White Squall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Squall Reviews

ScoopOnline
December 16, 2009
The strongest force in nature is the will to survive.
September 14, 2009
A group of teenage boys learn discipline, courage, and what it's like to stick together as a unit as they aboard the Albatross and ride it out into the great wide open in the Caribbean. Whether they're there because their parents want them to grow up and learn responsibility, or whether they're there because they want to be, they will all learn the comraderie, the hardships, and everything else that goes along with traveling to sea. All of the good and the bad must come together when the Albatross runs into a white squall, a MAJOR storm at sea.
How could anybody not love "White Squall"? There are a lot of great movies about going out to sea, and "White Squall" is up there with the best of them. It's not like "Crimson Tide", "U-571", and those; it's a spectacular coming of age film that has nothing to do with war. Scott Wolf, Ryan Phillippe, and the rest of the crew do a good job of acting, and Jeff Bridges does the best of all in portraying the sternness, yet warm-hearted character that is the Skipper.

If you're a fan of coming of age movies like "Stand By Me", and if you like very entertaining movies that explore the hardships of life to a tee, get "White Squall" right NOW! It's one of the best movies you've never heard of. Example line from the movie: "I don't want it to end. I don't want to go back to what I was before I came here: anonymous." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2002.
garyX
May 13, 2007
One of Ridley Scott's less interesting offerings, this ocean bound adventure is typically nicely shot, but the onboard soulsearching is contrived and uninteresting. An interest in and knowledge of sailing would probably help. But I have neither.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 22, 2007
great movie, jeff bridges was really good
½ June 5, 2008
I loved this classic movie of a man turning boys to men in this classic pic of boating adventure. It's good.
½ April 3, 2009
Too much melodrama, not enough squall
½ January 8, 2016
This tragic story is a look at boys learning to sail in another era. I don't think it's done like this anymore. Being based on an actual sailing and sinking makes it more interesting, and more tragic.
July 7, 2013
Coming of age film where school is located on a sailboat. Entertaining but flawed. The film takes a long build-up to the big storm scene and then fizzles. The most exciting part of the movies is over in a moment and there was no suspenseful clues so that the storm scene comes and goes quickly without warning. Then the rest of the movie tries to find a way to end the story neatly including the requisite main character voice over epilogue. A formula movie with interesting acting that ultimately dies from the script.
February 24, 2013
Man I've always had a fear of drowning or burning ... This movie is very intense! Good acting from young talent during this time also.
January 25, 2013
A really good adventure film....the storm shots weren't done digitally and are great (watch the "extras"). Some "Hollywood" script "corn" (eg. the dialogue mongst the young men) doesn't seem to diminish the film seriously.
November 5, 2012
Its about a boat that sinks and not everyone dies, no its not Titanic or even the Edmund Fitzgerald those were ships, this is a boat with about 10 people on it. Jeff Bridges is very good but this true story about a group of rich parents sending their kids on this trip to get their act together run flat and dry even during the squall.
½ August 3, 2012
Jeff Bridges' 1996 starring vehicle, White Squall, was originally marketed as an action movie. But the reality of this high seas story is that it is a coming of age story for a group of young men aboard a windjammer. That's not entirely a bad thing, though. While most of the movie's marketing is centered around the story's final climactic storm scene, it's the story itself that makes this movie worth the watch.

Writer Todd Robinson's adaptation of Charles Gieg, Jr. and Felix Sutton's book The Last Voyage of the Albatross, will keep its audience's attention for its entire two hour and seven minute run time. As the young men are learning the basics of seamanship before heading out of port, Robinson foreshadows the troubles to come when one of them comes far too close to accidentally hanging himself. It rather contradicts the belief that the albatross is a good luck charm. For those that may not know, this is a direct reference to Samuel Ttaylor Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Rather than having good luck, the young men have to face Cuban miltiary forces on their way to the infamous Bay of Pigs and even an unstable crewmate who does something so terrible that it makes Sheldon (Jeff Bridges) throw him off of the boat. They also have to get shots for STD's after their encounters with a group of Dutch girls to whom they play host to for a short while. Through it all, the crew becomes close friends, and grow to be men during their voyage, helping to save each other in the final climactic storm scene.

The only real major downside to this entire movie would be that after the final storm scene, the story drags on for roughly another twenty minutes or so that it didn't need. Other than that, White Squall is a good action/drama that still holds its own over fifteen years after its original debut.
½ April 1, 2012
A solid cast is led by Jeff Bridges in this white knuckle thriller based off of a real life tragedy at sea.
February 17, 2012
A watchable adventure film about growing up, leadership, survival & brotherhood. White Squall has some very stirring material. Jeff Bridges is superb as usual.
August 30, 2011
Jeff Bridge plays his character so tough and strong as the captain of a school sailing ship that it hits that much harder when his vulnerabilities finally show through. Great performance. I think this is the shortest that JB's hair has ever been.
½ September 8, 2010
Very heartfelt and some sad parts too, an amazing true story movie that keeps you together as you hope they all pull together as one. Jeff Bridges, Scott Wolf and the rest do outstanding performances
July 14, 2010
It is Dead Poets Society on a boat, which pretty much guarantees that I'll like it. Still, this is one of those underrated classics, well worth your time if you enjoy coming of age stories mixed with high seas adventure.
½ July 9, 2008
Based on a true story, it's a good story about growing up and becoming a team. It's an old-fashioned, melodramatic movie about a bunch of kids with family and personal issues. Well, directed and Jeff Bridges did a nice job. Great cinematography, makes me want to go on a sea voyage. I think it's cool that the captain continued to travel after wards by directing in Latin America for the Peace Corps.
April 13, 2010
I know what you're thinking: Jeff Bridges on a boat. Sick. Must be an awesome movie.
But guess what, you're wrong. Unfortunately, someone decided it would be a good idea if he goes on a boat with a bunch of faggots.

The kids in this movie act like little girls! It pisses me off so much and it will piss you off too. Take this for example: one kid shoots a dolphin with a spear. Jeff Bridges (His name isn't Skipper, dammit!) takes the wounded dolphin onboard (it's very fake) and the kid doesn't even finish it off when Jeff Bridges tells him to, so Jeff Bridges has to kill the dolphin. Way to go jackass!

The movie is completely formless, too. There's supposed to be a main character but I couldn't figure out why he was any more significant than the other kids. You'll lose track of him pretty easily. Jeff Bridges is the only person worth paying attention to on the screen.

Here's the plot: Go on a ship, act like a bunch of little girls, land on some random island, dance around it like they're tribe members (seriously, that's what they do), then set sail back home the next day. You'll NEVER guess what happens next... they hit a white squall!

If Jeff Bridges died in the movie I would have given it ZERO PERCENT. But if all the kids died during the white squall but Jeff Bridges was the only one to survive I probably would have given it somewhere around 90% because it would be so worth it to watch these kids die.

One last thing, everyone in the movie is obsessed with the word albatross. Yeah, it's the name of the boat, but come on. They just like saying it.

So make sure when you want to pick up a movie with Jeff Bridges in it, make sure the other people in the film are cool too.
January 17, 2010
Young Boys Become Men !! White Squall" is the true story of a ship school called the "Albatross." Thees young men Set Out For the Best Expirience Of Their Life .. And Tragedy Strikes.. This Film Poured Out Of My Tv Onto My Floor And Left Me Drenched in Emotion!