The Who: The Kids Are Alright Reviews

½ October 14, 2013
My friends call me Keith, you can call me John.
May 10, 2013
As far as music documentaries go, this is effective in its simplest form, as widely constructed with the use of archive footage from concerts, tv show appearences and interviews we see the evolution of The Who, one of the most famous and one of the best rock and roll bands ever. To top it off, there are specially filmed performances including a beautifully shot performance of their famour hit 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. A priceless primary source based document on pop music culture, obviously filled with some amazing music.
½ November 5, 2012
.Right inbetween "Woodstock" and "The Last Waltz", this movie is the definition of rock and roll and deserves its notoriety as perhaps the great rock movie of the 20th century.
August 22, 2012
One of the best rock doc's out there with great music from one of the greatest rock groups of all time
November 11, 2011
The musical performances are incredible, but I desperately wish there could have been some interviews where the bandmembers actually talked honestly as opposed to combinations of sarcasm and outright silliness.
November 11, 2011
It was great to see footage of Keith Moon in one of the best music films I've ever seen.
April 8, 2011
This is not a film about rock'n roll, it is rock'n roll
December 14, 2010
A cracking compilation of archive interview and performance footage of The Who. This type of thing usually gets no further than preaching to the converted, but "The Kids Are Alright" is exceptional in that it could just turn you on to a band you might previously have been ambivalent about. What is abundantly clear to anyone is that they were an awesome live act, comprised of the best rock bassist, perhaps the best drummer and one of the most original songwriters of the era. Oh, and Roger Daltrey. The downside is that the interview footage is not especially illuminating. John Entwistle is largely reticent and Keith Moon hides behind his genial twit facade, but Daltrey manages to drop a few pearls of honest, no-nonsense wisdom. Pete Townshend comes across as a fascinating character, alternately self-effacing, jokey or pompous depending on how highbrow the interview is. My highlight was watching them record "Who Are You?" in the studio.
December 14, 2010
BEST MOVIE ABOUT A ROCK BAND EVER!!!! And I'm not just saying so because I'm a big Who fan or because of my endless love for Pete Townshend. No, this IS the best rockumentary ever made, mainly because it was made by a fan of the group (Jeff Stein). Rare footage, interviews, live performances (how I wish I could have been there!) , everything a fan wants to watch.
Pete's powerslide is THE greatest moment in the history of rock. The second best is Keith Moon banging his wet drums in "The Rolling Stones Rock N' Roll Circus" performance of A Quick One While He's Away.
½ October 17, 2010
Interesting for The Who fans.
½ March 9, 2010
Second only to the Stones as a great British Invasion Band of the 60's, The original lineup was just incredible and this film does them justice.
½ January 16, 2010
I love The Who, and I loved this movie. Has great live performance snippits spanning their entire career and it also shows some great interviews and homemovies of theirs. If you are a Who fan or even just a casual rock and roll fan, you'll love this film.
October 21, 2009
I finally opened this after having it forever. We used to watch this in my basement in high school all the time with the tv hooked up to the stereo for full effect. A great rockumentary with a small goldmine of stuff on Keith Moon the Loon . . .
August 18, 2009
Well put together with classic footage
February 4, 2008
As a huge WHO fan, there isn't much that I can say here that will not be bias, but that being said, this is a fucking great film.
I hadn't seen this documentary for ages, and now there is a dvd that comes with a fair bit of additional footage, the best part for me being a couple of songs with only the late John Entwistle's amazing bass, with the rest of the sound removed. Pretty amazing.
If one wants to be critical, the film is short on interviews and heavy on concert footage, but that suits me fine. The bonus disc also features a good interview with Roger, so that may help strike a better balance as a documentary.
Overall, time well spent.
½ August 14, 2005
From the footage of Tommy Smothers getting RF'd by Keith to John skeet shooting his gold records this one rocks.

And while I do like it, the idea the producers forced Pete to do the last two perfs (Won't Get Fooled Again and Baba O'Reily) live and these are the two Pete credits pushing his hearing loss to it's worst state, frankly blows.

Long Live Rock.
May 24, 2005
[color=#ffffff]Exuberant compilation of footage spanning the career of the Who, following the group from their initiation in Britain to their famous guitar-smashing antics in the '70s to their eventual comeback. It's a monumentally disjointed rock doc, but the various interviews and television appearances are hilarious, the concert footage is electric, and the soundtrack is superb; fans of the band will be especially pleased.[/color]
March 30, 2005
[color=blue]The greatest rock documentrey of all time, The Kids Are Alright, chronicles the rock band The Who, who lasted 20+ years with at least two of their original members. The Who...smashed guitars... drove cars into swimming pools...the legendary, most explosive rock band ever. The four original members of The Who includes Pete Townshhend, Keith Moon (Dead), John Entwisle (Dead), and Roger Daltrey. This is one of the best movies I've seen and is currently in my Top Ten.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Thanx,[/color]