Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself Reviews

December 5, 2011
Well, this was definitely a surprise! Dark, yes. Comedy, not so much. Really fantastic writing, and the slow development of characters that aren't contrived or condescending. Even as tired as I was while watching this, I could not stop watching. I found this story mesmerizing....well done.
November 1, 2008
Mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, very original story and well cast (even Shirley Henderson is very good here. Not nearly as "screetchy" as normal - I am sure she puts that voice on!), also quite funny in a dark way thanks to Julia Davis (I can never take her seriously. I just see Jill from NIghty Night whenever I see her!).
There was just something about the story itself that didn't sit quite right with me. It seemed horrible for Wilbur and Alice to be carrying on behind Harbour's back, and then the final scene seemed disrespectful to Harbour. I don't want to spell it all out and ruin it for those who have not seen this, but those who have will know what I mean. Perhaps I am missing the point, I am not sure...
April 5, 2007
One of the most bizarre films I have ever seen. Not that it's surreal per se, just... very odd. It's touching, well acted, nicely scored, but it's also all over the place and if there was a point to be made - and it felt like there shold be - I didn't get it. Unless it's that suicide is bad.
May 11, 2012
The movie's subject matter is very dark and downbeat, but somehow the director manages to make a romantic comedy out of it. As bizarre as it may sound, it actually works. There were several scenes where I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time... I guess that's the idea of a black comedy.
½ October 22, 2009
the brothers of opposite characters live same life with all it's troubles and miracles. But show different reactions. And trying to fill the gaps in their lives. An emotional and a funny movie that makes me lol several times. But the story is too slow and to far from being fascinating. But wort watching.
November 10, 2014
Pounds, shillings and pence and an L reg taxi. Not only that Horst's PC is post decimilation. Mr Scherfig should chastise his his property master!!
January 23, 2013
Deeply touch , but mediocre
August 17, 2011
It looks fine and the acting is good but 'Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself' doesn't work. The movie is manipulative and drenched in tedious sentimentality. Worst of all it isn't funny.
August 11, 2011
An excellent film, though let down ever so slightly by its inconclusive ending.
September 6, 2009
Second movie of the weekend by Lone Scherfig after "Italiensk for begyndere". The storyline brings a lot of interesting themes and situations. The dialogues are sometimes quite funny but they could also be hard like the reality lived in the movie. I was a little bit dissapointed with the music, hence my -10%. The sountrack tried to emphasize some feelings that were already present with the acting and the story. Besides is just a typical pseudo classical soundtrack with a standard little orchestra making an excessive use of piano and strings... the music is cheesy, kitschy, corny... hatever you want to name it. Anyway, it's a pretty good movie, even if the first half is just a prelude to the later events and the suicidal tendencies of Wilbur start to turn annoying. There goes another -10%
July 25, 2007
:fresh: [b][i]Wilbur wants to Kill Himself [/i][/b]is an interesting, sometimes funny film that focuses in a man that tries to commit suicide several times but he always fails, little by little he recovers hope and illusion for living thanks to Alice and her daughter Mary that made Wilbur and his brother Harbour happier and made them fall in love. The film is far from being perfect because there are some aspects that stood superficial and other moments that were weak and a little boring.
July 24, 2007
It was a good movie, I liked it. It was interesting and well-made, although sometimes it was a little slow.
½ June 29, 2005
En mi opinión, Wilbur se Quiere Suicidar es una de las mejores películas europeas de los últimos años, y eso que las ha habido muy buenas. Y después de verla, uno se pregunta: ¿cómo será el cine danés? Llegan a España tan pocas películas danesas....

Es una historia que mezcla con gran habilidad la comedia con el drama, llegando a convertir escenas en teoría trágicas, en irónicas. Porque una película sobre un chico que intenta cada dos por tres suicidarse, y que milagrosamente (gracias a su hermano también) siempre sobrevive, necesita tener sus dosis de humor. Los personajes están definidos a la perfección, y las interpretaciones son de bandera.

Wilbur se Quiere Suicidar es un fim absolutamente recomendable para todos, porque aunque parezca mentira, te insufla ánimos y muchas ganas de vivir.

Un saludo!
June 11, 2005
Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself - 3.5/4
April 20, 2005
INTERESTING STORY, A RATHER DARK COMEDY/DRAMA. VERY WELL ACTED BY A GOOD CAST, ESPECIALLY SHIRLEY HENDERSON. DIRECTOR SCHERFIG PUT A LOT OF THOUGHT INTO THE FILM. IT'S PRETTY GOOD, WORTH WATCHING ONCE ANYWAY
March 26, 2005
This movie had it all.....laughs, tears, fun, and seriousness. I enjoyed it. There is a great message behind the whole thing. It was worthwhile.
February 5, 2005
Wilbur is a semi-effective black comedy about two Scot brothers, one that wants to kill himself, the other that is doomed to deadly fate. The brothers meet a poor woman and her daughter and the two woman proceed to change both men's perspectives on life. The movie's most effective part is its first half when its more of a black comedy. The second half of the film tends to lurch into quirky melodrama.