44% The Other Woman Apr 25

97% Orphan Black: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Where the Wild Things Are Reviews

January 7, 2014
Such a beautiful and breathtaking film. It forces the audience into a different type of storytelling and filmmaking that pays off so much in the end.
January 5, 2014
It was depressing, and lacked any kind of happy ending that children want.
April 24, 2012
I don't think I've cried this much in any other movie. This is the work of a fucking master.
February 23, 2013
One of the darkest "children" movies I've seen in some time. Where the Wild Things Are perfectly blends the fantasy genre with melodrama, to create a journey of self discovery that felt original and fun.
While the movie is based on a book. a lot of the events in the film are made up. I was fine with this. It would have been hard to draw out a 50 page book into a 100 minute film. Even though the film does drag a lot at the start, it sets up for a third act that really is touching and emotional.
The acting by Max is spectacular. He's never the annoying, "weak link" to the film that he should be, and this is because of an uncompromisingly dark performance, that the actor (Max Records) should be commended for.
The cinematography is a stand out part of the film as well. The film constantly is breathtaking to look at, especially in some of the well filmed action scenes.
The special effects also look stunning. The creatures look dangerous, but cuddly at the same time. This is not only in large part of the effects, but also the voice actors. Every role is perfectly cast, and every actor is able to convey their emotions perfectly though there voice. Something that was essential for the film to work.
My strongest complaint of the film is that it has no real narrative for first half of the film. It really just a series of events that have no real connection. While it could be argued that it was all character building, I found it to be rather dull. My other complaint is the ending. I got the whole message of the film, but it's all wrapped up to quickly (quite ironic if you ask me.) It's a pretty abrupt ending, and I would have liked to see more time with Max's family.
Overall I good movie, and worth a watch especially if you've read the book.
December 16, 2013
Weird and gross movie.
It was weird because there were ugly creatures in the movie.
It was gross because whenever he hides. He goes insides the creatures mouth and comes out slobbery. Rated: PG 0.5 stars
December 6, 2010
A film about childhood for adults, effectively capturing the essence of what it means to be growing up. At times sweet and charming, but mostly dark and loaded with meaning and imagery, it is a wonderful journey nonetheless and a perfect match between director Spike Jonze and the timeless subject matter.
December 8, 2013
Bastante bonita, me gusto mucho.
May 29, 2013
This movie is awful.
November 28, 2013
I guess I just didnt get it.
September 12, 2011
Not even close to the tone of the original book, Jonze does his own thing with the story and his own thing is a brilliant analysis of childlike wonder and torment. This is the modern Max, and these are his modern monsters.
November 13, 2009
Great book! Hope the movie is good too.
The Movie King
October 7, 2013
Everyone in their lifetime has probably read the classic children's book Where the Wild Things Are, written by Maurice Sendak about a wild child who runs away to a strange land inhabited by wild creatures. When this film version was first announced, I was excited about it, but when I had heard about how divided it was (mostly about the fact that the story was a little darker), I held off on watching it. Thanks to a recommendation from a fellow friend on the RT community, I eventually decided to watch this to see where I would fall on the opinion of this divided film. And in my perspective, while it's by no means a cinematic masterpiece, Spike Jonze's take on this classic story is enjoyable and surprisingly heartfelt.

The film, like the book, is about a depressed, lonely, and obnoxious child named Max (Max Records). When he's tired of his family life, particularly his mother's (Catherine Keener) love life, Max runs away from home, finds himself a boat, and travels to the world of The Wild Things, a group of strange creatures who make the boy their king. The more Max is in this world, the more lonely Max feels about his mother.

Mark Ruffalo (before playing The Hulk in The Avengers) makes a small role as the mom's boyfriend, and the wild things are played by talented actors, such as James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara, Forest Whittaker, Chris Cooper, and Lauren Ambrose.

Coming from a fan of the classic book, this adaptation is pretty impressive. Director Spike Jonze successfully manages to create this fantastic world of the wild things. and it's pretty impressive, along with the cinematography in general. The criticism I've most heard about this film is how darker the story is. The scenes with Max and his mom were more emotionally intense and some of the moments with the creatures are nightmarishly freaky, particularly a moment where one wants to eat the little boy. But to be honest, I had no problem with these darker, more intense moments of the film. Would it have been PG-13 had it have been a little more darker? Yes. But I think the PG rating was accurate here, despite the darker moments. Spike Jonze admitted that he didn't intend to make this a children's film, but a film that influences the child in all of us. And I think that's what Jonze was trying to do, and I congratulate Jonze for the risks he made on these darker moments.

Child actors these days are a mixed bag. While children in Hollywood can be incredible in their young years and show potential in the future of the film industry (such actors include anyone involved in the Harry Potter films, Asa Butterfield, and Halle Steinfeld), most child actors today are just plain annoying (Noah Cyrus and every child involved in Super 8 (Elle Fanning was the sole exception). Where does Max Records fall into? Well, he falls into the list of potential in becoming a phenomenal Hollywood star. Seriously, Records could really act as Max. Call it luck that he played a character also named Max, but Records shows his emotions, anger, and loneliness without overacting the role like most child actors do today. Catherine Keener was also exceptional as Max's mom, and her scenes with Max are some of the best. The cast playing the wild things, including James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara, Forest Whittaker, Chris Cooper, and Lauren Ambrose, are all great in their voice roles, especially Gandolfini as Max's friend/buddy Carol (weird name for a male creature, but whatever) who helps Max out in "ruling" the land.

While I was impressed by the world of the Wild Things, the thing I wasn't too fond of where the visuals for the creatures themselves. I give the visual makers credit for making them look good, with the combination of CGI, puppetry, and actors in the suits. But there were some things where it didn't look that convincing, such as times where the creatures are playing around. It was like I was watching some weird psychedelic freakshow from the 1960's. The creations weren't horrific, but I wasn't completely satisfied. What annoyed me the most about the film was the music. While I liked the score itself (by Carter Burwell, who's emotionally sounded score was actually pretty good), what ruined it musically were the use of annoying pop songs which kind of ruined the dramatic flow of the heartfelt moments of the film. These songs might have worked in a comedy, but not in a film that's supposed to warm your heart.

I wasn't completely satisfied with the visual creations of the wild things, and the pop songs throughout are utterly annoying, but in the end, Where the Wild Things Are is nowhere as bad as some of the haters say it is. Yeah the film is darker than the book, but for the first time in a long while, after watching this film, I realized how great my childhood was and how imaginative I was. Like Max, what we can take out of this film is that childhood is an important factor in our lives. It's not perfect, but Spike Jonze's take did not disappoint.

Thank you Alex A. for the recommendation on this highly enjoyable film.
November 15, 2013
I gave it 3 stars in that it's a nice bed time story. but I've never seen the whole thing because I always fall asleep. but that's why I like it.
Tommy Wiseau
November 4, 2013
A very angry child runs away from home. He ends up in some woods; where he must have found and consumed some sort of magical mushroom. Max then feels the effects of them and hallucinates giant monsters. Max is also a complete jerk.

Moral of the story: Don't do drugs.

Never let your kids see this movie, it's kind of disturbing.
May 27, 2013
It is the finest playful storybook ever.
October 28, 2013
Really dissapointing, didnt get the hype around this one. Only good part was the song when Max sees the model of the land.
Green Gilmore
October 25, 2013
Very misunderstood film.
October 22, 2013
An incredible look at a child's psychology, Where the Wild Things Are is a very underrated movie, with great performances, memorable characters, and a very important moral that is also a very mature one to teach to kids.
March 13, 2013
Where The Wild Things Are takes a look at the complexities of childhood through a wonderfully acted, beautifully shot, and naturally real film.
Annie R.
October 17, 2013
The movie Where the Wild Things Are is about a boy named Max and his adventures in the land of the wild things. The movie starts with Max having a big fight with his mom and sailing off to the land of the wild things. When Max arrives, he meets several monsters like Carol and K.W. He becomes friends with them and all the other wild things who crown him the king. As king, Max has a wild rumpus where they go destroy trees, dance around, tackle each other and have fun. Eventually the wild things become unhappy with the job Max is doing as their king and Max becomes nervous that the wild things will discover he's just a boy pretending to be king. During this adventure, Max learns a lot from the wild things and discovers what is most important to him.

I think one of the major themes in the movie is that even if families disagree, love still exists and it's always important to forgive. Many toddlers and little kids grew up reading the famous children book written by Maurice Sendak, but in my opinion, the movie is not really appropriate for really young kids because there are some scary scenes. I think the movie is appropriate for kids 10 and up. The director did a great job of expanding the ideas from the book and reading between the lines and going into a lot more detail in the movie. He really showed the monsters personalities and stayed true to the story from the book.

I would give the movie an 8.5 out of 10 because it stayed true to the book, was very well acted and made the viewer feel many different feelings throughout the movie but I would definitely not recommend the movie to kids younger than 10 years old.