Wild Tigers I Have Known - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild Tigers I Have Known Reviews

March 25, 2008
Cam Archer is a 24-year-old with a future. At least that's the impression given by his first feature, Wild Tigers I Have Known, which he wrote and directed. Unfortunately, the talent on display here is oft times ill-used, and that makes the film a frustrating experience.
½ June 23, 2007
Wow I'm not really sure what to think.. To much 13 year old masturbation haha. But its was really artsy I liked that.. I Thought he looked really good. Esp with that wig. I loved it!
July 12, 2009
Filmed and edited with a detached, dream-like style, "Wild Tigers I Have Known" is one of the more unique films I've seen in a long time; even when compared to other, similar indie flicks. Its sense of style never comes across as pretentious - only honest.

This is because the bizarre lighting, unusual coloration, low-key score, and at times silent soundtrack can only be seen as appropriate in light of its story. The story features an introspective and daydreaming 13 year-old boy on the cusp of puberty, Logan, who finds himself attracted to the stud of the junior high school - Rodeo. He is so attracted, in fact, that he dons an on-the-phone female persona to lure his crush in. When they meet in person, and Rodeo sees that it is not a girl, but that strange Logan kid who he's been hanging out with, well...

How ELSE should a director logically treat such awkwardness, other than how Cam Archer treats it here?

I suppose Archer could have tamed his curious eye and gone for cheap laughs, potty humor, bright lighting, a feel-good soundtrack, and farcical contrivances with regards to Logan's female persona and the big reveal to Rodeo, but that would have placed him in danger of winning distribution offers from Hollywood.

Such unique and daring choices on the technical aspects of the film combine to create an atmosphere of isolation and loneliness, as well as highlight the boredom which comes from being different in middle school. A couple of scenes use wry humor to show how out of touch the faculty is with kids like Logan, and these moments succeed wonderfully, as does a heartbreaking scene between Logan and his mother over spilled groceries.

Some people in the audience could be as bored and confused at the end of the day as the main characters, no doubt, but those who would are probably not the type to seek out films like this in the first place.
½ January 26, 2009
This movie is Americas answer to foreign films, this thing takes art to another level, this kind of movie is capable of redeeming your soul
½ November 10, 2008
Beautiuflly photographed scenery from somewhere. That's it. Hints and peeks at a 13 year old trying to deal with his sexuality.
June 8, 2008
The strong material is drowned in subpar David Lynch excess and indie movie conventions. Too bad because Cam Archer clearly has talent and he gets some good performances out of no name actors.
½ February 28, 2008
One of the strangest, most beautifully photographed independent films I've seen, and so very accurate about the awkward reality of middle school. Sort of an 'Elephant' for middle school. It's a very impressive first feature.
February 24, 2008
An ambitious work that isn't always successful. Definitely an "ART FILM" with little dialog and lots of weird camera/composite work. The ended baffled me. I guess it was upbeat in one way.
February 16, 2008
Awkwardness, sexuality, coolness, school, obsessions, lonliness, friendships, day dreams, craziness...all in this movie about a 13 yr old boy. The movie itself make you feel the strange feelings you have as a teenager. With beautiful music and imagery, Cam Archer also showed the beauty of teens growing up. The story took off from great start, but went downwards and just ended.
½ August 24, 2007
Meet Logan (Malcolm Stumpf). He lives with what appears to be either a severely bipolar or severely bitchy mother (Fairuza Balk), and no dad. It's never explained exactly where his dad is. Anyway, the first shot we have of Logan is him with his hand down his pants. Endearing, no? And besides that startling first impression of Logan, he has emo hair! Gasp.

No, seriously, Logan's just lonely and depressed. He's thirteen years old and struggling with his newfound homosexuality. He has only one friend, Joey (Max Paradise), who is desperate to be 'cool', and writes a list on how to do so. They're your two basic middle school outcasts.

Until Logan meets Rodeo (pronounced Ro-day-O, played by Patrick White), after a visit to the school counselors office - who obviously has some idea about what Logan's going through. She asks him if he feels 'different' from the other students, and if it wasn't obvious before, it is when Logan meets Rodeo. Right from the start, Logan is obviously infatuated with the older, more popular boy. Rodeo eventually offers to take Logan to see the mountain lions that live in the woods behind the school, one of which was shot on campus recently.

As Logan becomes more and besotted by Rodeo, he creates an alter ego named Leah and talks to Rodeo on the phone with a disguised voice, hoping to get the older boy to like him by being someone else. When Rodeo finds out the girl he's had phone sex with isn't a girl, Logan looks more shocked than Rodeo himself. 'You really didn't know?' he asks, and the look on his face as Rodeo walks away is heartbreaking.

Wild Tigers I Have Known is a very visual movie, and it sometimes seems as if it's told more through the images and thoughts in Logan's mind than it is through the dialogue, and that's what makes it good to me, although it may not be for some people. Malcolm Stumpf is absolutely stunning, doing a better acting job than I would have ever expected from someone so young.

The movie ends, not happily, but more in resignation. Being a teenager is hard, and the added pressure of realizing that you're gay isn't easy - trust me, I'll vouch for that XD Near the end of the movie, there's one scene where Logan's mom is stroking his hair, and she says something incredibly wise, considering I wanted to hit her for the whole movie. 'It's up to you, you know, how long you want to hate it for'.

Wild Tigers definitely isn't a movie for everyone, but it's offbeat and quirky, and it doesn't follow the rules of modern movies.
May 22, 2015
Cam Archer's overtly stylized view of childhood sexuality is harmed by the intended approach which feels far too distant. That said, I suspect this artist has fully realized his vision. Unfortunately, this vision and the way in which Archer tells his story feels forced and feels too vague.
August 23, 2014
A very touching portrayal of what it is like to be 13 and different and gay. I know I was.
November 9, 2013
Slight gay coming-of-age film seems very self-important.
June 27, 2012
While the storyline is simple enough, this artsy (and boy do I mean artsy) indie flick becomes convoluted in a messy web of pretentious visuals that pick you up and drop you back down, only to leave you with nothing by the end of the film.
January 24, 2012
An interesting perspective into the mind of a child and his sexuality.
October 17, 2011
Muy notoriamente basada en la parte onirica del maestro Gus Van Sant, pero sin el efecto indicado. "Wild Tigers I Have Known" lo unico que tiene interesante es el titulo. Es larga... larga... larga... a pesar de solo durar 81 minutos no tiene nada interesante. Es la historia del crush que desarrolla un nino de 13 con uno de 18 que suena que le hacen todo tipo de cosas, ademas de disfrazarse de mujer, ser molestado en la escuela, etc. Solo para fans del genero.
February 8, 2011
This movie is slow and hard to follow!
½ December 8, 2010
trippy. lots of slow and stupid, just like jr. high. better music though.
½ August 6, 2010
I love artsy fartsy movies, but this one is extremely slow. Real slow. You can stop watching for 10 minutes and wouldn't miss anything.

It's clearly inspired by the work of Gus Van Sant (I mean, he even executive produced) and it has beautiful cinematography, but it's really slow.