurice Sendak, directed and co-written by Spike Jonze, and it stars Max Records in a story adaptation about a crazy kid who got in a fight with his mom, he ran away, and got in a boat to sail away. He come across an island, filled with monsters, and when they come towards Max, he tells them that he's king, and they basically just do whatever they want. I remember watching this in probably my pre-teen years, and I actually did liked it, but I wasn't quite sure why although I remembered how it got dark which I was fine with and didn't get nightmares. So I was watching a Nostalgia Critic video about the film, and how some people didn't like it, so I got to watch it again, and it's actually better than I thought of it. Max Records is really good as a kid actor, and the actors who play the monsters like James Gandolfini, Lauren Ambrose, Chris Cooper, Forest Whitaker, and some others are great in it. The costumes and the effects are very real and creative looking, and the story is really well thought out, even if it's based on a 40 page book. I find it fascinating that the island that the main kid is in, is pretty much his imagination, or his childhood, coming to life, and the monsters were somewhat his consciousness, like how he thinks of these monsters as either part of himself, his mom, dad, or sister, which you are not quite sure what they really represent, but it leads to your interpretation of it which I'm glad that it did. There are some dark moments that the little kids are going to be scared of, but the film doesn't make it too dark that it'll start to scar them for life. The script by Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers is very well written and the direction by Spike Jonze is very good. Where the Wild Things Are is a fantastic movie that has the spirit of the book, and it makes me think that he should also do justice to Dr. Seuss books.
July 29, 2015
A very underrated film.
August 31, 2015
When our monsters are not as scary, angry or big as we are. We don't understand why it's hard for others to understand us. Sometimes we don't even understand ourselves. Our emotions, characters, stories, imagination all have hidden meanings towards them. We a greater then others think and see who we are, but we continue to believe. We live this enriched high life, because being who we are, is less powerful. If we could just grasp at this raging emotion we have deep within, take control of them, and altogether just be 1 again with ourselves. While we have this dangerous side deep within, are we really that dangerous in real life. Are what things known to dangerous really dangerous, or misunderstood. What harnesses or suppresses this dangerous side only we know. What makes normal people harder to relate to, but strange creatures much more easier. When we see ourselves not in the image of these creatures but how they act and feel. How we see these creatures so alone in the forest, but together, we see they are nothing like us. When we see these creatures craving for attention, craving for fun and adventure, craving for a family and friends. We run away from our problem, in search for a new place that solves our problem. These deep rage deep within, always wants to come out, so does our emotions. What if we got everything that we always wanted from the people we turned too. Are we truly who we say we are, if there is no one there to say you are. The things that make us who we are, what do we do when they are gone? Are we still that thing any more? A king with no people or crown? A monster with no teeth or danger? We have great expectations that far stretches those have ever seen or known. A kingdom for us to rule, feel big, be on top and be happy. Are we still monsters when we are unable to do monster things. When there is something that makes us less of a monster but a human that we exempt our true feelings and intentions to not disband peace and create chaos. We find it hard to accept those who are different and unlike us, that we wish for them to run away. Staying together is more important to others then some who like meeting new people. When we think we are big and a king, to have no plan, have bad decisions and crave this distrustive nature. When this distrustive nature stems from our past and chaos as we heard, lived with and witness. When disagreeing is what separates us all, that we can't help but need to distance ourselves from one another. When we come face to face with our monster, the vary thing that makes us hide, the vary thing we don't know anything about, the vary thing that makes us dangerous. We realize we have to leave our monsters behind us, be there for the ones who loved us, and wants us together. Our monsters will miss us when we are gone, older, smaryer, wiser, responsible always there waiting for when you return. There will always be a place for all our dark monsters to live and go too whenever we need to go there.
July 20, 2014
Spike Jonze has proven himself worthy of acclaim in the past with films like being john malkovich and adaptation and hes proven himself after with her but in my opinion this is his finest work. No other film in history that i have seen embodies so well the mind set of a child and how their feelings effect their imagination. Yes there are parts that make no sense but i feel that it is done intentionally because as kids we feel and do things that make no sense which is why this film is so ,incredible. It takes it's source material which is like a 30 or so page childrens book and develops this complex, dramatic, emotionally in tune film the portrays some of the most realistic emotions and characters ive ever seen. Kids may not know whats going on and probably not even most adults but if your an analytical human being that loves digging into peoples emotions or a film buff in general i cannot recommend this enough.
½ July 4, 2013
I rarely walk out of a film. Thankfully this was free on some movie channel and so when I stopped and deleted it I didn't feel guilty for wasting money, though I definitely had wasted my valuable time. I so enjoyed this book when I was a kid and loved the artwork, though I always thought Max was a total creep, and would've been happier if the monsters had eaten him (yes, that's what I thought even as a kid when I first read it). But this film adaptation, while amazingly accurate visually, was so slow, the dialogue unnecessarily dragged out, the action ridiculously slow, that I simply couldn't take it. I think I might've made it a little over a half hour before I shut it off out of sheer disgust.
February 6, 2016
What a depressing mess. So much for being a family movie.
½ February 1, 2016
Where the Wild Things Are is a decent film. It is about a young boy who runs away from home and sails to an island filled with creatures that take him in as their king. Max Records and Forest Whitaker give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places but still entertaining. Spike Jonze did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the adventure and drama.
August 25, 2009
The movie only emphasizes what the book can't do and makes you realize exactly what imagination can simply do.
January 9, 2010
another film that proves that a 'unique vision' doesn't always make good cinema.

Max Records as the titular young boy Max manages to make an initially very unlikeable character transform into a vulnerable one as he goes on his fantastic trip of self discovery.

but though the concept design may have worked on paper, on screen the one tone paled down earthy tones and the lack of any decent plotting turn this into a rather dull experience.

It's not a total disaster, and eventhough I wouldn't call it a film for kids or young adults (it's rather dark and haunting at times) it's still miles better than the usual lukewarm drab this demographic gets served up.
January 2, 2016
Does the book justice in every possible way. The dialogue is hilarious and represents the mind of a child exceptionally well. It's a good movie for kids, and a great one for the parents.
½ January 11, 2016
A poetical movie about how fantasy help children escaping the world. It seems a mix between The Neverending Story and Labyrinth (two movies i love, anyway, so it's a good thing to me). You have to watch it with child eyes and accept that the story is not totally logical (as it wouldn't be in a fairy tale or better in a child fantasy) and that at times the movie is a bit weird and even nightmarish. A metaphor, more than a movie, but very heartfelt and sweet.
August 29, 2010
A cute and touching film. The film has been criticized for being somewhat too talky and relationship-ish, and yes, the middle part lacks a certain moomentum, but the opening scene is perfect and the atmosphere of the film is simply awesome. Jonze's choice to use Henson Studio puppets instead of all-CGI works out perfectly: you can see and feel the haracters running, jumping and bumping into eachother.
½ January 1, 2016
Absolutely the worst movie I have ever seen in my life and I have seen some doozies.
December 31, 2015
This is a quaint and sweet tale of imagination, feeling misunderstood, and childhood hardship wrapped inside of a rousing and powerful adventure brimming with artistry like only Spike Jonze is fully capable of.
½ December 20, 2015
I pretty much spent 70% of this movie crying. Shocked it's so underrated. Oh and the costumes/special effects are some of the best I've seen in recent years. 4 1/2 out of 5.