Whip It Reviews

September 29, 2009
I completely loved this movie. Ellen Page is one of the best young actresses out there! A fun ensemble cast help tells the story of the misunderstood teen who finds her escape in roller derby. Drew Barrymore directorial debut simply rocks!
May 18, 2014
It's obscurely humorous and heartfelt. Drew Barrymore's directorial debut is impressive and awkwardly stylish. Whip It supplies just enough in its envisioning tale and overall attitude to make this an intriguing coming-of-age story. 4/5
September 5, 2010
Oh that Drew Barrymore can do anything...
January 28, 2012
Whip It have a nice team of actors, especially the 'return' of Daniel Stern. Drew Barrymore's debut in direction, however bring cliches of a typical teen romantic comedy and make her movie look a mix of 'Juno', 'Footloose' and 'Thank God It's Friday'.
YodaMasterJedi
October 1, 2009
three stars
½ November 3, 2011
Despite the barrage of plot cliches and numerous jokes that fall flat, Whip It is saved by another brilliant Ellen Page performance, as well as a good soundtrack and some interesting direction here and there (courtesy of first-time director Drew Barrymore)
½ May 17, 2011
At times it feels like a classic fairytale told in a contemporary setting. It's so full of charm and enthusiasm that you often forget the cliches of the whole "adolescent finding herself" storyline. Barrymore's debut into direction couldn't have really ended better.
TheDudeLebowski65
April 3, 2011
I didn't expect much from Whip it, I must admit that I was surprised that I enjoyed it. Directed by Drew Barrymore, this film is surprisingly good, funny and entertaining. Considering that this is directed by Drew Barrymore (an actress whom I never really was fond of), this film is fairly accomplished. Ellen Page is great in the film, and shes come a long way since her days in Juno ( a film that I've despised and found it extremely overrated) Page is simply getting better with every role she's taking and Whip it and Inception proves it. Whip It tells the story about a girl who wants to find an outlet of which she wants to belong. She is forced to participate in beauty pageants, but it's clear her heart is elsewhere. She one day sees a bunch of roller blading girls that are distribute flyers to a roller derby. She attends and falls in love with what she sees. She starts roller blading and tries out for the team. Throughout the film she finally finds something she truly enjoys. What I love the most about this film is that it has charm. The humour is whimsical and the characters are likeable. Whip It is a fun comedy that will appeal to anyone. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and this one of Ellen Page's best roles. Considering that Drew Barrymore made this film, this is very good, I did not expect the film to be this good, but it was. Whip It along with Adventureland is one of the best coming of age comedies there is. The only difference is that the cast here are slightly better than in Adventureland. Whip It will most likely surprise you, as it did to me.
puffchunk
½ February 3, 2011
I'm not a fan of sports movies, but this one was pretty great. Roller derby in general is neat, and for some reason I like Ellen Page more and more every time I see her in a movie. Good story. I liked how there was a happy ending in the way that is realistic, and not in the way that all other predictable sports movies end.
theunknownhobo
½ November 16, 2010
I was not convinced I would like this film, but despite a few irritating segments overall I thought it was witty and original, taking on the fundamentals of the cult of roller derby in a middle of nowhere town in Texas. Again Ellen Page thrives in her usual role as an indie teenager waiting to break free of her shackles. The more I see of her work the more I appreciate her as an actress and an artist, making her roles so realistic that they are hard to disbelieve. A good start for Drew Barrymore's career behind the camera although she also thrived on screen in this one too. A soon to be classic with a good soundtrack and a nice vibe.
½ November 24, 2010
Its your typical cheesy feel good sports movie that has been made a million times over.
FiLmCrAzY
April 23, 2010
I absolutely love this movie, its amazing, its hilarious and really worth the watch, its a good coming of age film thats just brilliantly written and wonderfully acted that you just cant help and full in love with this movie.
Drew Barrymore made a fantastic directional debut with a fantastic movie, really worth the watch with a great cast and great comic humour!
April 4, 2010
More than just a teen comedy, it's also a hipster revolution tucked inside a coming of age story with a killer soundtrack and some of the best actors working in Hollywood today.
skactopus
½ October 6, 2010
Drew Barrymore's Whip It, which stems from Shauna Cross' novel, whips Ellen Page into shape and mildly entertains.At nearly 1 hour and 45 minutes, the predictable story is a mixed bag of fun and drama. Yes, there is the roller derby, but there are many parts between these portions that are tedious and uneventful, although this is where most of the meat to the story lies.The roller derby segments aren't as big as the title makes it seem, which is a disappointment because these are the most entertaining and enjoyable moments of the film. The matches aren't intense, or extensively violent for that matter, but the characters associated with the league are a pleasure to watch. As for the rules, there is enough high level explanation to grasp the sport, but there isn't much in the way of details.The casting and acting are a huge positive as Ellen Page has no problem taking the lead. The cast for the Hurl Cats derby team are also a delight. The only problem is that they are underdeveloped and not utilized enough outside of the derby.Whip It is a long ways away from a bad movie. It just lacks consistent entertainment value from start to finish to really become a masterpiece.
½ August 10, 2009
Whip It is more predictable than The Hulk on PCP, but nowhere nearly as entertaining. The roller derby scenes were kind of exciting but that's about it. Andrew Wilson (the 3rd Wilson brother and one of the few high points of this movie) has a line about celebrating mediocrity and that's exactly what Whip It does. It throws a somewhat decent cast in front of you but gives you very little incentive to give a shit. The story falls apart during the predictable last act and Drew Barrymore's direction is right on par with her character -- dopey and ignorable. I see why she went with a story like this for her debut, but Whip It was just a big pile of ehh. More drinking game fodder than anything...
MeetMeinMontauk
September 7, 2010
I read the script a few months back at my internship and HAD to see it after that. I really didn't think it was all that bad! First of all, I got a huge kick out of seeing bits of Austin (where I'm from) but I think it was translated over to film rather well! I love me some fast paced action so I was all for it! And Daniel Stern (whom I adore) and Marcia Gay Harden (whom I also adore!) were fantastic. And when is Ellen Page not fantastic, please, I'd like to know. :)
September 30, 2009
This was an amusing way to spend a few hours.
½ July 25, 2010
Cute teeny movie.... more for girls. Nothing great but it was pass some time and maybe even laugh a couple good times.
movieguru12
September 30, 2009
Great movie. Drew Barrymore did a good job on directing this movie. It was really good & Ellen Page was great in this movie as was Drew Barrymore & Kristen Wiig :) I really enjoyed this one :)
July 24, 2010
Whip It is the kind of movie that keeps you going on a ride of laughter and emotion. A story of a girl roller-skating could not have been told any different than the way it was told here. This movie has loads of heart and soul and I will never forget how moving a small story of a girl roller-skating can become. Amazing!