White Nights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Nights Reviews

½ March 24, 2014
Jerzy Skolimowski is excellent. Great villain. Hines' soliloquy is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. A predictably hollow diatribe about Nixon forcing him to rape women, or something. Pure idiocy. Until it becomes a pretty awesomely patriotic old war movie, replete with '80s inspiration songs, by artists such as Chaka Khan.
June 16, 2013
Decent film about a man who fled his country, but by an accident on a plane he is on, is forced to land back in that country and he is promptly arrested and sent to live with an American man who defected during the Vietnam War and is being held as well. One man dances, the other taps...and I'm not really sure why they wanted them to dance in some show. Maybe it was explained, but it seemed quite silly.

The dancing is pretty great, for two dudes doing it, and Hines is really good at it and singing as well: something I never knew. But every time they break down in a dude dance, it reminded me of that hilarious Kevin Bacon dance in Footloose!!!

There's another side plot with a woman friend of the lead guy pleading for the Americans to help rescue her friend. There are two of them in particular, and they make they bumbling idiots for the most part. Glover is such a dummy in this. To be fair they make the Russians overly villainous.

Rossellini is quite good here in her first role, but Mirren seems so blah considering how awesome she can be in other films.

The song they play over the end credits, SAY YOU, SAY ME by Lionel Richie, won Best Song, but I still think there were at least six better songs that year.
½ May 27, 2013
The plot of White Nights is well-planned, the script neatly written and two relatively unknown actors as the lead men - Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines - carry this feature well. The end result is a touching, funny drama with a romantic edge. Helen Mirren is stunning!
March 10, 2013
Hello everyone!!! Can someone please let me know where can i found this movie? It s too old fro my video-club and can not find it in torrents :/ :/ :/
Thanks in advance!
½ January 27, 2013
Starred Gregory Hines, and some female In russia as ballet dancers. A sort of love story.
December 4, 2012
Yes this seems a contrived vehicle for Baryshnikov, but has so many wonderful actors/actresses that it doesn't matter. Worth seeing just for the soundtrack and the incredible dancing. I loved the opening skit! When the actual ending came, I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be.
November 5, 2012
White Nights is an interesting dance flick, different from many other dance films that contains many implications and understatements.
½ October 4, 2012
Per daug politikos ir per maai okio, nors labai nuobodu nebuvo.
June 29, 2012
Friday, June 29, 2012

(1985) White Nights
DRAMA/ THRILLER

The kind of movie that is adapted around it's two central characters of Mikhail Baryshnikov as Nicolai and Gregory Hines as Raymond similar to action films which involves a planned escape out of Stalin- like controlled Russia. Nicolai is a famous ballet dancer and somehow becomes trapped while flying over Russia, because he's a renown ballet dancer and is during the Cold War, the gov't somehow controls where to dance, and while there meets tap dancer Raymond who has his own problems but agrees to help and aid for an escape.

Almost like a semi-autobiography of actual ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov which the dancing can be graceful and emotionally felt upon watching it, and seeing Gregory Hines was a treat- one of his more memorable roles as a down and out tapper. Watching some of the dancing sequences coincide with politics in harsh communism Russia was somewhat of a learning experience. "Say you Say Me" was a hit song for Lionel Ritchie.

3 out of 4
September 6, 2012
It obviously sounded like a great idea to someone, getting two of the best contemporary dancers together in one film. Their styles are different, but no one would argue that Gregory Hines and Mikail Baryshnikov are amazing at what they do. Unfortunately, "White Nights" is the film that brings them together, and while it is immensely watchable, it is also terribly silly and contrived.

I was hooked right from the beginning with an airline disaster returning Baryshnikov to Russia, but the story becomes more of a soap opera the longer it goes on. And much like soap operas, it's quite entertaining but this project should have been a lot more compelling. It's rather difficult to get over the basic premise; that a defected Russian dancer is forced to room with a defected American dancer, but I could accept that and get on with the rest of the film. The problem is that the rest of it is only marginally easier to swallow that that impractical set-up.

The two stars are surprisingly believable in their roles, strong enough in fact to carry the entire picture quite effortlessly. They naturally shine, however, in the dance umbers that are peppered into this preposterous Cold War plot. Watching them move is hypnotizing, and it's enough to forgive the weak plot that forces them unnaturally together. There's little other reason to see this.

The two women in the film, Helen Mirren and Isabella Rossellini, are merely there to react to things going on around them, and film director Jerzy Skolimowski is hilariously absurd as the Russian Colonel. "White Nights" is a fairly entertaining throwback to a bygone era in film, but it should have been so much more than that.
May 12, 2012
Saw it years ago, wasnt too impressed. Cant even remember much about it something about politics and dancing!
April 16, 2012
the dancing is amazing in this movie that one scene i could watch again and again.
½ March 2, 2012
started out really boring and somewhat confusing and LONG ... but it picked up in the third act and actually became somewhat interesting.
½ July 12, 2006
This movie has a fun really entertaining scenes (the duo dance scene was absolutely marvelous) but overall, it doesn't know what it wants to be - a thriller, a political drama, an inspirational dance movie... It jumps all over the place and doesn't ever really land anywhere for long.
½ December 26, 2010
The movie is dated and the plotlines not very good, but it is still great to watch the dance scenes. I do think this movie is a good example at just how absurd the cold war was.

Quite a campy picture 25 years on.
½ October 27, 2010
What an awful story, just plain ridiculous.
ka
April 20, 2010
In years to come we'll hopefully laugh at how stupid humanity was to allow things like the Cold War to occur. This film reflects just how much that time was dominated by pathetic regimes and ideologies.

The film itself is nicely done, although it would have benefitted from being 20-30 minutes shorter. Baryshnikov's dance sequence over the opening credits and his incredibly controlled dance spins in order to win a bet with Hines, are to be marvelled at and repeatedly enjoyed with the rewind button. Hines supports very well and you can see he marvels at Baryshnikov's dancing as well. The 2 of them are unlikely companions that work surprisingly well on screen. With the Cold War thankfully gone, this movie dates a bit, but there aren't many like it.
½ April 20, 2010
Great dancing in a terrible script.
January 28, 2010
dancing!! favourite 5 minutes of dancing by gregroy hines and mikhail baryshinkov
½ June 11, 2009
This is a great story. I love the dancing and the music. The ending will break your heart.