Who Killed the Electric Car? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who Killed the Electric Car? Reviews

September 19, 2006
Movies to Feel Guilty To, Volume Seven. It's strange, as a child I DO remember electric cars around, but I never gave much thought to what happened to them, if anything. I didn't realize they had actually been actively killed by various forces, lobbies and interests. Grrr. This is a very good, well-researched, engaging and informative documentary that makes you care about eco-infrastructure and want to get involved. I am very glad I saw this, and I ended up seeing it twice.
March 2, 2007
I thought it was pretty interesting and well put together.
October 25, 2006
Who Killed the Electric Car starts off interesting but after about the first 20 minutes just generally keeps retreading the same 3 or 4 points. Martin Sheen's narration doesn't quite fit either--it's like he had a mouthful of Werther's Originals in his mouth while he recorded it. This documentary is definitely informative when it doesn't dwell on annoying activists who love the sound of their own voices. The United States as a country is poisoned by the greed of the oil and automotive industry, we get it. It sucks but stalking a car you used to drive in a losing battle is just creepy and weird. The Phyllis Diller bit at the beginning was perplexing to me but Mel Gibson's attempt to look like Moses with the Sweetest Beard Ever (it looked like he had a big white tongue!) hypnotized me. But probably what surprised me the most was that none of the people in this documentary referred to the electric car as Jesus. I mean, they may as well have. This movie made me want to buy a Hummer at the end. It annoyed me that much...
½ November 18, 2007
A really great documentary showing how money controls everything and how America is filled with zombies that buy what big business tells us to buy.
January 14, 2007
A thoroughly entertaining documentary about California's adoption and later assassination of the electric car - it even made me want to buy a Saturn EV1. Seriously it's a worring look a current US politics.
January 9, 2013
Very interesting film on the alleged destruction of the electric car by GM. Interestingly enough, I think this was the last time that Mel Gibson appeared in something and was thought of as a hero. I'm more convinced however that the electric car was originally killed because of a lack of infrastructure rather than because of the oil industry. The electric car has returned in some form of course but the infrastructure issues continue.
August 27, 2007
It shows how this was not a partisan shutdown or one side vs. another. Big money simply did the talking at the expense of the average American taxpayer,who could desperately use a car like this. Especially with gass prices the way they are.
July 22, 2006
11/29/06: I had definitely never heard about these electric cars; I was practically in tears watching these beautiful, spotless cars being crushed for no reason. A neat documentary, though it could certainly have been better. But that is the lot of the documentary I suppose. More charming and approachable than Gore's 'An Inconvenient Truth,' and certainly less of a head-on shocker; in that way it made more of a change in me than 'Truth.' I salute the filmmakers.
December 21, 2008
A very informative documentary.Why would the government allow an electric car and then they would lose money on gas prices?
April 21, 2007
I liked this movie because it was not afraid to let us laugh, even at these quirky car owners.
September 2, 2007
Anyone who does not watch this movie is doing a huge disservice to themselves. I'm lending this movie to everyone I know!
June 6, 2007
This documentary isn't great for it's filmmaking - it needs to be seen for the subject matter - electric cars exist and we could all be driving them now while saving ourselves and the planet from imminent destruction.
½ September 19, 2015
This movie pissed me off and gets you thinking....the sign off a great documentary.Thank god they only where able to put it off some and not actually kill it,
½ July 14, 2008
WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR (2006) tries to persuade its audience that quality zero emissions vehicles are not only viable, they've already been made. General Motor's EV1 was a limited release electric car that hit the market in the 90's, only to disappear inexplicably a few years later. Several culprits are fingered, including the oil industry (which stood to lose billions in future profits,) the goverment (which joined in a lawsuit against California to fight against its zero emissions vehicle laws, eventually causing the state to remove electric cars from the list of vehicles which met the ZEV requirements,) and GM itself (which never actually sold the vehicles...it leased them out, then repossessed them when the leases expired, claiming that the vehicles had been a failure.) Several former owners are interviewed, most of them with glowing reviews of the vehicle's performance.

Overall, the argument is strong, but WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR suffers from one major defect...it lacks a solid counter-argument to the points it raises. Still, it lays enough groundwork to convince me that the United States is not doing enough to stem the tide of air pollution caused by vehicle emissions.
January 8, 2013
A subject that needs periodic revisiting, in spite of the American love affair with all things motorized.
October 30, 2009
In case you need another reason to hate the automobile industry other than their big government bail outs, overcharging consumers buying cars, and laying off employees in the us, here's another reason. Lets face it they get a bad rep and sometimes deservedly. In all respect though, the movie doesn't just blame these big companies. In fact the movie even points the finger at us the consumer for being ignorant and flaky as to why the electric car was stopped. Basically the movie just reinforced to me why I should get a hybrid. Some facts it leaves out like how much did this electric car actually cost? I'm sure there is more reasons why the car companies didn't mass produce them other than greed like the costs of the batteries being very expensive or how much they cost to make and I feel their is more to this story than what's presented (too one-sided n predictable). Nonetheless, it does led to a great discussion and the movie was well done with lots of facts and interviews. I heard a lot about this movie and is worth a watch especially as oil prices increase and this source continues to run out. What makes me wonder though is I thought there are still electric cars out there bc I've heard of them and I would like to know more about them. Sweet cameo by Gibson talking and looking weird as usual lately. The one lady seemed a bit obsessive about her car, but I do feel bad for her.
July 8, 2012
The premise behind the movie is really quite cool, and the information given is well worth watching, however, it is just a very dull documentary... not really recorded with any interesting anything going on... Watch it if you have 2 hours to kill and want to learn something else crappy about the government.
April 29, 2012
A good documentary. It showed what the problem was, how it came about, why is it still not solved, and what we can do about it and it's future. The problem with this film was that it had only a small amount of people with opposing viewpoints talking (maybe 5 minutes total was people with opposing views talking). Overall something you should watch to see how greed affects our lives and how we consumers need to be informed.
½ March 30, 2012
Well meaning but preachy documentary movie. Part of the horrible fad of American low budget films with a message that tell you what you should already know as a human being with an interest in the world around you. Very little original material, some insight but ultimately it's like being lectured as a child.