The Who: The Kids Are Alright - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Who: The Kids Are Alright Reviews

April 10, 2016
A very real and essential rockumentary about The Who. A must for Who fans. Some rare footage is fascinating. The various vignettes and concert excerpts are together to provide an excellent time capsule of one of the greatest and most influential rock bands ever. Keith Moon died during the editing of the film, so the era provided encapsulates the genuine era of his tenure with the band. Some regard the true end of the band came with Moon's death.

The film is not that great, but the footage is priceless.
July 12, 2014
Outstanding piece of film!
½ October 14, 2013
My friends call me Keith, you can call me John.
May 10, 2013
As far as music documentaries go, this is effective in its simplest form, as widely constructed with the use of archive footage from concerts, tv show appearences and interviews we see the evolution of The Who, one of the most famous and one of the best rock and roll bands ever. To top it off, there are specially filmed performances including a beautifully shot performance of their famour hit 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. A priceless primary source based document on pop music culture, obviously filled with some amazing music.
½ November 5, 2012
.Right inbetween "Woodstock" and "The Last Waltz", this movie is the definition of rock and roll and deserves its notoriety as perhaps the great rock movie of the 20th century.
August 22, 2012
One of the best rock doc's out there with great music from one of the greatest rock groups of all time
May 28, 2012
What can i say? Greatest band ever!
November 11, 2011
The musical performances are incredible, but I desperately wish there could have been some interviews where the bandmembers actually talked honestly as opposed to combinations of sarcasm and outright silliness.
November 11, 2011
It was great to see footage of Keith Moon in one of the best music films I've ever seen.
August 12, 2011
Feels like someone captured a bunch of awesome performances and weird interviews and then forgot to edit them all together to make any sense. There's no sense of cohesion and not much in this doc you couldn't find by randomly looking at youtube clips.
May 9, 2011
As a source of archive for The Who, this film worked really well. However, it did not really allow the audience to get to know the band beyond a few of their interviews. And, it needed to be more edited.
½ April 25, 2011
a great rockumentary in which music fans alike will enjoy, this film shows compilations and clips of vintage who performances and interviews and shows the audience what the real "who" are like, very funny and very fulfilling. Who fans whould especially enjoy this obviously.
April 8, 2011
This is not a film about rock'n roll, it is rock'n roll
December 14, 2010
A cracking compilation of archive interview and performance footage of The Who. This type of thing usually gets no further than preaching to the converted, but "The Kids Are Alright" is exceptional in that it could just turn you on to a band you might previously have been ambivalent about. What is abundantly clear to anyone is that they were an awesome live act, comprised of the best rock bassist, perhaps the best drummer and one of the most original songwriters of the era. Oh, and Roger Daltrey. The downside is that the interview footage is not especially illuminating. John Entwistle is largely reticent and Keith Moon hides behind his genial twit facade, but Daltrey manages to drop a few pearls of honest, no-nonsense wisdom. Pete Townshend comes across as a fascinating character, alternately self-effacing, jokey or pompous depending on how highbrow the interview is. My highlight was watching them record "Who Are You?" in the studio.
December 14, 2010
BEST MOVIE ABOUT A ROCK BAND EVER!!!! And I'm not just saying so because I'm a big Who fan or because of my endless love for Pete Townshend. No, this IS the best rockumentary ever made, mainly because it was made by a fan of the group (Jeff Stein). Rare footage, interviews, live performances (how I wish I could have been there!) , everything a fan wants to watch.
Pete's powerslide is THE greatest moment in the history of rock. The second best is Keith Moon banging his wet drums in "The Rolling Stones Rock N' Roll Circus" performance of A Quick One While He's Away.
December 13, 2010
From Nothing To Stardom, This Sees Archive Footage Raided To Make A Superb Documentary About One Of The Best Bands Of British Rock. Sadly The Year Before The Films Release Keith Moon Had Died.
½ October 17, 2010
Interesting for The Who fans.
August 23, 2010
While it would have been cool to have been a documentary, this was just a compilation of interviews and performances. It was still awesome to watch one of my favorite bands rock.
May 30, 2010
While it was exciting to watch The Who rock as hard as they could, and entertaining to watch some interview footage, I did not particularly care for this documentary because it comes off as just a random collection of performances and interviews.