Who Killed the Electric Car? Reviews

September 19, 2006
Movies to Feel Guilty To, Volume Seven. It's strange, as a child I DO remember electric cars around, but I never gave much thought to what happened to them, if anything. I didn't realize they had actually been actively killed by various forces, lobbies and interests. Grrr. This is a very good, well-researched, engaging and informative documentary that makes you care about eco-infrastructure and want to get involved. I am very glad I saw this, and I ended up seeing it twice.
March 2, 2007
I thought it was pretty interesting and well put together.
October 25, 2006
Who Killed the Electric Car starts off interesting but after about the first 20 minutes just generally keeps retreading the same 3 or 4 points. Martin Sheen's narration doesn't quite fit either--it's like he had a mouthful of Werther's Originals in his mouth while he recorded it. This documentary is definitely informative when it doesn't dwell on annoying activists who love the sound of their own voices. The United States as a country is poisoned by the greed of the oil and automotive industry, we get it. It sucks but stalking a car you used to drive in a losing battle is just creepy and weird. The Phyllis Diller bit at the beginning was perplexing to me but Mel Gibson's attempt to look like Moses with the Sweetest Beard Ever (it looked like he had a big white tongue!) hypnotized me. But probably what surprised me the most was that none of the people in this documentary referred to the electric car as Jesus. I mean, they may as well have. This movie made me want to buy a Hummer at the end. It annoyed me that much...
½ November 18, 2007
A really great documentary showing how money controls everything and how America is filled with zombies that buy what big business tells us to buy.
January 14, 2007
A thoroughly entertaining documentary about California's adoption and later assassination of the electric car - it even made me want to buy a Saturn EV1. Seriously it's a worring look a current US politics.
January 9, 2013
Very interesting film on the alleged destruction of the electric car by GM. Interestingly enough, I think this was the last time that Mel Gibson appeared in something and was thought of as a hero. I'm more convinced however that the electric car was originally killed because of a lack of infrastructure rather than because of the oil industry. The electric car has returned in some form of course but the infrastructure issues continue.
August 27, 2007
It shows how this was not a partisan shutdown or one side vs. another. Big money simply did the talking at the expense of the average American taxpayer,who could desperately use a car like this. Especially with gass prices the way they are.
July 22, 2006
11/29/06: I had definitely never heard about these electric cars; I was practically in tears watching these beautiful, spotless cars being crushed for no reason. A neat documentary, though it could certainly have been better. But that is the lot of the documentary I suppose. More charming and approachable than Gore's 'An Inconvenient Truth,' and certainly less of a head-on shocker; in that way it made more of a change in me than 'Truth.' I salute the filmmakers.
December 21, 2008
A very informative documentary.Why would the government allow an electric car and then they would lose money on gas prices?
April 21, 2007
I liked this movie because it was not afraid to let us laugh, even at these quirky car owners.
September 2, 2007
Anyone who does not watch this movie is doing a huge disservice to themselves. I'm lending this movie to everyone I know!
June 6, 2007
This documentary isn't great for it's filmmaking - it needs to be seen for the subject matter - electric cars exist and we could all be driving them now while saving ourselves and the planet from imminent destruction.
½ June 20, 2010
It is a very relevant and important subject of a documentary with good content. This film did a good job of looking at the issue from several different angles that seem well researched. The answer to the question in the title is startling and makes one incredibly disillusioned in our political leaders and corporate motives. This film shows just how many powerful people will fight a progressive idea in order to maintain the statuesque for their individual benefit. It is a very well done documentary.
June 8, 2007
If youve ever thought the oil companies, the car companies and the energy companies have no soul and are hell bent on destroying our planet while they live high on the hog.....you'll love this movie. You'll also want to tear your hair out! GM sucks.
½ September 4, 2009
A great documentary mainly about those whole leased the GM EV-1 back in the 90s and fell in love with them. Then, when the lease was up GM took the cars back and did not offer them for sale anywhere. The vast majority were crushed with a few remaining disabled ones saved for collections and museums. The same thing happened wit other car manufacturer's similar cars - destroyed even though the divers loved them for their efficiency, quietness, power etc. The documentary looks at the politics and monetary ties that caused these cars to be pulled from the market and destroyed and why we have not seen a true resurgence. The cars always had a waiting list, so the demand was there. In fact, when some former EV-1 drivers found the lot where their cars were being stored, they offered to buy them outright from GM (with more buyers than cars, creating a waiting list for a car never to produced again), but GM outright refused. Mel Gibson, Ed Begely Jr, and other former EV-1 drivers were interviewed for this sad tale of politics dictating the marketplace.
July 7, 2009
Interesting, but a little too conspiracy driven for my tastes. I certainly understand the need for an electric car given our current environmental situation, but it seems without mass acceptance (read: establishment of tons of charging stations all over the U.S. like gas stations now), I don't see it as a valid option right now. Down the line in a slow roll out with a start with hybrids, for sure, but not all at once. I will say the way the car companies handled it was utterly ridiculous, though.
April 28, 2009
A very interesting yet not surprising look at the rise and fall of the electric vehicle, hopefully one day the government and oil companies will realize that this thing is needed, and their greed can be put on the shelf for the sake of the planet.
February 25, 2009
I have recommended this film to many people because it brings up some very important points about the oil industry. I find it quite disturbing that there is really no market for electric cars; but we can only hope that this alternative will be fully explored in the years to come.
January 24, 2009
A very well put together film dealing with a topic that has always been important to me. I found myself energized and drawn in by the facts and arguments presented in this documentary. My passion for a cleaner, greener world has grown considerably due to movies such as this. Anyone who is an avid environmentalist, or if you are still unsure where you stand on the issue of greenhouse gasses, etc., should sit down and watch this film. It will open your eyes to what is really going on.