20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Wild Geese Reviews

Anthony L

December 6, 2013
It's hard to take The Wild Geese seriously, it is instead purely enjoyed as both a nostalgia trip and an example of 'it shouldn't be half as fun as it is'. I say that because of the obvious attempt at trying to give an anti-racist message, making the film acceptable when it is in fact not just racist but homophobic and sexist too. It's a sign of the times for sure. It is both fun and completely ridiculous to watch these aged men act like what have to be the worst mercenaries the world has ever seen. They do a really crap job of it as well, it's pretty laughable throughout even considering its age. It does have some cracking lines in it;

Faulkner: I'm dry when I work.
Sir Edward Matherson: Yes, so I've heard.
Faulkner: There's a separate clause in my contract that says my liver is to be buried separately with honors.
Sir Edward Matherson: I'm not a very humorous man.
Faulkner: So I've noticed.

It would have been a much better film had they just taken it all a little less seriously.
Al S

February 5, 2013
A big, spectacular and explosive good time for two hours. It's smart, very funny and loaded with non-stop action. A classic action movie that you cant help but love. It's a thrilling and endlessly enjoyable British version of The Expendables. It's packed with action, humor, and a large list of British stars that all delivers the goods. I loved this film. Richard Harris, Roger Moore and Richard Burton are excellent together, they are the perfect combo of wit, attitude and heart. Movies like this are rarely made anymore but its nice to look back and see where our heroes of today were inspired from our heroes of back in the day.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

May 12, 2010
Wild Bunch vibe, with a british flavour. In many ways this has the soul and form that was lacking in The Expendables. British people truly are more badass by default.
kpn666
kpn666

January 14, 2008
An action war thriller which takes the best parts of the Dirty Dozen, the Dogs of War and others and rolls them into this hectic flick with more than a touch of style and throw in a star leading cast and yep, it works!

One of the best war action movies Ive seen, they sure dont make them as they used to! Meet the Wild Geese, a mercenary group hired to rescue an exiled African president for a British CEO whose interests lie in the Presidents country's copper mines, an obvious plot of treachery and deception afoot. But when things go astray, the Wild Geese decide if they are going to die, they will die hurting those who betrayed them where it hurts - and crossing these men will come at a high price as the CEO and the African dictators' army will find out the hard way.

Its smart, a great script, some great humor and near realistic action scenes, its not a movie with all the huff and fluff of Hollywood, but a geunine near reality based movie, so no fancy computer imagery or such, just nice raw cinema at its best.

Yep, defintley a war movie to watch!
Danny R

September 12, 2010
A entertaining good old blood and guts action-adventure, starring the late Richard Burton in a first-rate performance as a fearless veteran mercenary, Colonel Faulkner who has been employed by a sinister British banker, well played by Stewart Granger, who in a effort to advance his own business interests, wants him to free a deposed African president from a brutal prison in Africa, before he is executed by a ruthless dictator. Burton contacts and also hires his former mercenary compatriots, played terrifically by Roger Moore and Richard Harris, who organized 50 crack mercenary paratroops to go to a remote hostile corner of Africa to rescue the imprisoned president. Burton and his team of mercenaries accomplished their mission, only to fine out the hard way that they have been double-crossed by the banker, who has struck a new deal with the dictator. Solid direction by Andrew V. MacLaglen, with excellent supporting performances by Hardy Kruger, Jack Wetson, Winston Ntshona, John Kani, and Kenneth Griffith. The thrilling combat battle sequences are well-choreographed, and the nail-biting climactic escape is very suspenseful. Filmed on location in South Africa. Highly Recommended.
DrLappos
DrLappos

September 15, 2007
Brilliant. Old Brits with guns and stuff....
FanadFilmsProduction
FanadFilmsProduction

May 5, 2007
This was one of the most real performances Richard Burton ever gave. Also, Roger Moore and Richard Harris were amazing in it.

I could watch this over and over again.
FanBoyCritic
September 17, 2010
Good luck to you, you Godless murderers.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Edward%20Cantillo/My%20Documents/cooltext469859153.png.pngMixing action, humor, sentiment, and even a few righteous moral convictions, The Wild Geese is good, rousing fun. Released theatrically in 1978 (oddly, this 2005 DVD release is referred to as the "30th Anniversary Edition"), director Andrew V. McLaglen?s film depicts the adventures of a group of British mercenaries hired by a shady multinational corporation to free the benevolent leader of an African nation held captive by a ruthless dictator. Led by the caustic, no-nonsense Col. Allen Faulkner (Richard Burton), these soldiers of fortune are all stout fellows out to earn a big payday and restore a good man to his rightful place of power (the underlying message of universal racial brotherhood is effective, if somewhat simplistic), and they do their job swiftly and efficiently... at least until they're double-crossed by their venal, perfidious employers, at which point the film becomes a tale of survival and revenge. The cast, which also includes Richard Harris, Roger Moore, and a host of other fine veteran actors, is first-rate, the story-telling efficient, the dialogue entertaining (with occasional bursts of profanity), and the action reasonably exciting and not overly graphic. And even if the pace is somewhat leisurely by new millennium standards (we're nearly an hour into it before the actual mission starts), The Wild Geese is a very enjoyable ride. Bonus features include a profile of producer Euan Lloyd and commentary by Lloyd, Moore, and journalist Jonathan Sothcott. --Sam Graham
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Edward%20Cantillo/My%20Documents/cooltext469858658.png.png
The first few minutes were really boring but his was anstounding movie. All cause of acting and effects and you have a little bit of good acting.
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
January 30, 2009
Ex mercs claim this is one of the more realistic mercenary films. A great cast of my favorite, gristled, alcoholic actors (it's true -several had a provision in their contracts to stay off the sauce until production concluded) and a believable conclusion. Plenty of action and more importantly, political realism.
caarnold2
August 25, 2006
My favorite movie- a wonderfully realistic look at mercenary warfare as it was from the 60s to the 80s.
vincentvangogh1889
June 13, 2006
Richard Burton, Roger Moore and Richard Harris are great as three British mercenaries hired to rescue an imprisoned African leader. They don't make good action movies like this any more.
January 19, 2014
So great to see Burton, Harris and Moore having such a ball in this tough and gritty thriller. The back story is great and puts it above such nonsense as The Dirty Dozen but the run into the climax is a bit of a tedious runaround and shoot 'em up.
November 5, 2013
They mostly come at night,mostly
Plot/Summary57 years after the original attack, Ripley and a crew of marines return to the planet to kill the remaining aliens that have slaughtered the colonists on the planet.
My Review
This is one of those movies that, whenever we find it on cable, no matter w
hat part is on, we can't help but tune in. There is too much awesomeness in this movie to identify just one reason why Cameron's 1986 sequel to Ridley Scott's Alien works as well as it does.

Aliens continues the story of the number one cause of hurtin' for chicks named "Ripley." It adds a new layer to the Alien's biological cycle, introducing an Alien Queen and ? in doing so ? one of the big screen's best and scariest villains. The hit sequel is a bullet of a movie that packs the perfect amount of character development, horror and action into a story that could have been thread-bare in a lesser craftsman's hands.

Ripley's return to LV-426, the planet where she first encountered the alien, is now home to a shake-n-bake colony of families and workers, which is basically ringing the dinner bell for the xenomorphs to prove that, in space, everyone can hear you scream if you die loud enough.

Ripley joins an elite group of Colonial Marines sent on a bug hunt, and they quickly find that neither flame thrower nor bug-eyed troopers by way of Hudson are a match for things that bleed acid and sweat slime. Cameron's decision to keep Ripley and Newt as the emotional core of the movie makes the increasing threats around them all the more conducive putting us on the edge of our seats.

That, coupled with the Power Loader vs. Alien Queen showdown, underscored by James Horner's epic score, is why Aliens is not just a great Cameron film, but one of the best movies ever made.
February 15, 2013
Yesterday we sat down to watch another oldie that I had seen when I was younger quite some years ago. I remember this movie being quite high on my list of movies that I appreciated as a kid so when I saw it coming it on Blu-ray I had to get it. It is still a decent film but I remembered it as better.

The story is a fairly old a frequently reused one. Band of mercenary gets a mission by some person or entity of debatable reputation. Said person or entity double-crosses them, usually in a way which leaves them stranded and with a very short life expectancy. One or more of the mercenaries did not have his or hers imminent demise written into the script and thus ruins the plans, and usually the life, of one or more persons on the double-crossing side. Nothing wrong with a trusted and tried story as long as it is well done.

In 1978 when this film was made I guess the actions scenes were considered fairly good. Today they are rather mediocre though. The mercenaries that are supposed to be experts are behaving in a fairly amateurish manner. The bridge attack scene is especially annoying in that these people just sit there waiting for the plane to make pass after pass instead of getting their behinds under cover. In a later scene Richard Harris is seen shooting at the bad guys together with a bunch of his fellow mercenaries but his gun is pointing in a 30 degree angle upwards. He might have hit some real geese but sure as hell not any of the bad guys.

As so many films from the 70's it also tries to make a political statement but that particular part is just boringly old today. A South African running around and calling the guy they are supposed to rescue for "kaffer" all the time because he is black is at best a historical curiosity, and a fairly boring one at that, today. Naturally a 5 minute, equally boring, speech from the black guy turns the South African guy. Boring and silly.

That is not to say that the movie is a bad one. It is still worth watching. The first parts of the movie, when the main characters are introduced, is quite enjoyable. I especially liked the bad attitude of Col. Faulkner. I have always liked Richard Burton as an actor and he doesn't disappoint in this movie. Roger Moore is of course always Roger Moore. Whether or not you like him is another story. Also, even though it is not up to today's standards there are plenty of watchable action in the later parts of the movie.

So I did enjoy my oldie movie evening but the movie was not as good as I remembered. But then that is maybe not too surprising when you re-watch a move that you first saw as a kid.
October 12, 2012
One of the absolute classic special forces/operations films of all-time. Really does a good job of portraying the historically critical role of mercenary units frequently used during the Cold War (even still today) in Africa when the need for a covertly planned coup was called for and answered by men (characters) brilliantly played by Richard Burton. The supporting cast is excellent as well with Roger Moore and Richard Harris to name just a few. Highly recommended for action/military aficionados.
FilmGrinder S.
July 27, 2012
It's THE DIRTY DOZEN with aging mercenarys, with a bloody (English slang) high body count and former 007 agent, Roger Moore.
April 21, 2012
Nothing outstanding, but a solid cast and I liked it.
November 20, 2011
Splendid action film, with first rate acting--Burton and Harris are untouchable. The story works, but it is too close to the truth for contemporary politically correct imbeciles, who would as soon forget about Moise Tshombe, the betrayal of the Congo, and the willingness of many in the West to embrace any thugs whatsoever under the banner of "decolonialization". But perhaps these spastic leftist sentiments have receded enough to permit people to enjoy a good film.
moviebuff18cab
April 28, 2008
THE WILD GEESE (1978)
Connor M.
December 11, 2010
A good old shoot em up blood and guts british action film.