• R, 1 hr. 55 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

White Men Can't Jump Reviews

Dan S

October 25, 2009
An entertaining, if repetitive and pretty predictable, story concerning a talented white basketball player (Woody Harrelson) who creatively exploits the stereotype that white men being not as good as black men at basketball in the form of hustling streetballers. After he catches the eye of a talented black baller (Wesley Snipes), the two form a partnership and attempt to hustle as much as they can together. As said, it's definitely flawed, but you can't deny how much fun it is for a large chunk of the duration. It does not give us a storybook ending by any means either, which is a nice surprise, and the characters are detailed just enough for you to care about them and root for them. Harrelson is solid and Snipes is utterly fantastic and never been better.
Eugene B

July 27, 2012
Witty and filled with surprises and laughter. Snipes and Harrelson make a great two-man power-trip on the blacktop. With a smart story, but simplified plot, the film scores. Although not a slam-dunk, still enough to get the win. 4/5
Ross C

December 3, 2011
Classic Hollywood comic drama affair, with Ali G like humour - "is it cos I is white?". Snipes and Harrelson have a great chemistry that make for fun basketball hustling scenes with the slick dialogue.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

June 22, 2011
Pretty much a film with nothing but reverse racism throughout. 2 Stars
Spencer S

August 4, 2010
A film that's based on race relations, basketball, and love between two couples, White Men comes out gnarled and hokey at times, but is a great buddy comedy. Snipes is always entertaining with his brash comedy and languid dramatic turns, while Harrelson looks corn fed but acts in the most outlandish and dorky fashion possible. Every character is down to earth, or at least has an ego that lands them in trouble with their gambling debts on the court. Not a wide scope when it comes to the world of hustling, the film focuses more on the relationship between Sidney and Billy, divided by race and their own foolish pride, yet complement each other with basketball and a general give and take. It has its moments, but overall there was no true message or clear ending, other than a "black people go like this, white people go like this," mentality and a laundry list of peculiarities.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 9, 2007
we goin to sizzler. i love this flick
YodaMasterJedi

July 24, 2010
B-
Anthony L

April 16, 2010
Yes we can, we just don't want to. Not a bad comedy but not as good as I remembered it on a recent re-watch!
Daniel P

April 24, 2007
An incredibly dated movie that may just be stronger for it. I'm not exactly sure what this film's magnetism is, but it's not as good of a movie as it feels like. The first half is way more fun than the second, as, in the latter half, one plot piece falls into place after another to the point where you're almost saying what next. Harrelson and Snipes play a great pair of co-dependents, though, both of them too proud (or stupid) to back down, always believing they can come through when it's all on the line. Enjoyable film, all in all, elements of Spike Lee and Scorsese but still pretty fun: hilarious smack-talk on the court too... I'm not sure if every catch-phrase of the year was stuffed into this movie, or if this movie created every catch phrase of 1992. I still remember all of them from playing ball with my friends growing up...
Ping C

January 13, 2010
Truly fantastic. Whenever this movie comes up on basic cable, I drop everything and watch it. As a result, I have probably seen White Men Can't Jump and 'My Cousin Vinny' more times than just about any other films ever.
FilmFanatik

December 13, 2009
This was so funny.
Jason O

September 8, 2009
"White Men Can't Jump" is a pretty good movie. Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson both have their lives fall apart in some way after they lose all their money, and all they have to turn to for help is being basketball hustlers and working as a team at that.
"White Men Can't Jump" does have a few funny parts to it, but it doesn't have as much comedy as you might think. Snipes and Harrelson both discover the highs and lows of being basketball hustlers while they show their skills on the basketball courts and in life. The basketball sequences of the movie are somewhat exciting, but they're not the best parts of the movie. However, the movie did keep me interested the whole time I was watching it. If you like basketball movies or if you just want to see an alright movie, I would recommend watching "White Men Can't Jump." You'll find out one thing from watching it at least, some white men can jump. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Surprised I didn't like this one more, as much as I love basketball, and I like the actors in the movie, but not one of their shining moments to me.
kpn666
kpn666

May 15, 2007
I dont care what anyone else says, this a classic, the movie which made Wesley and Woody household names.

Wesley is Sidney, the best player on the Court, hustling any player stupid enough to take him on, until he gets owned by Blly, a former College playerat his own game. Realising the talent and potential of the hustle, oth team up to take on the Courts around L.A., Billy to pay off his gambling debts and Sidney trying to move his family out of the ghetto.

So they become the most dsyfunctional partnership the game has ever seen... in the midst of hustling, wisecracking and dodging gangsters and debts, they form a unlikley friendship through the love of basketball and their respect for each others skills.

Funny, super fast and never slowing down, its a classic. Once you wach it, you would realise many future comedies take some of the elements from this interracial comedy into their own, so it did set a lot of standards for movies to come.

And the two leads are excellent, its really them on the court with all the skills and flash of semi-pro b-ballers.

Excellent!
Lady D

February 28, 2007
A fun film to watch over and over with enough ?yo mamma? jokes to keep you chuckling throughout.

Snipes and Harrelson make a great comedy partnership and this movie of basketball, hustling, friendship and love never tires.

A little dated in looks now perhaps, but certainly one of my favourite films of that time.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A good funny buddy movie film.
Tim S

April 27, 2008
I love this movie because it inspired me to play basketball. I also hate this movie because it inspired Woody and Wesley to do Money Train.
Stephen M

December 24, 2007
As a rule I can't stand sports movies but I remember this one being pretty good. Still waiting for the sequel: "Black Men Can't Swim".