Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Reviews

½ April 11, 2015
Virtually flawless. A must see!
March 30, 2015
Brutal. Vicious. Dirty. I feel dirty.
February 7, 2015
This is shot beautifully and acted fantastically but man, I just couldn't get into it. I have a hard time thinking of this as black comedy-- It was too vicious for the sake of being vicious half the time, which just isn't funny for me. The young couple is the comic relief really, but George and Martha are just too realistic to do anything other than put a bad taste in my mouth. Obviously this is all that the triumph of Burton and Taylor's acting ability but eh, I gotta keep this at arms length.
½ January 19, 2015
Seemed like overkill to me, with very little payoff at the end.
January 8, 2015
Society's expectations on marriage culminate into the slow destruction of romantic love. Mike Nichols' adaptation of ''Who is afraid of Virginia Woolf'' portrays through its strong dialogue, outstanding performances and gorgeous cinematography, the horrors of a crumbling marriage in a very entertaining fashion.
½ December 8, 2014
This is the first time I have seen an Elizabeth Taylor movie and I can't wait to see more. She is on fire in this movie and earned that Oscar. Burton is also fantastic in this and kept me hooked for even some of the more calmer moments. George Segal and Sandy Dennis are also quite good. Mike Nichols is the master of dialogue driven films often times made for the stage first and just adapts them so well for the screen.
½ November 23, 2014
absolute shit. elizabeth taylor's propensity for overacting shows an emotional intelligence insulting to the already petulant faculties of her character.
March 17, 2013
The challenge in making a movie about detestable people is to prevent the movie from becoming detestable by extension. Being detestable is quite a bit easier than being likable, so it is no great feat to write characters like George (Richard Burton), Martha (Elizabeth Taylor), and the feckless young couple they make privy to their spats. But to make such characters compelling and sympathetic as well-a necessity if the audience is to care about the juvenile antics happening on screen-is much more challenging. Ernest Lehman's screenplay and Mike Nichols' directing are not up to the task. Burton and Taylor, unsurprisingly, are, and only their acting makes the film watchable. In an early scene Taylor gets the chance to impersonate Bette Davis, which she does remarkably well. Still, viewers seeking an intelligent film on the theme of domestic dysfunction would do better to watch Liz in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1958).
½ November 22, 2014
Intense. Frighteningly intense. With memorable lines, starting with "plowing the pertinent wives" and ending at " historical inevitability" and "hump the hostess". Not sure there is another female screen legend with such an ability to yell with abandon! What a better way to remember Mike Nichols's great career than which his first, and thoroughly classic and well respected drama!
November 21, 2014
It's based on a play, so the film is not particularly fast paced, but this is as rewarding as cinema can get in its performances, screenwriting, and directing. Mike Nichols is able to extract probably Elizabeth Taylor's best performance of all time. The script is engaging, controversial, and just demands your attention. This is just a lesson in acting from the cast.
September 13, 2012
The first time I saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, I remember thinking to myself, "What is this?" But not like that-not in a questioning or dismissive way. I asked because I could not understand how I felt so close to the characters. I had never experienced that sensation-at least not outside of my books, not in the form of real people saying their lines on a screen in front of me. Now, many years removed from that first viewing, I am inclined to write-off my reaction to my unfamiliarity with cinema's canon. But I believe I would be wrong to do that. Surely, it is due, in part, to the original playwright, Edward Albee, but I think this movie captures its audience with the reality of it all. The characters seem real, and the dialogue does too. The events and the stories are all too familiar. The tragedy of life is laid out before us, and we cannot help but weep for it.
½ September 8, 2014
This is a truly disturbing movie with great performances from the four leads.
August 24, 2014
Yes these are great performances but I was bored stupid watching this.
August 5, 2014
I often imagine I'm Elizabeth Taylor in this film...
½ July 5, 2014
Heart-wrenching and superbly acted nightmare of an evening where all illusions are eventually revealed. Illustrates broken marriages and the phony images we project that must eventually come down. The music is breathtakingly beautiful at beginning and end, but what is portrayed between is painful and ugly more often than not. Tightly shot and tense, a tremendous debut for director Nichols. All actors deserved Oscars. A snapshot of the values of the time at the same time it takes aim at each of them.
½ July 5, 2014
Liz Taylor's greatest performance imo. The b&w cinematography makes this even more haunting.
July 13, 2010
Edward Albee's words are magnificent for the silver screen, but it is the performances from Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton that truly bring the vitriol and bitterness to the surface. Many believe they modeled their performances on their real life relationship, and that this is the ultimate portrait of a crumpled marriage. Martha and George have a life built on the misconception that they can be happy based on political and social standards, but now, in their middle age, both feel the weight of their inactions and prejudices. They invite over a married couple (Sandy Dennis and George Segal) and spend the entire night fighting and degrading themselves and their guests. The play is about faith in love, and the decay of a relationship that needed to end years ago. Mike Nichols seems impervious to failure, and with this, his first venture, he has secured legions of fans who want to see the drama of interpersonal relationships displayed onscreen again and again.
June 16, 2014
Two couples engaged in some weird games during the late night. Self-destructive people in really rough black comedy drama film.
June 7, 2014
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is a 2 hour film of solid dialogue between two married couples. An interesting idea that if put with the wrong film would make it hard work to finish, However, what Virginia Woolf has is a well written and acted script that is entertaining to witness until the end. Played to perfection by the four cast members, including Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, you can't help but feel like you are watching the actions of two actual drunk couples. Some of the one liners involved within their chemistry makes you physically laugh aloud forcing you to pay attention as they come out of no where. Just as the scene quietens downs, it doesn't take long for one character to throw a line towards another to get the characters and the viewers alert.
The story may not have any form of dramatic conclusion or heavy narrative, but the 2 hours are well spent if it means witnessing the arguments and remarks between an unhappy couple and their new 'friends'.