• R, 1 hr. 38 min.

The Whole Nine Yards Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 25, 2013
The Whole Nine Yards should have been a far better than what we got. The ingredients were here, but the script lacked to really make it a worthwhile comedy. Some part were funny, but most of the time, the film failed to really take off and be something memorable for film fans. The material was quite interesting, but it should have been reworked to really make it a standout film. I really wanted to enjoy this, but I was disappointed with the result we got. Some parts are funny, but most of the time, the gags falls flat, and halfway through the film, everything just falls apart. I had heard some good things about this one, but overall it fails and it has minimal laughs. This could have been something great given a rewrite or two, but the plot ends up being tiresome and tedious with no sense of how it should conclude in an effective way. Luckily Bruce Willis was interesting in his role, unfortunately the script just didn't deliver on its ideas, and it ended up being a forgettable film not worth your time. This should have been good, but it starts off good, but ends up being a failure. This was a dull film to watch, and it just ended up being a missed opportunity to making something truly worthwhile. I think they had all the necessary ingredients to make this a great comedy, but a few things seemed out of place to really make it stick out a truly funny film the way it should have been. Don't watch this one, you'd be better off watching something else in terms of comedy and The Whole Nine Yards is a bland film definitely not worth your time.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 6, 2007
Great cast. Matthew Perry is very funny in this black comedy about a dentist whose wife hires a hit man to kill him. He gots caught up in mob contract killings.
Spencer S

August 3, 2010
Funny, well though out, and great casting. Worth watching overall.
EightThirty .

May 21, 2010
10/06/2010 (DVD)

Its seriously not serious, the type of flick that "takes a piss" out of "taking a piss", seriously.

Quite an intelligent style of comedy with awkward situations that add to the twists that keep it interesting and amusing.

Although it's so predictable, its still fun to see what happens next and even though I may not watch this again, I did laugh so it's not a bad watch for my personal taste.
Jason R

April 7, 2010
Kind of cheesy, but highly entertaining.
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
It feels like they didn?t really think this one through too much. It?s messy and un-entertaining. Matthew Perry is a great actor but he was still in ?Friends mode? here.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 21, 2008
Very funny mob comedy. Matthew Perry brings excellant humor to the role of Oz who is a dentist from Chicago who lives in Montreal with his wife Sophie (played by Rosanna Arquette), who would love to kill Oz. Then adding to the problem is Jimmy Tudeski (played by Bruce Willis), a mob hitman that just moved next door to him. Hilarious black comedy of a film great perfomances by the entire cast. Bruce Willis is such a bad-ass in the film, and Amanda Peet shows off some incredible acting chops as does Natasha Hensridge. Matthew Perry ROX, and always will. I heart MP!!!
Aaron N

June 2, 2007
Oz: Damn it, Jimmy. What the hell did you have to go and move in next door to me?
Jimmy: Oz, do you know what kind of soil they have in this back yard? I've been here two days and I've got little tomato plants...
Oz: Oh my God!

A very funny movie, with some very funny performances. Willis and Perry work well together, as well as the quirky natures of all the others. Its certainly the kind of film that induces giggling often.

Perry plays Oz, a dentist, living a miserable life, married to a bitch, played by Rosanna Arquette, and he can't get out of it. Along comes Bruce Willis as a former hit man trying to move away from the mob after snitching.

Through no real fault of his own, Oz gets caught up in a scheme involving hit men vs hit men, each trying to rub one another out and get their hands on a lot of money.

Although the plot has some funny reveals, its not too important, what is funny is the dialog and reactions between these different characters.

Willis for example has two modes, quiet:

Jimmy: It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive.

and mean and raging:

Jimmy: I'm gonna keep the coke and the fries but I'm gonna send this burger back. And if you put any mayonnaise on it, I'm gonna come over to your house, I'll chop your legs off, set fire to your house, and watch as you drag your bloody stumps out the door.

While the raging is kept at a minimum, the quiet has so much more intensity to it, but is played mainly for laughs against the worrier that is Perry's character.

Cynthia: Have you vomited recently?
Oz: A minute ago. I was just gonna brush my teeth.
Cynthia: I'll wait.

The great supporting cast that includes Michael Clarke Duncan and Kevin Pollack also helps, as everyone seems to have been having a good time making this movie. The biggest surprise comes from Amanda Peet in her breakout role as a amateur assassin who immediately clings to Willis' character.

Jill St. Claire: You don't like the Walther?
Jimmy: I think you should go with what you're comfortable with.
Jill St. Claire: It's what James Bond uses.
Jimmy: Really?
Jill St. Claire: Yeah.

This is a movie that I watch with great joy a lot. Its entertaining and works well as a hitman comedy.

Oz: He sa... he said you guys haven't even met.
Sophie Oseransky: Who you going to believe? A contract killer or your wife?
Oz: Do I have to answer that?
Wildaly M

January 15, 2008
The combination of Willis and Perry is not bad. I enjoyed this one.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 14, 2007
excellant love it funny and action gd

well acted and gawjus men
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 28, 2007
Okay.
Dan S

July 7, 2007
I actually liked what I saw of this movie, haven't seen it all, but from what I saw, I really enjoyed it.
deano
deano

December 14, 2006
Very funny with Matthew Perry who recognises his new neighbour, Bruce Willis, is a hitman. Perry has his best comedy screen role in this film.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
very clever and funny, just stay away from the second one
Jason S

December 28, 2006
I though it was pretty funny. But it was forgettable.
Leigh R

November 10, 2006
Funny, but not great.
Dann M

February 7, 2013
The Whole Nine Yards a wildly entertaining and irreverent comedy that's full of laughs. When Oz discovers that his new next-door neighbor is infamous contract killer Jimmy "The Tulip" he unwittingly gets drawn into a mob war. Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, and Natasha Henstridge lead an all-star cast that delivers some great comedic performances. The writing is also rather smart, and is able to spin an intriguing tale full of misleads and double-crosses. The Whole Nine Yards takes a few missteps, but the comedy kills.
Dannielle A

September 25, 2008
It's a screwball comedy that's really funny and clever but just silly in some parts with a very long nude scene by Amanda Peet. I don't care for nudity but the rest of the move was okay.
Naughtia
Naughtia

May 14, 2010
I loved the storyline and the acting in this movie. This movie was hilarious, I loved the nervousness of Matthew Perry's character and the coolness of Bruce Willis's character. This gangster comedy is a little different from what I'm used watching and this is what I like about it.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

May 20, 2010
The Whole Nine Yards has Matthew Perry as a goofy dentist who discovers his new neighbor (Bruce Willis) is a former mobster gone straight. The movie abounds with black humor based on contract killing and Bruce Willis is great as Jimmy the Tulip. Rosanna Arquette is Perry's bitchy French Canadian wife who wants Jimmy to do a hit for her.

To complicate matters Perry ends up falling in love with the beautiful, estranged wife of Willis (Natasha Henstridge) and his demented office assistant (Amanda Peet) finally gets her wish of becoming a mobster comes true.

Bruce Willis has that stern look that chills everybody he comes in contact with in the movie. I thought he and Matthew Perry worked great together. This movie had everything comedy, romance, suspense and gangsters.